View Poll Results: Do you display an anchor ball when anchoring in the daytime?
Yes - rules are rules 12 18.18%
No - This rule is outdated. 23 34.85%
Depends. In certain circumstances I might 18 27.27%
Display an anchor what? 13 19.70%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I don't own a ball and I've never seen a ball displayed by small vessels like ours. I use the white anchor light when anchored at night.

Is there any prohibition against running the black ball day shape 24/7/365? I looked but can't find one.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
it denotes being anchored....if at anchor...no problem with leaving it up...just display an anchor light at night too.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I use one 80% of the time. Mine is touted as being a radar reflector as well. I do normally leave it up at night as well, not so much for the radar reflection properties as to lazy to take it down.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:41 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I have the anchor "ball" but have never used it. But then I anchor rarely (about once a year; don't fish) and most of the time over-night.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Is there any prohibition against running the black ball day shape 24/7/365? I looked but can't find one.
It indicates one is anchored. So, only when one's anchored, Al.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #26
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Judging from the number of day signals I've sold over the years, I doubt that even one in fifty boats has one onboard.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Judging from the number of day signals I've sold over the years, I doubt that even one in fifty boats has one onboard.
I wish the sailboaters would but you out of steaming cones.....drives me nuts going out of my way only to see the engine exhaust stream after going by them.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #28
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
I always display the anchor ball. Besides being a rule, I believe it has helped me when the water cops come by. It's OBVIOUS I know the rules and comply. I've only seen one or two others displayed, but hey, I've only been out here seven years so there's still hope eh?

And a friend (hi Bill!) called me once to say he saw a sailboat with an anchor ball. This should not be a rare occurrence.

From observation, the only folks with real anchor lights (not solar lawn lights) are cruisers. Locals are slack. And almost nobody puts up a black anchor ball.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #29
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
I've almost never seen one in the U.S. and didn't even know of the requirement until I took the Master's class.

In Europe however they are used pretty much by everyone and you can be fined without it.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:09 AM   #30
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
I've almost never seen one in the U.S. and didn't even know of the requirement until I took the Master's class.
Similar here. This thread is first I have heard of it. Since my boat doesn't have a mast, I am scratching my head as to where/how to mount one similar to what I found on Defender since there is a paucity of information about it.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:22 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Eastern Caribbean they are frequently seen. Bay Pelican almost always displays one

Witnessed a collision of a boat going through the anchorage and an anchored boat. The first words out of the mouth of the captain of the offending boat was "You don't have an anchor ball displayed."
Old 04-25-2015, 03:49 AM   #32
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
I use one at work, but I don't have one on my boat. I probably should, but I don't. Nobody uses them in my area, and I doubt anybody would know what it was if I did.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:08 AM   #33

City: Mystic CT
Vessel Name: Duchess
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sedan
No
Flotsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Similar here. This thread is first I have heard of it. Since my boat doesn't have a mast, I am scratching my head as to where/how to mount one similar to what I found on Defender since there is a paucity of information about it.
The best place is on a post at the bow.

If I didn't have a mast...I would probably rig something with a fishing rod holder and a piece of PVC or boathook.

For me...anchored is the one time I don't keep a proper lookout all the time. Impossible and it goes against the reason why I anchor.

The anchor ball is the only thing that tells other boaters I am at anchor..not perfect but better than nothing. Not having it up and taking way more blame than I should if some yahoo does hit me would just piss me off. Especially and even more so if some armchair form of hearing would say "how hard can it be to fly an anchor ball?"
Old 04-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #35
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf

I just re-read that section and it has length language but does not say shorter vessels are not required to hoist a ball at anchor, or three balls aground...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:46 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf

I just re-read that section and it has length language but does not say shorter vessels are not required to hoist a ball at anchor, or three balls aground...
Is this what you are referring to?

on page 110

(e) A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor, not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule. (f) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length, when aground, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs (d)(i) and (ii) of this Rule.

I read it that vessels over 7 meters DO need to...anchored but not when aground. Am I missing something?
Old 04-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The best place is on a post at the bow...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011a.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	39524  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #38
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
VERY interesting thread! OK, so I get an anchor ball and it is suggested the bow is the best place to put it but the regulations say "where it can most readily be seen".
What about a vessel approaching from my stern? Wouldn't above mentioned ball be obscured by my superstructure? I would think, hoisted aloft from one of my spreaders would be more visible than the suggested location-yes? Hmmm....interpretation of rules-conundrum.
Just to be clear, I was aware of the regulation but have never displayed a black anchoring ball. I don't even have one. Seems like a visit to Mr. HC.may be in the offing or a delivery request to my current location perhaps although I just did a search of the Hopkins/Carter site and couldn't find a listing for such a product. Mr. HC, the ball's in your court...(Only 32 miles door to dock).
Old 04-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
VERY interesting thread! OK, so I get an anchor ball and it is suggested the bow is the best place to put it but the regulations say "where it can most readily be seen".
What about a vessel approaching from my stern? Wouldn't above mentioned ball be obscured by my superstructure? I would think, hoisted aloft from one of my spreaders would be more visible than the suggested location-yes? Hmmm....interpretation of rules-conundrum.
Just to be clear, I was aware of the regulation but have never displayed a black anchoring ball. I don't even have one. Seems like a visit to Mr. HC.may be in the offing or a delivery request to my current location perhaps although I just did a search of the Hopkins/Carter site and couldn't find a listing for such a product. Mr. HC, the ball's in your court...(Only 32 miles door to dock).
If a vessel approaching from the stern can't see it...it is just like just seeing a white light ahead at night.

A single white light ahead is you are approaching the stern of an underway boat or a vessel at anchor.

It doesn't matter as you are give way.

So it is better that it can be seen all around...but not that big of a deal...it still does the job of letting other vessel know what to do.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #40

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Thirty plus years on the Florida Intracoastal and I can probably county on one hand the number of times I've seen one used by pleasure craft.

I must admit that I initially thought the original question was referring to using a buoy ball to mark where an anchor is located--I do this on occasion. I remember some folks using empty painted bleach containers years ago for this purpose.