Anchor Ball Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you display an anchor ball when anchoring in the daytime?

• Yes - rules are rules

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • No - This rule is outdated.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Depends. In certain circumstances I might

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Display an anchor what?

Votes: 13 19.7%

• Total voters
Eastern Caribbean they are frequently seen. Bay Pelican almost always displays one

Witnessed a collision of a boat going through the anchorage and an anchored boat. The first words out of the mouth of the captain of the offending boat was "You don't have an anchor ball displayed."

I use one at work, but I don't have one on my boat. I probably should, but I don't. Nobody uses them in my area, and I doubt anybody would know what it was if I did.

Similar here. This thread is first I have heard of it. Since my boat doesn't have a mast, I am scratching my head as to where/how to mount one similar to what I found on Defender since there is a paucity of information about it.

The best place is on a post at the bow.

If I didn't have a mast...I would probably rig something with a fishing rod holder and a piece of PVC or boathook.

For me...anchored is the one time I don't keep a proper lookout all the time. Impossible and it goes against the reason why I anchor.

The anchor ball is the only thing that tells other boaters I am at anchor..not perfect but better than nothing. Not having it up and taking way more blame than I should if some yahoo does hit me would just piss me off. Especially and even more so if some armchair form of hearing would say "how hard can it be to fly an anchor ball?"

Last edited:
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf

I just re-read that section and it has length language but does not say shorter vessels are not required to hoist a ball at anchor, or three balls aground...

Is this what you are referring to?

on page 110

(e) A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor, not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule. (f) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length, when aground, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs (d)(i) and (ii) of this Rule.

I read it that vessels over 7 meters DO need to...anchored but not when aground. Am I missing something?​

Attachments

• 011a.jpg
    011a.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 93
Greetings,
VERY interesting thread! OK, so I get an anchor ball and it is suggested the bow is the best place to put it but the regulations say "where it can most readily be seen".
What about a vessel approaching from my stern? Wouldn't above mentioned ball be obscured by my superstructure? I would think, hoisted aloft from one of my spreaders would be more visible than the suggested location-yes? Hmmm....interpretation of rules-conundrum.
Just to be clear, I was aware of the regulation but have never displayed a black anchoring ball. I don't even have one. Seems like a visit to Mr. HC.may be in the offing or a delivery request to my current location perhaps although I just did a search of the Hopkins/Carter site and couldn't find a listing for such a product. Mr. HC, the ball's in your court...(Only 32 miles door to dock).

Greetings,
VERY interesting thread! OK, so I get an anchor ball and it is suggested the bow is the best place to put it but the regulations say "where it can most readily be seen".
What about a vessel approaching from my stern? Wouldn't above mentioned ball be obscured by my superstructure? I would think, hoisted aloft from one of my spreaders would be more visible than the suggested location-yes? Hmmm....interpretation of rules-conundrum.
Just to be clear, I was aware of the regulation but have never displayed a black anchoring ball. I don't even have one. Seems like a visit to Mr. HC.may be in the offing or a delivery request to my current location perhaps although I just did a search of the Hopkins/Carter site and couldn't find a listing for such a product. Mr. HC, the ball's in your court...(Only 32 miles door to dock).

If a vessel approaching from the stern can't see it...it is just like just seeing a white light ahead at night.

A single white light ahead is you are approaching the stern of an underway boat or a vessel at anchor.

It doesn't matter as you are give way.

So it is better that it can be seen all around...but not that big of a deal...it still does the job of letting other vessel know what to do.

Thirty plus years on the Florida Intracoastal and I can probably county on one hand the number of times I've seen one used by pleasure craft.

I must admit that I initially thought the original question was referring to using a buoy ball to mark where an anchor is located--I do this on occasion. I remember some folks using empty painted bleach containers years ago for this purpose.

Last edited:
Great topic. I don't have one, I have seen people use them on the Columbia River. A PO removed the mast on our boat & which leaves the question of where & how to devise a solid mount for one on the arch. In Mexico, I never saw one on any type of boat.

RTF, I'd love to make a delivery. Next time we need to go to Broward, I'll send you a PM and maybe we can get together. I made a delivery to FF up by Lake Okeechobee a couple of weeks ago. It was fun meeting him and he's only about half as crazy as you.

Eastern Caribbean they are frequently seen. Bay Pelican almost always displays one

Witnessed a collision of a boat going through the anchorage and an anchored boat. The first words out of the mouth of the captain of the offending boat was "You don't have an anchor ball displayed."

was the guy looking for the ball and missed seeing the boat? :banghead::banghead:
How does one hit a stopped boat? You can't fix stupid!

Last edited:
Would this be sufficient? If so, buy a bunch of black balloons and blow one up and tie it to a string and let it fly!

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 287
I have never seen one displayed around this part of the Maine coast. There is very little enforcement here, which may be a factor. If I boated in a more crowded place I would display an anchor ball.

I have to confess, it was HopCar that put me up to starting this thread in order to drum up some business. Personally, I think he could recommended starting a discussion about something with a better profit potential.

:D

Greetings,
Mr. HC. "...only about half as crazy as you..." THAT comment just got me another 5% discount! I"m SO cheap I must have been a sailboater in a previous life...

zBjtj.gif

Last edited:
Thanks L&F, can we talk about anchors next? I've got a bunch of Rocnas and Vulcans I'd like to move.

Unlike the red and white scheme used for divers, I can't imagine something more difficult to see and make out than a black ball. Black just doesn't seem to demand anyones attention. Just my 2 cents worth. Maybe when I see and notice one, I will change my mind but for now, it fails the smell test....even at only 20 bucks (plus mounting).

RTF, that is one weird image.

Greetings,
Mr. HC. OK, 4 3/4%. Better? Image is supposed to be the sound of an anemic blow boat motor...Missed? Well, I'm not 100% all the time-careful...

If this were April 1 I'd suspect this entire black anchor ball discussion is a joke and all those photos are just radar reflectors painted black.

Thirty plus years on the Florida Intracoastal and I can probably county on one hand the number of times I've seen one used by pleasure craft.

I must admit that I initially thought the original question was referring to using a buoy ball to mark where an anchor is located--I do this on occasion. I remember some folks using empty painted bleach containers years ago for this purpose.

Likewise...we don't see it around BC waters. The admiral and I don't remember it coming up in Power Squadron. Probably should get one.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I was happy to see the anchor balls displayed on barges in the Chesapeake and Delaware.

The wind and current made it hard to tell if they were underway and slowly maneuvering which would have required action on my part or not.....

Once you know what to look for and why....they are an invaluable tool for safety.

Funny how AIS is praised so much and yet something that has been around for a long time is so foreign to many. My guess is anchor balls have been there, just not noticed by many.

I made a delivery to FF up by Lake Okeechobee a couple of weeks ago. It was fun meeting him and he's only about half as crazy as you.
Parks, you have a wonderful attitude about your customers! No wonder you're so successful!:lol::lol::lol:......:ermm:

Rule 30 - Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground

Very interesting - I was not aware that this applied to inland powerboats >7m

Is anyone aware of a USCG inspection even checking for the req'd day shapes?

I would doubt whether any / many inland law enforcement patrols are even aware of this requirement - they certainly are not enforcing it and, to my knowledge, not even informing recreational owner / operators of the reqm't.

No, I anchor out of the channel in sloughs, behind islands or sandbars.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom