Anchor windlass - overhaul or replace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrifraf

Vessel Name
Raven Song
Vessel Make
NP 38
Our anchor windlass is a Vetus Alexander III. About 12 years old, it was last overhauled about 6 or 7 years ago. We use the windlass a lot. Typically out for 3 months each summer and anchor out almost every night. Last summer the windlass started to labour. Still works, but not with the pep it used to have.

My feeling is that the motor probably needs new brushes and cleaning. I don't know whether you can pull the motor off without pulling the windlass off the deck first. I would have trouble handling the thing if I had to remove it. Anyway, I talked to a local shop about having it overhauled. They said parts are no longer available and recommended getting a new windlass.

Wow. What ever happened to fixing things?

A new windlass is bound to have a different mounting bolt pattern, so there will be extra work and expense over the cost of the windlass.

Windlasses are not rocket science. Presumably an experienced mechanical/electrical shop could deal with even an old one. But of course there's a cost with that too, so hard to choose the best route.

Would appreciate your thoughts. And if you know of an outfit that might be able to deal with an old windlass in the Vancouver area, pass them along.

Find a good starter and alternator rebuild shop. Carry the motor in to them and see what they can do for you. Generally, if the gears are good, the rest is pretty simple, plus an electric motor.

Ted

Also check every connection for corrosion. Make sure they are all clean and tight. Low voltage can cause a windlassto labor.

Yeah.

Typically they are series wound DC motors same as winch and starters. Lotta low end torque. And brushes and commutator wear and corrosion.

Turn the commutator, replace the brushes, inspect the bearings.

Find a good starter and alternator rebuild shop. Carry the motor in to them and see what they can do for you. Generally, if the gears are good, the rest is pretty simple, plus an electric motor.

Ted

+1

I have an 17 year old Vetus Alexander windlass. Electrically it still performs as expected. Our use is similar to yours.

However, thanks to the previous owner who spliced three different sizes of 5/16 chain into a 400' rode, the chainwheel is worn to the point where a new 5/16" G4 chain jumps and skips upon retrieval. I removed the chainwheel for inspection and found a crack propagating radially in the bronze. So far I've been unable to locate a replacement, and am contemplating a new windlass. You might want to check your chainwheel before investing in an electrical rebuild.

If you proceed with a new windlass, I might be interested in purchasing your old chainwheel.

I just wanted to wrap up this thread. In the end I took the windlass apart myself. First, of course, I watched all the youtube videos that I could find on overhauling a windlass.

I managed to remove the motor without having to pull the windlass off the deck. Took the motor in to an auto-electric place and had it overhauled. They said it was in pretty good shape - just needed new brushes. I pulled the chainwheel off, inspected everything and cleaned the clutch. It is all back together now and should be good for several more seasons.

Crossroads: Good luck in finding a new chainwheel. You might find a used one floating around at Shelter Island or somewhere. Also, someone once mentioned that these windlasses were actually made by Lofrans, so maybe a Lofrans chainwheel might fit.

Back
Top Bottom