Old 06-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Log Books

Should you log river trips that average 40 miles ?. Do most of you log every trip? Is it all just personal preference ?
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Should you log river trips that average 40 miles ?. Do most of you log every trip? Is it all just personal preference ?
I make note in log each time aboard boat; taught that way from child hood on through to a-dult.

Longer durations usually result in longer entries. Each time during stays of any length (long or short) if addition or change has been made to boat I place entry and the complete details if important. I don't log each time I wash boat, neither do I do log water fillings... and, that's about all I don't log! Log entry is like a diary... only better... cause it's quick, simple and there's little to no emotion, just plain facts for future reference!

Also, when selling the boat there will be years of documentation as to what actually happened to that boat during your ownership. And, God forbid, if there are ever court actions or insurance claim that require documented back up for your boat - the log is invaluable. Besides, upon occasion it's fun to reminisce with your Admiral about high points of boating years past while sitting on the hook and enjoying libations up on the sun deck or bridge!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: somewhere
Don't use a log book.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Being live a boards neither do we. I keep a maintenance repair up grade log.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
We log every trip and maintenance events. Just have a lined notebook, nothing fancy. It's fun to go back and read through.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I keep two log books.

One, we've had for a very long time. We make entries every time the boat leaves the dock. It is our blog of sorts, describing our adventures. I've had allot of fun digging up old boating memories in this logbook.

The second logbook is the boats log. It shows everything that is done to the boat, everything. Every fuel fill, every qt of oil. Every fix, repair or addition.

Each log book is a hard bound accounting book, hand written with entries dated.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #7

City: South Puget Sound, WA
I maintained the log for Budds Outlet on our laptop. It was a combination of Kevin's two logs. On our next boat I think we will use Kevin's approach. When we sold Budds Outlet I was asked for the maintenance log. I had to strip out a lot entertainment blog to provide a "just the facts" maintenance log.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
An official "ships log" can help you if you are careful and log major items...say you are in thick fog and heavy shipping. having logged times of turning on nav lights and commencing whistle signals could come in very handy.

I also keep a maintenance/hrs/distance spreadsheet and a costs spreadsheet when cruising.

I can vouch for nearly every penny, gallon of fuel, etc..etc...because I use computer laptop nav..it's easy to keep up with while I'm mindlessly cruising along at 6.3 knots...especially when on autopilot.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I keep both a maintenance and cruising logs on Moonstruck. When I sell a boat, the maintenance log goes with it. It will tell the new owner what was changed or added and when, and how the scheduled maintenance was done. The cruising log stays with me. It documents hours of operation, destinations, who was on board, and any conditions or events during the cruise. It should be contemporaneous and no erasures. Corrections can be made, but lined out and initialed. A log book can verify your experience, and if necessary used in a court of law. On most cruises I keep it by day. It's not pretty because sometimes notes are being made while operating the boat.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #10
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Two log books would be a good idea. I only keep one, but had to come up with a imaginative way of recording that I ran aground, so it wouldn't concern possible future buyers.
Generally I record all work done, details of journeys, fuel usage, engine hours, mechanical problems, sail trim, weather, sea state etc in a diary format. Then I summarize the mechanical servicing and fuel usage on a chart at the back of the book for quick reference.

Marine stores sell purpose made log books, but I went for a simple hard bound blank book.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
FF
Guru

We follow the Navy practice and keep both a rough and smooth log.

The rough log is the trip journal, phone numbers etc ,

the smooth is for reference in the future , and is a legal document.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I've never kept a log, but now I sometimes wish I had. I guess it was a rebellion against the fact I have to accurately record all my medical consults, so I felt I did not want to do it for my recreation as well. However, as the memory dims, it would be kinda fun to be able to look back as remind oneself what and where you have done and been. Too late now really, so yes...do it if it's your thing.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I keep a diary in a spiral bound 5"x8" notebook with lined pages. They make great references I keep it beside me at the helm and make notes throughout the day weather tides speed vs rpm depths at various landmarks and anchorages. I also keep track of fuel purchases and miles covered.
When I was working I spent about 50% of my time on trips overseas. I have them all recorded in diaries back to 1969.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
We follow the Navy practice and keep both a rough and smooth log.

The rough log is the trip journal, phone numbers etc ,

the smooth is for reference in the future , and is a legal document.
I have a good friend who is a retired US Navy captain, and had taught ship handling at the Academy. He keeps a beautiful log written in beautiful hand with an ink pen (not ball point). His wife doesn't like it. She says that he writes down when she goes to pee and how long it took! He says that when you leave the bridge it has to be recorded.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

I have a good friend who is a retired US Navy captain, and had taught ship handling at the Academy. He keeps a beautiful log written in beautiful hand with an ink pen (not ball point). His wife doesn't like it. She says that he writes down when she goes to pee and how long it took! He says that when you leave the bridge it has to be recorded.
I don't blame her. This is supposed to be fun.

It's not like I'll be planning a full naval assault...
Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I don't blame her. This is supposed to be fun.

It's not like I'll be planning a full naval assault...

My daily log entry is either early in morn afore anyone aboard wakes or in eve as all get restful - I feel if I can't remember what happened during last 12 hrs to write it down... it's time to cash it in and go permanently swimming with the fish!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Got a log book. Sort of.

Usually just for recording fuel consumption and for new people on board to input there thoughts on the trip.

I never write about that sort of things.

I was there I know what happened.

SD
Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
Art
Guru

Yo, SD

Great to hear from you. Bring us up to date if time permits!

Cheers, Art
Old 06-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I keep a digital log on my laptop call Boat Priority Tasks. It's part wish list, part to-do list, part a record of all improvements and repairs since day 1.

I list all projects in order of priority. Right now I have 6-8 number 1's, 34 2's, a few 3's, etc. As projects are completed, they move to the historical log listing all completed repairs and improvements with the date of completion. I also keep a list of all part numbers for filters, belts, etc and fluid specs and quantities. If in doubt at the store, I can access the document on my Google Drive (like a cloud).

I also keep a hand written spiral notebook log of all routine maintenance performed. When I log scheduled maintenance, I also record the date and hour meter readings. Then I add when the next service is due in hour meter times. I also record each and every fuel purchase including date, hour meter readings, quantity, price and avg hourly fuel consumption. Each filter change, oil change or top-off also gets logged.

I never kept a log of all my escapades for fear that some day it might be used against me in a court of law.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I log a trip to the fuel dock. Obviously not as detailed as a 100 mile trip, but hey...how long does it take? And I can certainly never rely on my poor memory! I made up my own logs in Word, then have them spiral bound.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote