Anchor recess vs. pulpit/roller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Closeup of Greenline 33 anchor hause.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 65
It all about strength in the big boats. It is really hard to build something that can take storm force conditions and be extended out. The force get scary when you are lifting a anchor and have large waves. The more important part is you are not swing that anchor 10 ft off the water when it break surface. It could be like a wrecking ball in rough conditions. I know most of the boats don't every experience this but you should build for it.

Good point funangler,
And that would favor the hawspipe setup as the anchor wouldn't be suspended from as high as it would w a pulpit.

I think the difference is mostly cost. And most hawspipe installations don't have a "recess" and the anchor is entirely on the outside of the hull. Obviously the far less expensive way to go. The other thing that enters into this question is the anchor's ability to mount flush against the hull side. Obviously Navy, Forfjord and Danforth types rule the roost here. Some anchors more recently introduced don't even sit on a level surface gracefully. And many of those like roll bar anchors aren't even compatable w bow pulpits that are designed to carry anchors. So the very undesirable situation has come to pass that anchors are being designed to fit bow pulpits. Personally I think the boat design should come first and anchors should follow. The curved davit shaped anchor crane on the bow that was common in the 40's wasn't such a bad idea but the scenairo that funangler talkers about in rough seas would be even worse w the anchor dangling from a point above the foredeck.

So it seems evolution hasn't worked well re anchor mounting. If you could change your boat w a reasonable amount of money what would you do and why?

I wonder what that strange anchor is on the bow of the Greenline? Possibly an anchor designed for the mount? I'm guessing it's an anchor meant to look like some of the anchors found on megayachts. Perhaps the boat designer designed an anchor to look modern (modern sells) and nest in the recession he designed into the boat. Kind of a modern looking and better performing anchor in the shadow of the Navy types. Better performing is probably more applicable to anchors designed by those that usually design anchors. Surprisingly Manson still calls them a Kedge anchor.

Mr Duck,
Re the Symbol pic and so many others like it I wonder why an idler drum isn't installed to align the chain/rode up w the second anchor. Most of these setups look like they don't think the secondary anchor will be used. I don't have a setup anything like this so probably just don't understand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom