Anchoring in a creek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a BIG difference between derogatory "yelling" at someone and "talking loudly" [even very loudly] to be heard. Voice inflections, body stance and appendage movements as well as facial expressions are easily recognizable portions of the difference... not to mention exactly what words are used.

When "spoken loudly" to I calmly take notice of things apparent and what the person speaking loudly is trying to communicate. When "yelled" at I get pissed. Still taking notice of things apparent and trying to understand what communication the yeller is trying to get across.

IMO - Speaking loudly to someone is OK and sometimes needed. Yelling at someone in a derogatory manner is not OK and very seldom [if ever] needed. Also... speaking loudly rarely ever amounts to a fight. Yelling too often can and simply does get fighting juices flowing!

Calm, understandable communications is the key! :thumb:

There is a BIG difference between derogatory "yelling" at someone and "talking loudly" [even very loudly] to be heard. Voice inflections, body stance and appendage movements as well as facial expressions are easily recognizable portions of the difference... not to mention exactly what words are used.

We have videos that show people how difficult it is to tell the nature of the yelling or the actions. We'd show those videos and let people try to guess what was going on. Given two choices they were less than 60% right. Now, obviously staged situations but it is part of manager and supervisor training. If you're not very close, it can be very difficult to interpret. Plus people have different mannerisms. A lot of regional differences in even speech patterns. People in different areas react differently to the same words and body stance.

I'm sure if you asked the man who is the subject of this how he sees himself thinking back to it, you'd get a far different answer vs what he really looked and sounded like. We often don't see ourselves well at the moment.

" Yelling too often can and simply does get fighting juices flowing! "

This is very true. Luckily, in this case, there was no fight. The OP decided not to say anything in return. Many males, particularly with a bit of alcoholic courage would have responded in kind and as I posted previously, this could have escalated into something far more serious.

I think the lesson here is:

1) Don't be an ******* on the water. You are not in charge.

2) If you encounter said *******, ignore him if possible. Nothing good will come of challenging him.

Like they say about advice on the internet....well some say it all the time....:rofl:

Of course if the other captain would like to yell at me... I'd ask him aboard for a friendly short discussion! - LOL

I know H will appreciate the last portion of the last paragraph!!! :rofl: :D :thumb:

Art me Irish Bro.

The good old short 6'' will always do the trick Mate. :thumb: :rofl:

Then they can bugger off! :eek::rofl:

Cheers

H.

I have anchored in Chisholm and creek a couple times. I know the place you were talking about and think it is fine for anchoring. There is no reason that you were not safe. You were not inconveniencing traffic. I think I would've asked him what his problem was.

Gordon

Back when I used to be a fishing guide I'd sometimes have reason to speak to other boaters whom I didn't know about their behavior. I mainly guided fly fisherman for tarpon. We would set up on the shallow edge of a sandbar or bank and wait for the fish to come to us. Usually there would be at least two, sometimes as many as five boats doing the same thing as me.

Problem is, that often attracts other fisherman to the area, usually inexperienced guys who are fishing for trout or whatever they could get. They would often, without realizing it, get right in the path that the tarpon use to get to the boats that were there long before them. They didn't mean to do it, but they would foul up the fishing for all the other boats. And usually they didn't catch anything at all themselves, it wasn't a good spot for trout.

They weren't doing anything wrong, but they were being quite inconsiderate, even though it was a result of ignorance.

Many of my guide buddies, professional boaters who spend 6 or 7 days a week on the water like the towboat guy, would go over and yell/curse at them. I never found that to be effective in getting someone to move. I'd just idle up, smiling all the way, and say something like "Hey guys, what's up? Finding any fish? Look, I know you probably don't know it but..." and then I'd point to a better spot to trout fish.

It worked pretty well, other than with the occasional A-Hole. It's all about attitude.

Back when I used to be a fishing guide I'd sometimes have reason to speak to other boaters whom I didn't know about their behavior. I mainly guided fly fisherman for tarpon. We would set up on the shallow edge of a sandbar or bank and wait for the fish to come to us. Usually there would be at least two, sometimes as many as five boats doing the same thing as me.

Problem is, that often attracts other fisherman to the area, usually inexperienced guys who are fishing for trout or whatever they could get. They would often, without realizing it, get right in the path that the tarpon use to get to the boats that were there long before them. They didn't mean to do it, but they would foul up the fishing for all the other boats. And usually they didn't catch anything at all themselves, it wasn't a good spot for trout.

They weren't doing anything wrong, but they were being quite inconsiderate, even though it was a result of ignorance.

Many of my guide buddies, professional boaters who spend 6 or 7 days a week on the water like the towboat guy, would go over and yell/curse at them. I never found that to be effective in getting someone to move. I'd just idle up, smiling all the way, and say something like "Hey guys, what's up? Finding any fish? Look, I know you probably don't know it but..." and then I'd point to a better spot to trout fish.

It worked pretty well, other than with the occasional A-Hole. It's all about attitude.

Doug - Well put!

I have anchored in Chisholm and creek a couple times. I know the place you were talking about and think it is fine for anchoring. There is no reason that you were not safe. You were not inconveniencing traffic. I think I would've asked him what his problem was.

Gordon

Thanks for that Gordon, I agree, there was hundreds of feet to the shore from where I was anchored.
It is like a harassment to be challenged about where you anchored when it inconvenienced none. Someday I plan to go again to anchor there.

This shite is funny (in a way). Shouldn't everyone be arguing about politics or something?

Could it not be that the towboat operator was warning of 'bad spot' that contained an unmarked shoal or obstruction, and was trying to be helpful? Or suggesting such a large-for-the-creek boat might want to anchor further into the channel, to make sure there was enough water?

The perceived glare might simply have been because his efforts were completely ignored.

Oh wait, he's already been declared a jerk and an A-hole....that couldn't be it.

During this 4 pages of posts, I tracked the guy down and called him.
He didn't say, "You're in a bad spot." He said, "Do you have any pot?"
He apologizes for not speaking even louder but said he was feeling a little paranoid, "...in case the cops were around, man."✌️☮️

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom