Anchor Bridles & Snubbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do U use

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Now you’ve done it! You mentioned the Iowa—my favorite warship of all time—and forced me into thread drift.

I am actually in that photo shot by one of the three Army Hueys we were carrying off the west coast of Nicaragua in 1985 while I was the Weapons Department Head. President Duarte of El Salvador was standing nearby. So to head off complaints about thread drift into non-boating/trawler stuff, I am always available at richgano@gmail.com for any additional info.

You guys should take a serious look at the dyneema soft shackle option. I used to use a hook, but it fell off a couple times, due to no current or wind. The hook is happier when it has tension. The dyneema is as strong as the hook, but can’t fall off. You can purchase ready made dyneema soft shackles or make your own.

Absolutely correct. Why one would want to use hooks or plates that are frequently the weak link, fall off and can ding the hull rather than a soft shackle is not something I understand.

Absolutely correct. Why one would want to use hooks or plates that are frequently the weak link, fall off and can ding the hull rather than a soft shackle is not something I understand.
Because the Mantus hook will not fall off and is quite easy to deploy?

The only risk I see to a traditional chain hook falling off is in deployment. One only needs to make sure the hook can't reach the bottom and that there is sufficient slack in the chain between the bow roller and the hook. In a hundred or so anchorings, it hasn't come off, so I guess I've mastered the technique.

I'm sure soft shackles are wonderful also, provided you remember to change them out before they fail.

Ted

Ted, my experience with chain hooks falling off comes from when I wanted a long enough snubber/bridle for shock but swung into shallow water (unknown sandbars or shallows) and with the rig on the bottom the hook came off.

As long as there was enough tension on the chain fine, but with a tide swing or light winds is where I had troubles.

I use a chain plate for my double bridle with an extra shackle that stops it from ever slipping off in slack water.

Attachments

• Catamaran_Mooring_Bridle.jpg
    Catamaran_Mooring_Bridle.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 238
All that hardware and the trouble of a shackle and a little pin to drop..... I get it...maybe....sorta...

But...a modified rolling hitch takes 5 seconds to tie and down the shoot she goes.

I use a chain plate for my double bridle with an extra shackle that stops it from ever slipping off in slack water.

I don't get all these posts about chain hooks and plates falling off.

I've been using a Seadog slotted chain plate for over 25 years and I have never had one slip off. Ever.

I don't use extra shackles, tie wraps, super glue or anything else to secure the plate.

It takes me a minute or two to attach and adjust the lines. After a couple days or after the ropes stretch after a wind, I let out additional chain to maintain the lazy loop in the chain between the roller and plate/hook. The lazy loop keeps the plate from falling off.

We watch other boaters anchor for entertainment while we are at anchor. The ones that use riding chain stoppers (snubbers) never let enough chain out to create a lazy loop. Additionally, the lines on the snubbers are usually too short and or too thick. And if a snubber is used, it's not adjusted as it stretches.

For a 40' trawler, 1/2" three strand is the right size for adequate stretching. Anything thicker or braided does not provide any spring to be effective.

Last edited:
After 2 careers saving boats from disaster, owners often claim that they don't understand what went wrong...."it never happened before" when they were debriefed. :)

Scott like the woman who was mugged and her purse was stolen always says, the perp just appeared out of nowhere. No lady he had been following you for ten minutes.

Here is the latest iteration of how I attach a two leg bridal to my anchor. I tried this last weekend and it worked well.

My bridle consists of two legs of 1/2" 3-strand which have a nylon thimble spliced into one end. I created a shackle with the eye of the shackle on one end and a loop on the other. The loop is wrapped around the thimbles with a larks head. The other end is attached to a loop created with a modified button knot wrapped twice around the chain.

I found it to be very secure and it is very strong. The entire system will be strong than the line it is made of and it is made of 1/4" dyneema.

IMG_20190824_172618.jpegIMG_20190824_172858.jpg

I don't get all these posts about chain hooks and plates falling off.

I've been using a Seadog slotted chain plate for over 25 years and I have never had one slip off. Ever.

I don't use extra shackles, tie wraps, super glue or anything else to secure the plate.

It takes me a minute or two to attach and adjust the lines. After a couple days or after the ropes stretch after a wind, I let out additional chain to maintain the lazy loop in the chain between the roller and plate/hook. The lazy loop keeps the plate from falling off.

We watch other boaters anchor for entertainment while we are at anchor. The ones that use riding chain stoppers (snubbers) never let enough chain out to create a lazy loop. Additionally, the lines on the snubbers are usually too short and or too thick. And if a snubber is used, it's not adjusted as it stretches.

For a 40' trawler, 1/2" three strand is the right size for adequate stretching. Anything thicker or braided does not provide any spring to be effective.

This mirrors my experience with a chain plate and the same technique exactly.
That big lazy loop behind the hook serves a lot more purposes than just keeping tension, by the way. I would continue with that practice regardless of attachment method, just as I did when I used rolling hitches, the simplest method of all.

LOL we also enjoy watching what I call "the anchor follies".
I especially like those who try to anchor with a 1 to 1 scope. Then repeat with a fouled rig. :popcorn:

LOL we also enjoy watching what I call "the anchor follies".
I especially like those who try to anchor with a 1 to 1 scope. Then repeat with a fouled rig. :popcorn:

They do that here too. I usually dinghy over after watching the entertainment and suggest to them to let more rode out.

Dave

Nice, but how did you do that don't follow 100%
Sorry, my explaination was pretty poor. I will try again.

There are two parts. A loop made with a stopper knot and a modified shackle with a loop instead of the stopper knot.

This is a loop I have at home only this is made with 3/16" dyneema and a diamond knot. The one I made for the boat is made with 1/4" dyneema and a modified button knot with buried tails. It has a breaking strength of about 17,000 lbs.

It is wrapped around the chain with a larks head, and then wrapped again.

Then there are photos of the second piece. This was the first one I made. It worked but I want a bit larger loop to increase the bury length and thereby the strength.

So the loop is passed through both the thimbles of the bridle legs and secured with a larks head. I only have one thimble here at the house but you can get the idea. You can also see why I wanted a bigger loop for both thimbles.

The shackle is attached to the stopper on the chain and then more chain is let out and the bridle legs secured at the length appropriate to the conditions.
IMG_20190825_093824.jpegIMG_20190825_093757.jpegIMG_20190825_093712.jpegIMG_20190825_095636.jpgIMG_20190825_095908.jpegIMG_20190825_100317.jpg

Dave, that all sounds great, and greatly appreciate the detail and photos. But still seems complicated and time consuming. I may be over sensitive as I lack some fine motor skills (breaking my neck didn't help that) Maybe a video someday? Of course I could be missing something obvious...

I'd agree that the less hard parts the better, perhaps speaks to my affection for the rolling hitch. But boy, that chain plate was so simple stupid and never let us down in literally hundreds of nights on the hook in all sorts of conditions.

Dave, that all sounds great, and greatly appreciate the detail and photos. But still seems complicated and time consuming. I may be over sensitive as I lack some fine motor skills (breaking my neck didn't help that) Maybe a video someday? Of course I could be missing something obvious...

I'd agree that the less hard parts the better, perhaps speaks to my affection for the rolling hitch. But boy, that chain plate was so simple stupid and never let us down in literally hundreds of nights on the hook in all sorts of conditions.

I certainly understand. I can see it being unfamiliar, but it takes me about a minute to connect it. I’ve never used a bridle plate before so I don’t have a point of comparison.

Back
Top Bottom