Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2019, 01:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
ORIF's Avatar
 
City: Beaufort, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: TAMI II
Vessel Model: Tollycraft, 44 CPMY
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 46
Anchor Retrieval

The recent stuck anchor thread made me recall this.

After hurricane Mathew I had some trouble retrieving my Rocna anchor from its hold on the bottom. It was dug in by the storm. Had the bow up to the line so it was vertical and eventually worked it out. Thereís a longer story to that for another day but point is, I was relating this to a shrimp boat captain friend of mine who said his routine technique for freeing his Danforth was to back away from it after he had the rode vertical. Not drive over it as I and others in the current anchor retrieval thread would intuitively think and recomended. He equated it to a bad anchor set attempt with not enough rode out. Said it worked every time. Heís now retired and did that for his entire career.
Iím curious if anyone else subscribes to the same technique?
__________________
Advertisement

ORIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
Guru
 
syjos's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIF View Post
The recent stuck anchor thread made me recall this.

After hurricane Mathew I had some trouble retrieving my Rocna anchor from its hold on the bottom. It was dug in by the storm. Had the bow up to the line so it was vertical and eventually worked it out. Thereís a longer story to that for another day but point is, I was relating this to a shrimp boat captain friend of mine who said his routine technique for freeing his Danforth was to back away from it after he had the rode vertical. Not drive over it as I and others in the current anchor retrieval thread would intuitively think and recomended. He equated it to a bad anchor set attempt with not enough rode out. Said it worked every time. Heís now retired and did that for his entire career.
Iím curious if anyone else subscribes to the same technique?
If it's really stuck, we pull the chain until vertical and go forward and reverse until unstuck.

There is no difference in the result whether the shrimp boat captain went forward or back if the rode is vertical.
__________________

syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,692
We set our Bruce once and came to an abrupt stop. I thought it was going to be stuck for sure, so got out the Earl Hinz book on anchoring and mooring.

One method he suggested was reducing scope (can't remember how much) then slowly circling the anchor while keeping the rode under tension.

Turns out the anchor came up easily so didn't need to use the technique, but may come in handy one day.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,420
I go in reverse too break my Danforth free. At an idle.
Had to do that this morning at Three Mile Harbor, which is the best holding ground I've experienced in my 30 years of boating.

Anchor came up with about 15 lbs of mud on it.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands
Country: canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 79
reverse in what direction? 180 to the direction of the set I imagine.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:23 PM   #6
Guru
 
syjos's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
reverse in what direction? 180 to the direction of the set I imagine.
In the PNW, because of the multiple tide changes creating reversing current, there is no way to know which way the anchor is buried.

Even a Danforth will eventually turn or flip with the current reversals.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands
Country: canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
In the PNW, because of the multiple tide changes creating reversing current, there is no way to know which way the anchor is buried.

Even a Danforth will eventually turn or flip with the current reversals.
I understand that. Saying reverse is rather vague. I was looking for the theory of doing so. I mean reversing could also further dig the anchor deeper. Coming to a vertical on rode and reversing opposite of the believed anchor set makes sense, pulling up on shank, avoiding rode into props. Reversing without knowing which way does not make any sense. Or are you reversing in a circle around a vertical rode until it pops.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:17 AM   #8
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,007
I believe that what the OP was saying was to go in reverse away from the anchor not 180 to the original set. With a 1:1 scope the anchor should break out as most any anchor will when set with a very short scope.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #9
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
reverse in what direction? 180 to the direction of the set I imagine.
I pull in the chain until it is vertical, then idle in reverse pulling it out in the same direction in which it was set. Bow stays into the wind.
__________________

__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012