Anacortes liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canada lets you visit for a year at a time. I once met a guy there that had been doing this for over ten years, and at least once a year he'd go visit Alaska or Wash state, then return back to Sidney.
Is this still the case or is this one of those “under the radar” situations?
I thought an import tax was payable if the boat stayed in Canada more than 6 months, unless proven work was being done over the winter.

Is this still the case or is this one of those “under the radar” situations?
I thought an import tax was payable if the boat stayed in Canada more than 6 months, unless proven work was being done over the winter.

It was not "Under the radar" when we did it in 2018. Americans simply call in to Canadian customs upon arrival, they ask how long you're staying- you can stay up to 364 days- and they give you a visitor registration number you post in a dockside window of your boat.
You also did not have to be having any work done. I believe this process is further simplified by getting a NEXUS card.

Wait list in the PNW are long. Most often you will see boats for sale at 20-50% over market value due to a transferable slip. I have been on the wait list in Everett for about 6 months now. I am still at the very bottom. We ended up buying a boat in Everett with a covered slip 1/2 for the boat and 1/2 for the slip. We will stay on the 40' North Dock wait list for probably 2-3 more years...

I got on a waiting list a few years ago at the marina in Bellingham, and was told there was a roughly 10 year waiting list. After that, there is apparently another waiting list before you can liveaboard full time. I'm wondering if there are some boaters in that area with knowledge of marinas in that area that accept a new liveaboard without such a long wait. I know Blaine is easier to get into, but I would prefer to live in a bigger town. Is Anacortes or La Conner any easier to get into, or do you have to go to a much more remote location like Port Townsend? I would prefer to avoid the Seattle traffic scene if at all possible. Thanks for any insights.
Semiahmoo Marina allows live aboard. Wonderful Marina, absolutely love it. At Blaine Marina, once you are accepted as liveaboard you can transfer to Bellingham when opening comes up. Point Roberts also allows liveaboard. Great place also. Get Nexus card. Border crossings waits are long without it.

Port Ludlow Marina might be available. I have seen new live-aboards recently.

Back
Top Bottom