Anchor Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
Spent last night on the hook at Atlantic Highlands, NJ. It was a windy, bouncy night but all went well. That is, until we hauled up our Manson Supreme and discovered that during the night it was converted to a "Rock-Nah." Took fifteen minutes to boat hook that heavy SOB out of the hoop!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 106
At least it came up...my windlass yesterday started actiing like the gears are stripped.

Would have holding the roll bar or tying it off and letting out the chain dumped it?

I have been contemplating the same scenario with rocks or other obstructions.

Last edited:
Would have holding the roll bar or tying it off and letting out the chain dumped it?

I have been contemplating the same scenario with rock or other obstructions.

It's interesting that you say that. As I wrote the post and had a good look at the picture I immediately thought exactly that. Somehow, it never entered my mind to do that at the time. The answer to your question is probably yes. It's one of those "why didn't I think of that" instances.

I have been contemplating the same scenario with rock or other obstructions.

My experience is exactly that. Tie off (done from a dinghy in my case) the rock and lower the anchor.

"At least it came up...my windlass yesterday started actiing like the gears are stripped."

A couple of years ago my windlass did that. Had it rebuilt by Imtra in a few hours while I went to lunch. It was lunch plus a boat $.

"At least it came up...my windlass yesterday started actiing like the gears are stripped."

A couple of years ago my windlass did that. Had it rebuilt by Imtra in a few hours while I went to lunch. It was lunch plus a boat $.
Like most things mechanical.....I threatened it and whacked it in the correct place and fortunately it raised the anchor...possibly for the last time on this year's snowbird cruise.....like last year the genset dying on the last morning of the trip.

Fortunately that was only a broken sensor wire.....hope this is just a gear slipped too far because of a broken retainer rather than list teeth.

Spent last night on the hook at Atlantic Highlands, NJ. It was a windy, bouncy night but all went well. That is, until we hauled up our Manson Supreme and discovered that during the night it was converted to a "Rock-Nah." Took fifteen minutes to boat hook that heavy SOB out of the hoop!

You made out better than this guy just up the bay at Great Kills. Never did trust their mooring balls :)

Attachments

• 27.gif
    27.gif
    52.9 KB · Views: 246
We literally replaced the shear pin in our windlass today. But pulling 80 ft of chain and the 60lb anchor from black sticky mud the other day sure was fun! Right there with you

Hey can I have my pet rock back if you're done playing with it?

It took me a lot longer to get my anchor up, in murky water, with a great weight on it. Once it broke the surface, it was clear why. There was a trailer, well hooked. The kind you would transport a car on. In the dinghy, I roped off the trailer, then lowered and maneuvered the anchor out. Then I backed out of the anchorage, to deep water for trailer release. Good windlass!

Like most things mechanical.....I threatened it and whacked it in the correct place and fortunately it raised the anchor...possibly for the last time on this year's snowbird cruise.....like last year the genset dying on the last morning of the trip.

Fortunately that was only a broken sensor wire.....hope this is just a gear slipped too far because of a broken retainer rather than list teeth.

Might be the shear pin. Mine went a couple of years ago. Unfortunately everything had to be taken apart, the shaft & gear was the very last thing to remove.

I had a pretty big petrified log get wedged under the flukes of a Danforth once. It took about 1/2 hour to free it.

I hope it is something that simple...but intermittent service sounds more like gear issues rather than instantaneous failure like a shear pin would be....

Unless the shear pin is so overengineered that a failure can result in totally mysterious symptoms.....we sure have seen those in boating. :D

I hope it is something that simple...but intermittent service sounds more like gear issues rather than instantaneous failure like a shear pin would be....

Unless the shear pin is so overengineered that a failure can result in totally mysterious symptoms.....we sure have seen those in boating. :D

Mine would have worked a little longer if I didn't have all chain to lift. The pin didn't shear completely it left a ragged edge that sort of jammed in the gear bore and would turn but slip when the load got heavy.

So it was more of a "sorta break" pin rather than a shear pin.... :D

Well, my summer to do list keeps getting longer and more expensive.

Thought this was the year to finish up cosmetic stuff and a lighter financial load. So the winless may break both dreams...try and fix...then a replace won't be cheap if a fix doesn't work. :banghead:

No rocks yet, but this crab pot took some effort.

20160412_071801.jpg

Ted

Only saw a few crab pots from NC to Fl. It's the thousands of pot markers I was trying to avoid. The one on my anchor had been buried in the mud until I pulled it up.

Ted

Only saw a few crab pots from NC to Fl. It's the thousands of pot markers I was trying to avoid. The one on my anchor had been buried in the mud until I pulled it up.

Ted

I read a great article on ghost pots last fall....something like 300,000 ghost pots in the Chesapeake alone.

Viginia I think has a program paying Crabbe to find ghost pots and they are bringing in tens of thousands I think...pretty cool. The state thinks the revenue offset on saving livingresources trapped in the ghost pots more than offsets the bounty on them.

If you saved that stinky, rusty pot....you might get a few dollars for it someplace! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom