Old 09-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #21

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Here's the anchor mounting setup on some Rangers.
...................... What on earth is that contraption just above the anchor? Seems stupid to get rid of the bow pulpit and then tack on something similar.
Looks to me that the contraption is some sort of folding ladder similar to what is shown in the photo below:

Old 09-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
The PO's of our boat added an extra 40 gallon fuel tank in the lazarette and a swim grid, at the end of which we have our dinghy stowed and keep our 'get home kicker' on a swiveling bracket...we need a storm anchor and a bunch of chain at the bow to balance things out
Not necessarily. Think of a seesaw. Having equal amounts of weight at each end of your boat may not be a good thing.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Diesel Duck,
Amazing. They market the boat as a trawler and then put equipment on the bow for jumping off onto a beach. That's what it looked like to me but was afraid to say so thinking it such a wild guess.

Well I sure like the anchor setup and would modify Willy thus if I had little to do.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #24
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Not necessarily. Think of a seesaw. Having equal amounts of weight at each end of your boat may not be a good thing.
Good point.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sydney
Apart from looking sexy most boats I have seen with anchor recess have 2 anchors recesses and 2 anchors not 1 could it be that simple
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Apart from looking sexy most boats I have seen with anchor recess have 2 anchors recesses and 2 anchors not 1 could it be that simple
Me thinks it's not that simple. Here's a photo of a Beneteau Swift trawler with a dual anchor roller/pulpit, however, I do agree with your "sexy" assessment:

Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 PM   #27
Guru

Mr Duck,
Is it really a dual anchor setup on that Beneteau? The second rode only has a capstan to retrieve it. If the second rode is almost all line and just a few feet of chain many on this forum would'nt consider it a litagitamate anchor rode. Two all chain rode's working through hawseholes mounting heavy traditional anchors would be accepted as litagitamate rodes my perhaps everybody.

No comparison? Or ...........

Old 09-04-2015, 11:04 PM   #28

Oaky, the Beneteau photo wasn't the best example. How's this one on a 59' Symbol...

Old 09-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #29
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
When I first saw the Greenline 33 Hybrid at the Dusseldorf Show in 2008, I was surprised to se it had its own anchor hause to port. I think the offer the single hauses up to 48 and twins on the big boats up to 70.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	44142  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:14 AM   #30
Guru

Larry look at that nice clean bow.
I'm sure it isn't but it looks like two anchors one above the other.
So it occurs to me that a hawsepipe anchor system could be a very lightweight system using a Fortress anchor of course. There are perhaps a dozen Fortresses on the two floats where mine is. Seems fairly popular here as a primary anchor.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:26 AM   #31
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Closeup of Greenline 33 anchor hause.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	44144  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #32

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
It all about strength in the big boats. It is really hard to build something that can take storm force conditions and be extended out. The force get scary when you are lifting a anchor and have large waves. The more important part is you are not swing that anchor 10 ft off the water when it break surface. It could be like a wrecking ball in rough conditions. I know most of the boats don't every experience this but you should build for it.
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #33
Guru

Good point funangler,
And that would favor the hawspipe setup as the anchor wouldn't be suspended from as high as it would w a pulpit.

I think the difference is mostly cost. And most hawspipe installations don't have a "recess" and the anchor is entirely on the outside of the hull. Obviously the far less expensive way to go. The other thing that enters into this question is the anchor's ability to mount flush against the hull side. Obviously Navy, Forfjord and Danforth types rule the roost here. Some anchors more recently introduced don't even sit on a level surface gracefully. And many of those like roll bar anchors aren't even compatable w bow pulpits that are designed to carry anchors. So the very undesirable situation has come to pass that anchors are being designed to fit bow pulpits. Personally I think the boat design should come first and anchors should follow. The curved davit shaped anchor crane on the bow that was common in the 40's wasn't such a bad idea but the scenairo that funangler talkers about in rough seas would be even worse w the anchor dangling from a point above the foredeck.

So it seems evolution hasn't worked well re anchor mounting. If you could change your boat w a reasonable amount of money what would you do and why?

I wonder what that strange anchor is on the bow of the Greenline? Possibly an anchor designed for the mount? I'm guessing it's an anchor meant to look like some of the anchors found on megayachts. Perhaps the boat designer designed an anchor to look modern (modern sells) and nest in the recession he designed into the boat. Kind of a modern looking and better performing anchor in the shadow of the Navy types. Better performing is probably more applicable to anchors designed by those that usually design anchors. Surprisingly Manson still calls them a Kedge anchor.

Mr Duck,
Re the Symbol pic and so many others like it I wonder why an idler drum isn't installed to align the chain/rode up w the second anchor. Most of these setups look like they don't think the secondary anchor will be used. I don't have a setup anything like this so probably just don't understand.