Anchorages you have had to yourself for a week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diver dave

Guru
Vessel Name
Coquina
Vessel Make
Lagoon 380
I'm on the lookout for those semi-exotic anchorages where I expect to be the only one there. They may be hard to enter, in a tucked away area, or otherwise just been lucky to have no other boat in site for at least a week.

I'll start with two:

26ºN 33' 25.4"; 77ºW 51' 44"

24ºN 07' 39.9"; 74ºW 29' 37.1"

Pine Island Bay, Antarctica.....well, me and the other 320 souls on board USCGC Glacier. :)

Hard to keep a good anchorage secret for very long....anywhere along the AICW.

Good start but new rule. Lat long a must or it never happened[emoji848]

"Lollypop"the local name for a sand pit 1/2 mile from our house in FL.

Deep and protected , some claim to have seen FL Panthers at dusk , coming for a drink.

Not a great swim spot , the gators can be 12-14 ft but are rare..

Going East after leaving the Ortona Lock pass River Forrest marina entrance and turn in on the SECOND entrance on left.

A long dug canal (1/2 mile) that ends at Lollypop.

Sand bottom, a watch fob anchor will do.

Ha Ha Ha
You say you are looking for a secluded anchorage where you would be alone for a week. Then you post the location on a very popular forum like this one. Somehow I think you won't be alone for long!

Devil & Hoffman cay Berry Islands Bahamas, Johs's cay Honduras, Albuquerque cays off Nicaragua (owned by Colombia), Escudo de Veragus Panama

Secluded anchorages that used to exist on the Great Lakes are now occupied by "cruisers". Thanks AGLCA and Active Captain. Love that internet.... Please close this thread...

Diver Dave,
What's lat & lon got to do w it?
I don't know that about any anchorage I've ever been in. I'd need to look it up. Is that what you're looking for?

An easier question for us would be what anchorages have we had to share with other boats :D

Murray,
Have you made it to Gillin Harbour on Dewdney Is yet?
The entrance may be choked w kelp late in the summer.
That would be a place to take your kayaks too.

Devil & Hoffman cay Berry Islands Bahamas, Johs's cay Honduras, Albuquerque cays off Nicaragua (owned by Colombia), Escudo de Veragus Panama

Fond memories of devils hoffmans. Did you jump into the inland blue hole? Did you know at the bottom there is a vent lined with seemed like soggy corn flakes !

Murray,
Have you made it to Gillin Harbour on Dewdney Is yet?
The entrance may be choked w kelp late in the summer.
That would be a place to take your kayaks too.

Nope, not yet. We've only had our boat for 4 years and have been building experience for places like the Estevan Group. So far on summer holidays we've been to Prince Rupert, Gardner Canal, Campania Island, and this summer it was Pruth Bay on Calvert Island. So next year might be the time to explore the Estevan Group :thumb:

Talking about obscure anchorages; the place out there which has us interested is the uncharted waterway between Dewdney and Barnard Islands which dries at its western end. Anchoring near its western end would allow foot access to the beach at Oswald Bay.

Something to daydream about till next summers vacation...

Last edited:
Murray Anchorage on Dewdney's western shore is also a must visit :D

Secluded anchorages that used to exist on the Great Lakes are now occupied by "cruisers". Thanks AGLCA and Active Captain. Love that internet.... Please close this thread...

If it were not for Active Captain and other cruising groups there would be a lot less business activity too at marinas and restaurants. More business = more jobs for the locals...

Now, to add to the list -

Great Sale Cay, Bahamas as well as many locations along the west coast of Florida during the summertime.

That reminds me.

Moraine Cay, which has an awesome reef on its Atlantic side.

That reminds me.

Moraine Cay, which has an awesome reef on its Atlantic side.

THat's a great one. And, the nearby Fish Cay is awesome too! I dropped the hook there one time 4 feet away from an in-season lobster. Had that anchorage to ourselves, but only stayed a couple of days.

Went to blue hole, didn't jump in though. Did have a lot of fun using a pole spear to catch dinners

I'm on the lookout for those semi-exotic anchorages where I expect to be the only one there. They may be hard to enter, in a tucked away area, or otherwise just been lucky to have no other boat in site for at least a week.

I'll start with two:

26ºN 33' 25.4"; 77ºW 51' 44"

24ºN 07' 39.9"; 74ºW 29' 37.1"

Wifey B: Not going to be just you now. Millions of TF'ers now on their way there. :rofl:

Wifey B: Not going to be just you now. Millions of TF'ers now on their way there. :rofl:

HA! the first one will hold maybe one boat, and those over 3' draft need not apply. The second was written up by Columbus, (so that's been awile now). Even so, I was surprised we had such an enormous area to ourselves for a week. The quote (this area will hold the entire fleet of Christendom) applied to that one. :)

My suggestions are well separated from the thundering herd :D

If it were not for Active Captain and other cruising groups there would be a lot less business activity too at marinas and restaurants. More business = more jobs for the locals...

Don't kid yourself. Waterfront towns on the Great Lakes are overwhelmed with land based tourists. They wouldn't miss the relative trickle of full time "cruisers" who are well known to be notoriously cheap. Among the Great Lakes boating community, it's the local boaters on their summer vacation cruise who are the big spenders. Further, all of these small town governments are actively looking for ways to attract non-tourist businesses to cut back on the hoard that invades their communities and is changing quaint little villages into small copies of Coney Island.

Wifey B: TF gives us a warped perception of the boating world as Trawler types are a very small percentage and among those even the majority have never heard of TF or AC. Most boaters don't know what Active Captain is. We've told many we've seen along the way at marinas and were wondering about marinas in other places. On the Great Lakes you have marinas packed full of boaters who have never spent a night on a boat and never go more than a 100 nm or so away. Then those who occasionally cruise further, but not too far. :)

It's like the Loop. It's talked about here. They even have their own group. But the percentage of boaters who have done it is infinitesimal. :eek:

There were tens of thousands of boats on the lake we boated on in NC who never boated anywhere else. No locks. Couldn't take your boat and jump the dams although a couple appeared to have tried. Really, how do you run into a dam? Dam, with the other spelling. It just jumped in front of me? What? I didn't see it? Were you wearing a blindfold? :eek:

OK - I'll play the game. I don't think they will be overrun with tourists.

Here's one I visited earlier this year. It even has a cave you can pull your boat into.

Get out of there if a southeasterly starts blowing.

35.1669197 South 136.492756 East

Don't kid yourself. Waterfront towns on the Great Lakes are overwhelmed with land based tourists. They wouldn't miss the relative trickle of full time "cruisers" who are well known to be notoriously cheap. Among the Great Lakes boating community, it's the local boaters on their summer vacation cruise who are the big spenders. Further, all of these small town governments are actively looking for ways to attract non-tourist businesses to cut back on the hoard that invades their communities and is changing quaint little villages into small copies of Coney Island.

And people wonder why nobody retires "up north!" :rofl:

When we go places by boat we spend money in the local economy. My AMEX bill from our last trip was right around $4500 with at least $1500 of that spent on food while eating out over 16 days.

I know that some cruisers can be notoriously cheap though too. When we were in Hopetown we saw first hand just how cheap can be. The locals hated it for sure.

And people wonder why nobody retires "up north!" :rofl:

When we go places by boat we spend money in the local economy. My AMEX bill from our last trip was right around $4500 with at least $1500 of that spent on food while eating out over 16 days.

I know that some cruisers can be notoriously cheap though too. When we were in Hopetown we saw first hand just how cheap can be. The locals hated it for sure.

Holy-Moly!

We just got back from a 16 day trip and spent under $1000.00 fuel included. (Left with full tanks, filled up again on way home, and had two restaraunt meals on trip) Not being 'cheap', just staying out of towns/marinas.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom