Old 07-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

City: Visalia
Anacortes fly in

We would like to to attend theTrawler Fest next May. We live in CA and since we don't have a boat "yet" we will have to fly in. Want to start now watching ticket prices,. Any suggestions on best places to fly into, proximity to Show, Hotels etc.

ktenhet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: puyallup
Vessel Name: Neaptide
Vessel Model: tung hwa clipper 30
Cant help you with hotels, but you might look into flying in to Bellingham, about an hour or less north of Anacortes and no Seattle traffic hassels

amdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Scout
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
I'll second Bellingham as an easy city to stay in and visit Anacortes. Especially if you can get a direct flight. There are many hotels to chose from and car rental choices.
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
For lodging, I have stayed at the Channel Lodge in La Conner; it is pricey, but if you're looking for a cosy little spot it is great, and about 15 minutes drive from Anacortes. And a great little town to visit as well. assuming there is time away from the Trawlerfest to do that.

La Conner Country Inn and Channel LodgeLa Conner Country Inn & Channel Lodge
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #5

Great thanks so much for the airport advice. Anyone heard of the 2014 dates and exact location?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #6

City: Everett
wow I would love to go this.I dont have a boat either but I am looking at purchasing one and I am always looking for different ideas.
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Whimsy
Vessel Model: Camano 31
An Alternative

Trawler Fest is OK but you might have more looking opportunities at the Seattle Boast Show in January. Cheap flights to SEA, take Skytrain to downtown, pick one of 100's hotels, walk to show, ride free shuttle to the "In the Water Show", spend hours walking the venues. In a week you'll see more stuff that you don't need plus a lot that would be nice to have. Oh, great restaurants too.

Tom
CamanoFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #8

City: Mazatlan
Vessel Name: MV Discovery
Vessel Model: 46 Nordhavn
I lived in Anacortes for 8 years and now live on the boat in Mexico. This is how we do it.

Fly into Sea-Tac airport. If you fly to Bellingham you'll fly to Sea-Tac and then take a very expensive commuter flight to Bellingham.

Once in Seat-Tac take the airport shuttle to Anacortes. It's a nice ride that takes around 2 hours. In Anacortes there are lots of hotels all near the marina, Cap Sante, where trawlerfest is. You can rent a car in Anacortes for a lot less than Sea-Tac because you don't pay all the Seattle taxes that they have to pay for the sports stadiums.
Take the shuttle to return to the airport.

Google -
Anacortes WA airport shuttle
Anacortes hotels
Anacortes car rentals

This will get you all the info. Reserve early as the town fills up fast.
Send me an email if you need more info.
fosborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogenguy View Post
Trawler Fest is OK but you might have more looking opportunities at the Seattle Boast Show in January. Cheap flights to SEA, take Skytrain to downtown, pick one of 100's hotels, walk to show, ride free shuttle to the "In the Water Show", spend hours walking the venues. In a week you'll see more stuff that you don't need plus a lot that would be nice to have. Oh, great restaurants too.

Tom
X2. We stay at the Silver Could Lake Union near the in the water show. Trawler Fest Anacortes cannot compare.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Travel to Bellingham from California has improved dramatically with Allegiant Air now flying directly to Bellingham from several cities in California.

Also, the shuttle schedule shows it to be a bit longer from Seatac to Anacortes than previously posted. About 2.5 hours. (except longer if there is heavy traffic)

The Seattle Boats Afloat Show(s) are in January and September. They offer a full, well rounded show with sailboats, motoryachts, trawlers, and express cruisers on display. But for pure trawler viewing, as well as seminars, demonstrations and mingling with other like-minded trawler enthusiasts, you can't beat Trawler Fest. I don't know if next year's dates have been established yet but the Passagemaker website will have them as soon as they are set.
OkSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #11

Well we are 3 hours north from LA and 1 hour south of Fresno. There isno perfect flights, , but at least now I can watch the flights in all the places you guys have suggested.
Is there something we need to do ahead of time other than just get a hotel and show up at marina to walk around?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
You can purchase tickets to the show when you arrive. However, if you are interested in attending Passagemaker University or any of the other seminars, I suggest signing up ahead of time through Passagemaker's website.

You have plenty of time as the next Trawler Fest in Anacortes is not until next May. You could attend in Baltimore or Fort Lauderdale in September and next January, respectively.
OkSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
X2. We stay at the Silver Could Lake Union near the in the water show. Trawler Fest Anacortes cannot compare.
& won't go again. I went to the first 2 in San Diego and the only neat thing that happened to me was a 20 minute conversation with John Ratzenberger. (Cliff Clavin of Cheers) He had a GB 42 Classic at that time.
Attached Images

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #14

Seems like mixed reviews about what boat tye of show to attend and where. ( I like it) Hers some details. We think we are looking for a trawler type. One that can do the "loop" a year or two and then possibley the Inside Passage or maybe flip those, as we have no idea about boating other than our 60` houseboat in a lake.
If you had to choose trawlerfest to attend which one would it be and which show over all for newbies would you suggest.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Baltimore in September.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote