Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #41
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Eric says: Jay, ever had any kinking, tangles or other problems? No kinking, no need for a swivel. How bout corrosion or rusting? I watch the compression fittings carefully to see if there is any corrosion from dissimilar metals. Seem to renew the eyes every 5-7 years preventative maintenance. A little rust appears after the galvanizing is knocked off the chain. If you had to pull by hand it could be challenging. Have a good grip? Have a good pair of high grip gloves in reserve that can get ahold of the 1/4" cable.

Who said they needed to wax their anchor? Bears repeating that I was told by an anchor salesman at the recent Seattle Boat Show that if you keep their polished stainless steel anchor waxed, that you don't need a wash down system! Just about lost it!
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
In Al's first post, I pictured a Powerwinch like this which I was told could handle line, but not chain. This is what my boat came with when I bought it.

After a couple years of hauling chain by hand, I changed to this Lewmar ProSeries 1000

and, like HopCar said, just push the button and watch line and chain deploy and retrieve effortlessly. Last weekend I was out fishing and we set anchor 7 times and never gave it a second thought. Love my Lewmar!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #43
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Flywright, you are just showing off! Bet it`s not as clean as that after 7 retrieves.
Jay N, are you saying there are people who don`t wax their anchor? Surely not on TF.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #44
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Flywright, you are just showing off! Bet it`s not as clean as that after 7 retrieves.
You're so right, Bruce. I took this photo after the last hookset to remind me that the aft roller had split. But it didn't take long before she was all cleaned up after returning to the slip.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:50 AM   #45
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
FlyWright- Question: Are those two photos of the same boat? I ask as the first appears to be of some dingy hulk where as the second is spotless. The Lewmar is still on the table. Just have to deal with the mental challenge of reorganization of the deck area. Question # 2- What size and is it common, chain is recommended on a Lewmar? Based on our 27 foot 11,000# boat? I assume there is a table, just asking on the bet you have that knowledge,
Thanks, Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 AM   #46
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I also replaced my old Simpson-Lawrence with a Lewmar 1000, particularly because they were identical in size, shape and mounting. The only difference I could find was the SS wrapping. Anyway, it works great with all 5/16 chain and a 35 lb. Bruce or Delta, but I think I'll be adding a 44 Rocna this Spring, and it might be asking too much for the unit. I sure like that drum style winch and I was looking at them at last year's Miami show.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:50 AM   #47
FF
Guru

44 Rocna this Spring, and it might be asking too much for the unit

The windlass will hardly notice an extra 9 lbs.

Break out the anchor with the motion of the boat , all the windlass lifts is the anchor gear and the muck stuck to it.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #48
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
FlyWright- Question: Are those two photos of the same boat? I ask as the first appears to be of some dingy hulk where as the second is spotless. The Lewmar is still on the table. Just have to deal with the mental challenge of reorganization of the deck area. Question # 2- What size and is it common, chain is recommended on a Lewmar? Based on our 27 foot 11,000# boat? I assume there is a table, just asking on the bet you have that knowledge,
Thanks, Al
1. The first photo was taken on my garage floor. That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my garage.

2. My model is the Lewmar ProSeries 1000. It uses 5/16 chain and I wanted 8 plait Brait. The good folks at Defender advised my to upsize my Brait line to 9/16 to avoid slippage. Here's what I ordered with the windlass. I later added another 90 ft of chain for a total chain length of 120 ft. I've never had a problem with slippage or the chain-to-line transition. The couple of times it acted up was when the clutch loosened and I didn't notice. It's a simple 5-second adjustment with the Lewmar wrench.

As you can see in the photos below, I went with the self-launching bow roller. I am very satisfied with it and have no regrets (except for the split aft roller).

Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to share challenges and solutions with you. Each boat is different and I had help from some pretty crafty airplane mechanics, but maybe my solutions can help you work through some of your challenges.

I have the 15 kg Lewmar Bruce look-alike claw anchor. It holds fine, but I wish I went with the 20 kg model. Although it was sized according to Lewmar's recommendations, it just looks undersized. I ordered the anchor a year before the windlass installation. The windlass will easily handle the 20 kg Bruce and I'd sleep even better on the hook.

I was on the boat today and took shots of my repaired anchor roller, so I thought I'd throw them in here. I used 2-inch wide industrial strength Rescue Tape to rejoin the 2 split roller halves while awaiting the replacement roller.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #49
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
The deck mounted drums may be great for fishermen who pack a hold of fish, but all that chain weight lower down in a chain locker is a good concept for pleasure boaters.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #50
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
FlyWright, That is a pretty installation.
You mention that you added an additional 90 feet of chain. How did you join the chain?
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #51
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
FlyWright, That is a pretty installation.
You mention that you added an additional 90 feet of chain. How did you join the chain?
Thanks, HC! I used one of these and I carry a spare.

I just checked out the link last weekend and it still looks great. It's been on there for about 3-4 years. The windlass never even notices the link.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #52
Guru

FlyWright, A year ago I would have chastised you for putting a weak link in your chain and I would have told you it wouldn't go through your winch.

Now I'm thinking of doing it my self. You're the second experienced cruiser I know who has used that link with G4 chain without problems. Chuck on Trawler Beach House bought some chain from me about a year ago and did the same thing.

It is in fact a weak link in your chain and it isn't the same size as the rest of your chain, but I can't argue with success. I suspect you never come close to putting a breaking load on that link and it goes through your winch. I'd say your good.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #53
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. H. Somewhere in the dim recesses of my brain I recall a report/statement where a link similar to what Mr. FW was not necessarily a weak link. I think this method of joining has been discussed on TF before.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 AM   #54
TF Site Team

HC, You wouldn't be the first to chastise me and, to be honest, I was a little skeptical at first, too. But I was careful with the installation and monitor it periodically.

I have my rode marked in 30 ft increments. My chain is marked with long wire ties at 30' (1 tie), 60' (2 ties) and this link at 90' (3 ties). Occasionally the tie warp tails break off and need to be replaced, like one did this past weekend. Since half the ties are on this one link, it gets regular (quarterly?) attention for tie wrap replacement which gives me a regular look at the link.

I'm not convinced it's not the weakest link. My chain has a working load limit of 3900 lbs. My connecting link WLL is 1950 lbs. The 9/16 8 plait line has a tensile strength of 7700 lbs. Of course, if the connecting link corrodes or degrades, its strength lessens. For me it works, but your mileage may vary.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:09 AM   #55
TF Site Team

Here are links to some of our earlier discussions:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ink-10371.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...chain-297.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...hain-2127.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...link-4570.html

Old 02-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #56
Guru

Al, It seems we've already had this discussion. I think your use of that link just proves we tend to go much stronger than we really need to on chain and rope. I wouldn't have a problem with using 5/16 BBB or Proof Coil chain on your size boat and the link is about as strong as those.
I see I'm also starting to repeat my stories. I'm getting old.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #57
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. HC. See post #53.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #58
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Just because Al has had this kinky link on his rode for awhile dosn't mean it's been tested. Most all the time we put extremely light loads on our ground tackle. Even if Al had anchored in a 50 knot gale last week it dosn't tell much as it could be that the load as a percentage of it's maximum was still low.

However w a reel winch Al would have a shackle as strong as his chain.

Tom wrote in post # 49;
"The deck mounted drums may be great for fishermen who pack a hold of fish, but all that chain weight lower down in a chain locker is a good concept for pleasure boaters."
Fishermen only have their holds full of fish for short periods of time.
People that are concerned about rode weight don't have all chain. And everybody should be concerned about rode weight.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #59
Guru

RTF, That post 53 got me to looking at the links Al posted and made me realize I'm repeating myself, repeating myself.

I found the picture I took of your avatar back in 1969. I'll see if I can scan it and send it to you.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #60
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Al, It seems we've already had this discussion.
I see I'm also starting to repeat my stories. I'm getting old.
Lighten up, Parks. Just the other day, I forgot who Eric was. It wasn't until I saw his number of posts that I said "Oh Yeah".

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote