Old 05-15-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Grosse Ile
Need app name for marinas while cruising

I forgot the name of a phone app that informed where you could find out about marinas, fuel prices etc while cruising along. Could someone please help me out. I'm ready to take my new used boat from Milwaukee to Detroit. Thanks much.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Active Captain is the usual suspect.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thank you Donsan
Old 05-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Just to be clear. Active Captain as a web site only works with PCs (it uses flash) to show a detailed raster chart with the AC database indicated. But the AC database, which is what you need for marina, anchorage information is built in to a lot of tablet apps both for Androids and iPads which don't require flash.

There is also something called Active Captain Companion which is an app created by AC that also has the AC database, but it does not have detailed navigation charts like the nav apps have.

If you are just doing trip planning, I would go on the AC web site, register and click on the Live Map icon for a detailed raster chart that works well for planning. You can create complex paths and convert them to routes which you can save and download to your nav app. Then when you are on your boat use one of the nav apps or AC Companion to access the database. Fuel prices are on the main AC website home page as well as a listing of app vendors who support the AC database.

I may have misrepresented the AC Companion somewhat as I don't use it, but the web site and nav app info shoud be correct. Jeff will correct me if necessary.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
MX Mariner is what I put on my phone. You download the charts you need and it shows the Active Captain information about marinas, anchorages, etc.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
MX Mariner is what I put on my phone. You download the charts you need and it shows the Active Captain information about marinas, anchorages, etc.
MX Mariner is an Android app.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thank you both very much. I can't believe how much I'm behind on all this computer stuff. When I stopped boating about 15 years ago I had a GPS receiver & charts & thought I was Capt. America!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #8
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
...a phone app that informed where you could find out about marinas, fuel prices etc while cruising along...
I'd be interested in something that could give you just that - information about marinas and fuel prices, sorted or searched to display only the information desired along a route.

Apologies in advance to those who've heard me complain about it before, but I don't really like having to click or tap on each of dozens of markers, then go through a bunch of tabs and menus on each one, to get the info I need. Especially when most of them don't have what I'm looking for (fuel price, slip price, mooring price, or whatever.) This is the 21st century. Computers are supposed to do that kind of work for us!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'd be interested in something that could give you just that - information about marinas and fuel prices, sorted or searched to display only the information desired along a route.

Apologies in advance to those who've heard me complain about it before, but I don't really like having to click or tap on each of dozens of markers, then go through a bunch of tabs and menus on each one, to get the info I need. Especially when most of them don't have what I'm looking for (fuel price, slip price, mooring price, or whatever.) This is the 21st century. Computers are supposed to do that kind of work for us!
Have you tried the Waterway Guide site?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks psneeld. I went to waterwayguide.com. That is great. I played with it a bit & love it. It did ok on my smartphone. It even gives you distances & headings. Fantastic. Now I have to find way on Web to line me up someone to make trip with me from Milwaukee to Detroit.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #11
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Have you tried the Waterway Guide site?
Not in a while. The web site is well laid out. I'll load the app now that you mention it. My issues with them are the same issues I have with their printed materials (which I use, by the way.)

They seem to focus on businesses, particularly those who pay to advertise. The best fuel stop in our area, run by the state, is not even listed.

Very short on details. There are no fuel or slip prices listed anywhere in our area.

No way to differentiate between facilities, except to read the ads for those who pay for them.

No unbiased reviews. No real qualitative information at all.

Limited number of anchorages, and very little information about them.

I understand, they are a business. They put out pretty good products I have no problem buying and using them. I just wish there were one source where I could quickly glean only the information I'm looking for at that moment.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote