Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #21
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,957
Wow, That looks great! Friends of ours have a waterfront home and 2 large dogs. My wife asked her how they maintain the wood floors and was told it was Amtico. 10 plus years and looking great.
__________________
Advertisement

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Tunajoe's Avatar
 
City: Ventura
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 216
Quick question:
Can you elaborate on the 2 part epoxy?
You said you mix right on the floor?
How do you get the right proportions?

All the cans I've received from Amtico, have a weird proprietary can design. The catalyst sits inside a container which is built into the lid of the epoxy.
You have to puncture it thru the lid, which allows the catalyst to drain into the epoxy.

Just curious about any easier ways to mix up this stuff.
__________________

Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #23
Guru
 
tpbrady's Avatar
 
City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 505
TunaJoe,

The two part epoxy we got was in two different plastic containers. The instructions said to mix container B into container A. Combined they filled up one container. The containers had different amounts in each, so we worked out the proportions needed for smaller batches. It came out to one third of one to 2/3 of the other. We used two disposable measuring cups, one for each of the parts. We poured the two measured amounts on the floor together, mixed them in place and then troweled them out. Each batch did about 20 sq ft. If you followed the instructions on the container, you had better dump the whole thing on the floor immediately because 20 minutes later you will end up with a very hot solid container of epoxy. The instructions were geared toward putting flooring in a warehouse and not a boat.

I looked at my material invoice and the adhesive is listed as "Mannington Adhesive 2 part epoxy V95". The floor material was listed as Amtico teak (beveled edge) R-W699WEU 2.25in x 36 in. and came 45 sq ft per carton. The separating strips were Amtico Maple feature strip AROW6840 1/4 x 36 in. 200 pcs per carton.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #24
Guru
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
Here is a picture of the finished product.
Very nice work...
I didn't realize 1/4" strip was available to do the true nautical Teak / Maple look.

I looked at Amtico product literature and can't tell what the edge looks like -
Are the planks & strips tongue & groove - grove & spline or square butt joints?
__________________
Don
MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #25
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,501
Nice job . Looks great .
__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Tunajoe's Avatar
 
City: Ventura
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
TunaJoe,

The two part epoxy we got was in two different plastic containers. The instructions said to mix container B into container A. Combined they filled up one container. The containers had different amounts in each, so we worked out the proportions needed for smaller batches. It came out to one third of one to 2/3 of the other. We used two disposable measuring cups, one for each of the parts. We poured the two measured amounts on the floor together, mixed them in place and then troweled them out. Each batch did about 20 sq ft. If you followed the instructions on the container, you had better dump the whole thing on the floor immediately because 20 minutes later you will end up with a very hot solid container of epoxy. The instructions were geared toward putting flooring in a warehouse and not a boat.

I looked at my material invoice and the adhesive is listed as "Mannington Adhesive 2 part epoxy V95". The floor material was listed as Amtico teak (beveled edge) R-W699WEU 2.25in x 36 in. and came 45 sq ft per carton. The separating strips were Amtico Maple feature strip AROW6840 1/4 x 36 in. 200 pcs per carton.

Tom
Gotcha. Thank you Tom.

My 2 part epoxy has always been one can with the catalyst but into the lid.
Good to know the actual Amtico product numbers.
I'm going to encourage my kids to start drinking grape juice in the salon and hopefully they'll spill a bunch so I can do an install in my boat.
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Tunajoe's Avatar
 
City: Ventura
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Very nice work...
I didn't realize 1/4" strip was available to do the true nautical Teak / Maple look.

I looked at Amtico product literature and can't tell what the edge looks like -
Are the planks & strips tongue & groove - grove & spline or square butt joints?
It comes with a butt edge.
It's available with a beveled edge or non beveled.
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #28
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,518
"I didn't realize 1/4" strip was available to do the true nautical Teak / Maple look".

Interior boat decks were teak and HOLLY.

The Holly stood proud about 1/8 of an inch to make the deck no skid when wet..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #29
Member
 
City: Seal Rock, Oregon
Country: USA
Vessel Name: peephole
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5
Amtico Tigerwood

I pulled my carpet and lots of staples and put down the flooring on the plywood after a good sanding. The hatches were trimmed with hickory and the stairs were cut from solid tiger wood! Nordic Tug 37-008
Pescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Tunajoe's Avatar
 
City: Ventura
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 216
Post up some pictures!
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:21 PM   #31
Member
 
City: Seal Rock, Oregon
Country: USA
Vessel Name: peephole
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5
Amtico Tigerwood

Nordic 37-08
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4809[1].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	44492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4832[2].jpg
Views:	38
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	44493  
Pescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Tunajoe's Avatar
 
City: Ventura
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 216
looks fantastic!
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #33
Member
 
City: Seal Rock, Oregon
Country: USA
Vessel Name: peephole
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5
Amtico Tigerwood

Thanks, Carpet does not go well with dogs or fishing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4845.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	44494  
Pescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:52 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Tunajoe's Avatar
 
City: Ventura
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescado View Post
Thanks, Carpet does not go well with dogs or fishing!
Or my 2 young kids!
__________________

Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012