Old 09-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #1

City: Leland, NC
Vessel Model: Still looking
Smile America's Cup

Wife just saw on news that the Cup will be returning to mono-hulls! Hell Yeah!

Tom A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
That's a shame. Back to watching paint dry, grass grow .....

Monohulls for the 36th America's Cup >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Oh well...it was fun while it lasted!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #4

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Actually they are returning to Planing monohulls
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #5

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
New Zealand bring back monohulls | The Royal Gazette:Bermuda Sailing

This is the report on the change from "The Royal Gazette' in bermuda
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Mahimahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
Most racing monohulls plane, but these will foil.
Lots of detail to come and how much weight in the keel is the key.
To foil effectively, weight is the enemy.
Will they foil in less than 10 kn wind speed, my guess is no.
They had better foil in 15kn or it could be pretty dull after Bermuda.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #7

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
Wife just saw on news that the Cup will be returning to mono-hulls! Hell Yeah!

Yes but if you're thinking that the A36 boats will be much closer to traditional sailboats, don't get too excited. A little slower than the cats but still riding on foils and even more new technology.

Through history Americas Cup boats are a "development class". I'm personally all for it, and I race one-design boats (Solings back in the day, and Thistles, Windmills, more recently J-80's, etc.)

Those one-designs are almost all about the crew's sailing skills because the boats are essentially identical. Like the Olympics.

AC is about world class skills, plus who can take advantage of the most advanced design details within the constraints of the formula.
Big money.

I'm looking forward to it...the new hulls were a deal-point when team Luna Rossa agreed to help NZ.
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #8

City: Subic Bay
Now I know I'm showing my age here (just a bit!) but having these fine yachts racing in NZ conditions for me at least would be spectacular!!!. Now there's some fine skill there!!

"AMERICA" winner 1851-First Cup

Cheers Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08 pix americas cup 2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	68516  
CaptSteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:34 AM   #9
FF
Guru

At one time racing improved the breed , ideas could be translated to boats most folks would enjoy.

Foilers have been here for at least 1/2 century , with no use except for stunters.

Bring back the J boats !!!

Imagine what carbon fiber and modern engineering could do in a 150ft toy!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #10

Right. But let's keep Formula 1 car racing, because those F1 cars translate so well into the average person's enjoyment of their daily driver.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSteve53 View Post
Now I know I'm showing my age here (just a bit!) but having these fine yachts racing in NZ conditions for me at least would be spectacular!!!. Now there's some fine skill there!!

"AMERICA" winner 1851-First Cup

Cheers Steve

"Showing your age"? How old were you in the 1850's?
Old 09-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #12
FF
Guru

. "But let's keep Formula 1 car racing, because those F1 cars translate so well into the average person's enjoyment of their daily driver."

Notice the size of disc brakes on production cars?

Huge discs are even now used on 18 wheelers , in an attempt to not crash into a car that can stop from 60mph in 150 Ft.

The new computer adjustable shock absorbers also come from the circuit.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #13
Guru

City: Boston Area
It looks like there will also be a nationality requirement as well. That might help generate more fan support as countries can "root for their own".

What happens to the boats that were used in the last race i wonder ? So expensive to have a lifespan measured in weeks.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #14

City: Subic Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
"Showing your age"? How old were you in the 1850's?
Old enough to know you're trouble! and any way -Age doesn't matter unless you are cheese or wine.
CaptSteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #15

So, it is your position that research and development for Americas Cup boats has not contributed any useful technology to pleasure boats?
Old 09-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
It looks like there will also be a nationality requirement as well. That might help generate more fan support as countries can "root for their own".

What happens to the boats that were used in the last race i wonder ? So expensive to have a lifespan measured in weeks.

Rooting for their own: I'm all for that, except that the Kiwi's will once again beat us like a rented mule.

AC Boat lifespan:
The winner is put out to stud, for a fee. I hear they're breeding the NZ cat with the old 12 meter Stars & Stripes. That's why the next boats will slower monohulls with foils.

I believe the losers get put through a giant tree branch shredding machine.
Think "Fargo".
Old 09-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Mahimahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
Nice comparison with F1.
Chris Dickson was on the radio here yesterday saying the Americas Cup has been around for 170 years. To put that in a sporting context he said the Americas Cup will see motor racing with internal combustion engines come and go in its lifetime.
He also said he was hoping more US teams will come down here to the Hauraki Gulf and have a go.
The biggest fleet was Freemantle with 17 teams, the two in New Zealand had 12 and 10 teams. The two run by Oracle where pretty thin in comparison.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #18

For the record, I'm a fan of all kinds of sports. And I love racing "traditional" sailboats. I think the old Stars - a long time Olympic boat that is incredibly hard to sail - were absolutely beautiful but their time has come and gone. They got passed up by newer designs. I get it, but I do miss them.

I've done a lot of racing on old and new boats. But this is the technology age and every sport has its "R & D" division. The Americas Cup, the Vendee, the Volvo Challenge...they are the proving grounds for new sailboat technology. The boats and crews often get pushed to their limits. That's partly a good thing because it means that we, as humans, are using our brains as (I believe) our Creator intended. Wing keels, low stretch ropes, better instruments, even human-generated power systems, are all advanced - if not developed - through racing these leading-edge boats.

This isn't unique to sailing. Compared to 50 years ago, golf equipment is far better today, football helmets are safer, top fuel dragster tires can handle 300+ mph, on and on. Meanwhile every one of those sports have become more popular to the masses.
My great uncle, Ray Harroun, won the first Indianapolis 500. He averaged about 75 mph. His technical contribution was using a rear view mirror for the first time on a race car. But think of the advances in that sport! An F1 engine...just the engine...costs $8 million. The Red Bull F1 team spends $320 million per year. So it's a good thing a lot of fans watch F1 and the ads that come with it. Same with the AC. The tech is a big part of why it has gotten so popular, which indirectly pays the bills, which allows more R&D. The Cup has become interesting to non-sailors who can't be expected to know much about racing tactics. But they like the excitement. That's good for the sport and we all benefit when that technology gets translated into pleasure boats.

Maybe the new AC boats aren't 'pretty' and I won't try to convince anyone to like them. Personally I think they're way cool. But pretty or not, they really are a testament to the human mind. Im certain that's what people said about J boats nearly 100 years ago.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:45 AM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I can't picture single-hullsed boats with foils. But as long as there is a trend toward single-hulled, multi-masted boats with long bow-sprits, the better.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Portland, TN
Vessel Name: Roundabout
Vessel Model: 2000 Donzi Z275
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
For the record, I'm a fan of all kinds of sports. And I love racing "traditional" sailboats. I think the old Stars - a long time Olympic boat that is incredibly hard to sail - were absolutely beautiful but their time has come and gone. They got passed up by newer designs. I get it, but I do miss them.

I've done a lot of racing on old and new boats. But this is the technology age and every sport has its "R & D" division. The Americas Cup, the Vendee, the Volvo Challenge...they are the proving grounds for new sailboat technology. The boats and crews often get pushed to their limits. That's partly a good thing because it means that we, as humans, are using our brains as (I believe) our Creator intended. Wing keels, low stretch ropes, better instruments, even human-generated power systems, are all advanced - if not developed - through racing these leading-edge boats.

This isn't unique to sailing. Compared to 50 years ago, golf equipment is far better today, football helmets are safer, top fuel dragster tires can handle 300+ mph, on and on. Meanwhile every one of those sports have become more popular to the masses.
My great uncle, Ray Harroun, won the first Indianapolis 500. He averaged about 75 mph. His technical contribution was using a rear view mirror for the first time on a race car. But think of the advances in that sport! An F1 engine...just the engine...costs $8 million. The Red Bull F1 team spends $320 million per year. So it's a good thing a lot of fans watch F1 and the ads that come with it. Same with the AC. The tech is a big part of why it has gotten so popular, which indirectly pays the bills, which allows more R&D. The Cup has become interesting to non-sailors who can't be expected to know much about racing tactics. But they like the excitement. That's good for the sport and we all benefit when that technology gets translated into pleasure boats.

Maybe the new AC boats aren't 'pretty' and I won't try to convince anyone to like them. Personally I think they're way cool. But pretty or not, they really are a testament to the human mind. Im certain that's what people said about J boats nearly 100 years ago.
Yaaa someone that knows what a Star is. My dad's first big boat was a wooden Star.. sailed her on Lake Champlain. Sold her and bought a Lippincott star that had an Olympic Gold Star on her mainsail. I learned my sailing skills on a Sunfish, then the Stars. They are beautiful boats

Sparks5501 is offline   Reply With Quote