Old 10-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Goderich
Norfolk to Jacksonville in Nov.

I am planning on moving a 38 ft Chris Craft down the ICW in late November. Only has an upper helm so was checking on others with experience to see how burdensome the cold is going to be.
Bradlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. B. Just a guess...

Of course as I age, my blood is getting a LOT thinner. Have a good safe trip.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Have been leaving Jersey in Early Dec for the last 4 years...usually hit Norfolk around the 15th of Dec or so.

One year there was snow on the ground in early December so there will possibly be days in the 30s and 40s. Probably most of the days till you hit at least Beaufort, NC you will vary in the 50s to 60s but as long as you can get out of the wind....it shouldn't be too bad.

Every mile you head south from Norfolk helps. If you are going straight down and plan on being in Jax before Christmas...you should hit mostly reasonable days.

I could be terribly wrong just based on La Nina coming...check the climate data for a few major stops along the way and check the highs and lows throughout the time you plan on travelling.

I have seen Viking sportfishers being delivered in some pretty tough weather in the winter. Those guys didn't even have a venture to hide behind. They just wore Mustang suits and gritted their teeth.

If you can run a small inverter, a heating pad under the coat is reaaly helpful...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If you can run a small inverter, a heating pad under the coat is reaaly helpful...

Did Chesapeake to Fort Lauderdale several years late October early November..... Some years it was shorts and t-shirts some years it was below freezing, at least for the early part.

I installed a 12V outlet by the helm and bought one of these....

Gerbing Gyde Heated Vest Liner - 12V Motorcycle - The Warming Store

One of the best purchases ever......
Old 10-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Used to make the New England- Keys-Islands jag every year.

We had Thanksgiving in Georgetown SC one year, and left Savannah mid December after a couple weeks having work done at Thunderbolt. Did get cold a few days in Savannah and some bad fog south of there. But another year we were also in Georgia in late November , Thanksgiving anchored out in Walburg Creek, and the whole trip was delightful. But October was our favorite time by far.

So what are you going to get? Who knows? Like your mom used to say, "Take a Jacket!"

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Tough time of year to plan for....last year I was in a t shirt in early December..had to jog around jet skis trolling for stripers around the Bay Bridge in the Chesapeake....2 years earlier...we had to chip ice off the cleats to get dock lines on in the C&D canal.

Pack a jacket. a thermal hoodie and a heating pad...or a good mustang (safety wise is better) and a good heating pad.

I am glad for a lower helm and good bus heater.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
Guru

We departed Norfolk last year on November 16 and arrived Jacksonville on Jan 1. We watched fire works in Fernandina Bch, FL in shorts and t shirt. Most of the trip was very pleasant. We had a small portable propane heater and also the boat reverse cycle heaters. We hardly used them south of Norfolk. But not all years are like that as others have said. Just be prepared for colder wx and you should be OK.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #8

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
I have purchased a small 110 volt electric heater to use on a flybridge at foot level that made a big difference for late season deliveries.
One year while going north through the lock at Great Bridge in December some guy was yelling at me from the bank. As I got closer I could hear him tell me to get my compass fixed.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What should I expect for real worldtime to make this trip assuming no sight seeing, daytime travel only, good weather and 10 knots average. I know what the math says but was wondering how realistic that was. BTW, my math says 2 weeks.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #10

City: Great Lakes Region
The good news is your heading South on the ICW in late November and not North. Have a safe trip.
Salt Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #11
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
There seems to be an awful lot of threads of northern boaters heading south to Jacksonville recently.

Guys, we're full!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #12

City: Great Lakes Region
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
There seems to be an awful lot of threads of northern boaters heading south to Jacksonville recently.

Guys, we're full!
Good one.
Salt Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradlesh View Post
I am planning on moving a 38 ft Chris Craft down the ICW in late November. Only has an upper helm so was checking on others with experience to see how burdensome the cold is going to be.
Is the upper helm open, or a top, or any form of enclosure?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes, it has a full enlosure.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Yes, it has a full enlosure.
Then I'd make sure I had some type heater and not worry. Typically days in Norfolk that time of year are mid to upper 50's and nights are lower 40's. Early morning will be challenging. Perhaps need to visit the coffee threat. Through SC, the weather will basically be very similar as you're getting later but also further south. Then by the time you reach FL, expect mid 60's and mid 40's, although this year is forecast to be warmer.

By mid afternoon with the sun coming through you'll be ready for short sleeved tshirts.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Gerbing vests are great. I have a complete liner suit including gloves and socks from them. Used to fly an open cockpit aircraft in Maryland in January with it and a thinsulite suit over it.

If everything goes right, Norfolk to Jacksonville can be done in 7 days, maybe less. Did Fort Myers to Norfolk in 12 or 13 a few years ago. Then again, things seldom work like that. I would plan 10 days without any break downs.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
What should I expect for real worldtime to make this trip assuming no sight seeing, daytime travel only, good weather and 10 knots average. I know what the math says but was wondering how realistic that was. BTW, my math says 2 weeks.
We sometimes move very quickly, but with the cold, I wouldn't recommend planning on long days and pushing it. You're going to be dealing with conditions overnight, early morning starts, and our typical 7:00 AM start or even 7:30 is a bit early most mornings. Sometimes there will still be fog. Also, at the end of the day you'll want to be safely where you're headed and in warm by dark. I'd plan on 80 nm days and because that won't always tie to where you want to stop, you'll average more like 70 or so with some 60's, some 80's. The division then says 10 days and you'll have some days you may not want to move or may move very little. Your two weeks sounds good to me and if you make it faster, so be it.

I would plan something like this.
......................................... Fast Slow
Norfolk to MHC/Beaufort...........2 days 3
Beaufort to Southport...............2 3
Southport to Charleston............2 3
Charleston to Fernandina..........3 4
Fernandina to Jacksonville........1 1

Now, those may not be where you'll choose to stop. Just an example of how I see the trip.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Gerbing vests are great. I have a complete liner suit including gloves and socks from them. Used to fly an open cockpit aircraft in Maryland in January with it and a thinsulite suit over it.
We purchased outdoor, cross country, ski type jackets at Academy Sports. A brand much like Columbia but far cheaper, not figuring we'd have much need. Also a full head and face mask/toboggan and good gloves. Amazing how easy it makes outdoor activities. It's not heavy at all, but warm. And warm socks and shoes are critical. i guarantee at some point along the way your feet will get wet so be prepared to change.

We cruised the Erie in May and had a couple of cold days and cruised the Illinois and Mississippi in October with the same. The only time we were ever uncomfortable was at the dock in the morning untying and leaving.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
What is your bridge clearance and comfortable cruising speed? For example, being able to get under a few of the bridges can turn Morehead City to Southport into a one day trip, though one issue is you are dealing with is short periods of daylight. If the weather is nice, going outside from Beaufort/MHC to Wrightsville(Masonboro Inlet) at least is preferable, an easy one day trip and avoids the bridges and possible ICW closures at Camp Lejeune. There are a few other spots where going outside cuts time and you are not missing much scenery wise. Don't be in too much of a hurry if you can avoid it, as there are some nice cruising grounds and anchorages to enjoy via the ICW.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #20
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Keep in mind that many marinas suffered damage from hurricane Mathew. Some are closed, some are not taking transients and some are not selling fuel. Better call in advance and plan accordingly.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote