Old 05-31-2019, 07:56 AM   #61
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Derelict boats and trashed live aboards are a big problem in a lot of areas. I don't blame states and municipalities for trying to deal with it."

So you would prefer them camping under bridges , or tenting down town ?

What you call a derelict , some will call Home Sweet Home.

I think I understand the point you are trying to make. To be honest, to answer your rhetorical question... Yes. I would prefer they were camping under bridges or tenting somewhere. Boats that are being used as essentially a place to squat are a significant environmental hazard and can be a hazard to navigation. My concern about derelict vessels isn’t about being an eyesore in front of expensive homes, or spoiling my view (which I don’t have).

However, I have extremely limited knowledge of waters in the East Coast and know nothing about GA. My experience is just with the Salish Sea the problems that have been created, and are being dealt with, here.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:57 AM   #62
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Not is GA at the moment, but this law could create the issue.

If you read the preamble in the original link it is currentky illegal for liveaboards to anchor in GA. They must be in eligible marinas. So no sunken liveaboard boats.

The intent if this law is lo allow anchored liveaboards - which will now cause the issue.

Thanks for the clarification.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:05 AM   #63
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
How many nights per year on average in the past three years has people on the forum actually anchored in GA? While it’s probably a move to be able to manage derelicts(IE take them over more easily) and squatters- is it really that cumbersome for many?
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:25 AM   #64
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I anchor there when visiting St Simon's, when going north (both ways to Chesapeake last year), and visiting Hilton Head and Savannah. We are planning a Charleston trip in the fall. Anchoring off Cumberland Island and visiting is also a favorite.

For NE Florida boaters this is going to be a pain. Not a huge pain, but a PITA nevertheless.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:35 AM   #65
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Bottom line, it conflicts with both freedom of navigation and EPA laws as I see it...at least until more details emerge.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #66
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
How many nights per year on average in the past three years has people on the forum actually anchored in GA? While it’s probably a move to be able to manage derelicts(IE take them over more easily) and squatters- is it really that cumbersome for many?

Two days going south and two days going north each year.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:09 AM   #67
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
I'm generally 3 days on the hook twice a year going North and South. If I stop to visit Cumberland Island, go kayaking, or because of bad weather, add a couple or more.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:10 AM   #68
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
I have to say that I am a bit dismayed by the number of posters who seem to think we really shouldn't care what the law says, because it is probably not going to be enforced very rigorously anyway. I am quite sure that if it ever gets enforced against THEM, they are suddenly going to care quite a lot about it! Saying that a bad law is okay just because it is probably not going to be enforced, strikes me as extraordinarily short-sighted.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #69
Guru

If it reasonably complys with Federal laws, I can live with GAs law if it helps with overall keeping the waterways nice.

The only caution of mine is just how restrictive the "anchorages" are.

For people who want to live on the hook in GA...they have a long road ahead with this legal mentality.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #70
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I have to say that I am a bit dismayed by the number of posters who seem to think we really shouldn't care what the law says, because it is probably not going to be enforced very rigorously anyway. I am quite sure that if it ever gets enforced against THEM, they are suddenly going to care quite a lot about it! Saying that a bad law is okay just because it is probably not going to be enforced, strikes me as extraordinarily short-sighted.
Maybe you're not being objective.
As a Florida resident, there's very little I can do other than send in a well composed letter during the comment period. Until the law is finalized and enforced or not, we really don't know the impact. Compliance with the pump out logging and buying permits is a PIA, but manageable. If they choose to dramatically limit where we can anchor, it's a simple matter to go out at Port Royal Sound, Calibogue Sound, or The Savanna River and come back in at St Marys River. I plan to make that point in my letter, while stressing the loss of revenue from dockage, restaurants, and fuel to the small businesses of Georgia. Not much else I can realistically do.

Ted
Old 05-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #71
Guru

Maybe that part of the plan , getting more people to go to marinas.

GA could certainly use more
Old 06-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #72

City: Rossport
Vessel Name: Iron Lady
Vessel Model: Vinette Trawler
Anchoring restrictions

As I read the present statute, The state does not allow live aboards at present. Sounds like the are moving to a more robust enforcement of existing rules. A small permit fee and anchoring geographic restrictions sounds reasonable to prevent degradation of this important habitat. My thoughts on this anyway.
Doc Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #73
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Thanks for the link.
There is an exception for boats actively fishing, so I guess I'll have my line in the water till bedtime.

Ted
LOLROF! I guess there will be a lot of cheap fishing tackle bought over the next year. Reckon I’ll get out the ole Popiel Pocket Fisherman.

Regardless, I am mostly concerned about the legality of something impinging on freedom of the waters. My Lawyer Admiral would remind me that States have, from time to time, enforced unconstitutional laws as well as ignored constitutional rights until federal courts have changed their minds.

Still, I can’t see having issue with complying.
Attached Thumbnails
37909085-278B-498E-AA5F-DD0AE711D5E8.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday View Post
As I read the present statute, The state does not allow live aboards at present. Sounds like the are moving to a more robust enforcement of existing rules. A small permit fee and anchoring geographic restrictions sounds reasonable to prevent degradation of this important habitat. My thoughts on this anyway.

Georgia Liveaboards - Find the best marina to dock your boat

January 1, 2012 is the day!

As of January 1, 2012, if you wish to stay aboard your boat in a marina with sewage pump out facilities for longer than 30 days, you may apply for an extension beyond the 30 days. The notice doesn’t seem to have any limit on the length of time you can stay aboard, just the regulations relating to the boat and also to the marina – you have to have a mechanism to secure your holding tank, the marina has to have adequate pump-out facilities, etc. It’s all spelled out in the PDF detailing the proposed change at the Georgia DNR website above.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #75
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Lots of discussion about derelict or junk liveaboards. We have only been through GA four times and have not ventured off the ICW other than Savannah and Brunswick. Can't say that we have seen derelict boats or even livaboards in GA like there are in Florida. Are there areas that have long term anchored boats.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #76

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
Responding to a much earlier message, the lined-out language about live-aboards is Georgias way of removing that language from one section of their Code, which only enabled civil law enforcement, to allow it to be put into another section of law, which permits enforcement under criminal law standards and procedures. IE, tickets with short compliance deadlines.
This mess reads like an enabling act, which will allow the acency/ies enforcing it to decide what all of the many ambiguous terms will mean.
And that means also that we will need to wonder (and possibly sue to discover) what they mean by what they say, and how well, if at all, this will interact with Federal law.
Safe journeys, JohnS
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #77
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Georgia actually reallocated the funds to support The Georgia Archives, a central repository for historical documents. My uncle found in the Georgia Charter that they had mandated that they would be required to operate an Archives and prohibited them from closing the Archives and firing the staff. Georgia has done some stupid stuff, but they seem to have lost their way. As a Georgia native, I'm glad to be from Georgia but glad I don't live there now.

We used to say that the reason why Georgia didn't slide off into the Atlantic was because Alabama sucked. Now I think politics in Georgia has joined the ranks of Idiots.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #78
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Georgia actually reallocated the funds to support The Georgia Archives, a central repository for historical documents. My uncle found in the Georgia Charter that they had mandated that they would be required to operate an Archives and prohibited them from closing the Archives and firing the staff. Georgia has done some stupid stuff, but they seem to have lost their way. As a Georgia native, I'm glad to be from Georgia but glad I don't live there now.

We used to say that the reason why Georgia didn't slide off into the Atlantic was because Alabama sucked. Now I think politics in Georgia has joined the ranks of Idiots.
Stub and not too many years ago, the State obligated funds to provide a new state of the art storage facility to replace the current facility. LOL

I worked in GA for over 20 years and they seem to be stuck with the idea, "This how my granddaddy and daddy did it so that's how I'm gonna do it."
I maintain that GA politics is crooked but unlike other states, GA is open and above board with their crookedness. LOL
Okay, please return me to the original intent of this thread.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #79
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I live in a waterfront home here in NWFL and found myself participating with some neighbors in ridding ourselves of a collection of six derelict, semi-derelict, and one sort of operating old wooden shrimp all of which collected at the end of a public dirt road in our neighborhood. The boats' ownership was impossible to trace except in the case of one which found the owner in jail on unrelated charges. There was little doubt about the illegal drug-related activity of the on and off residents. There was a rickety plank walk constructed out to the fist semi-sunken vessel after which it was hop along to get to the outboard vessels. The sheriff county finally told them they had to be moored fifty feet off the end of the road (not sure what law they used), tore down their walkway and the sheriff put up a chain link fence across the end of the road. For some months later there was small boat traffic to this junkyard from the nearest boat ramp, and after that died out and the boats all removed by chainsaw, the fence was removed, and now we see locals there with kids and mullet nets enjoying the waterfront.

There were a number of other derelict vessels around the county for many years, but tracking down legal owners and securing state money to clear them slowed removal way down. However, Hurricane Michael came here last October and ripped our county apart at the seams, and the cleanup has involved a large USCG contracted service to remove all sorts of sunken vessels from marinas and other places. There were two disposal sites set up on land where barges carrying wrecked vessels lifted out of the waters by barge-mounted cranes were deposited on land. From my wanderings, it appears that this opportunity was taken to rid us of ALL derelicts including those pre-existing the hurricane.

I wouldn't wish a category five hurricane like Michael on anybody, but it surely was one good way to clear away the waterborne debris of years. Hopefully, the marine patrol and local governments will stay ahead of the issue in the future.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #80
Guru

So it's 01/01/2020 and Georgia's new anchoring law and potty log are supposed to be going into effect today. Saw an update in the beginning of August, but nothing since. Anyone heard any further updates?

Ted