Old 05-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
Guru

American Tug 395...new build!

Well, we have done it now...
We have a deposit on a new, yet to be built, American Tug 395!
We're trying to decide on options, colors, electronics, modifications...everything that will ultimately have impact on our next boat. It is all very exciting!
We are planning on taking delivery at the factory for a shakedown cruise next spring. Then the boat will be shipped back to our home waters for cruising on the east coast.
There are a multitude of details to sort through in the next months and we should be busy! I would like to continue to ask questions here as I find the conversations "enlightening". I'm not looking for a consensus as much as a clear definition of the playing field and I am finding this site helpful on that level. I love the face that there are such diverse backgrounds to query. This is a very helpful resource.

We will have a web site where we document the process much the way we did 11 years ago when we built our last boat. This is an incredibly interesting process and we like sharing" the experience... We haven't decided which url we will use for our site but I will post it here when it goes live in the next month or so. Our old site (remember this site was created with what is now 11 year old technology...it is ancient!) is

http://www.esmeralde.net

This may be the url going forward in the form of a new site or we may use another one...

It's going to be an exciting year!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats and have fun with it, getting just the way you want it, well until the day you take it and think of something you wish you'd done differently.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #3
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
How exciting! Congratulations!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Sincere congrats. I've spent some time going over the 395 and it's pretty hard to beat the combo it offers IMO. It surely would be on my short list of new builds if I ever did it. Enjoy the process.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Congratulations! So many choices to make.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:50 AM   #6

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Congrats and we'll appreciate it if you can take us along for the ride!
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Congrats and we'll appreciate it if you can take us along for the ride!
We will do our best! I can't promise the detail of John's posts (N4061) but we will do our best to make the web site interesting to follow. Of course I will continue to post here also.

We have begun compiling a list of items we want to add/modify on our boat and although it is a lengthy list most items are simple color/material type changes or things like requesting that certain space be reserved in the dash for our use...

We will spec the Vitrifrigo refrigerator and we have some thoughts about the second stateroom and the main salon settee and table but our thoughts are on the simple side.

On systems installation, I will have lots of questions! Having spent much of my life maintaining machinery, I have a lot of thoughts. Thankfully, Tomco does some fine work on this level so mostly, I simply want to understand how things are being done.

The people at East Coast Yacht Sales have a 395 stock boat that they are giving us access to whenever we ask so we can spend some time poking around and just discovering things about the boat. It's interesting how many questions can be answered by just looking at the boat and usually, the factory has already figured out the question and the answer that works the best!

THis will be fun!

Bruce
Old 05-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #8
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
How exciting! Congratulations!
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post

The people at East Coast Yacht Sales have a 395 stock boat that they are giving us access to whenever we ask so we can spend some time poking around and just discovering things about the boat. It's interesting how many questions can be answered by just looking at the boat and usually, the factory has already figured out the question and the answer that works the best!

THis will be fun!

Bruce
That helps tremendously. Before we did a new build, we'd been on the same model many times, including weeks of charter. It's a lot easier for me to figure out if I have an existing boat to relate it too. Far easier to walk through and say, "I like this. I'd do this a little differently" than just starting with paper and trying to visualize it all.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #10

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Bruce, even though you are remote, AT Steve S is quite good at taking pictures. I presume he'd be happy to pass along some pics to you fairly frequently that you could share. Their setup makes it pretty straightforward to take pics.
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Congrats Bruce. Very nice boat. There is an AT 37? a few slips down from us where we are hiding from the wind. Great looking boat. BTW, he doesn't have full rails and they would simple get in the way.)

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #12
Guru

Thanks Dave.
We have decided against the rails. I'm sure we will move through the cabin 99% of the time but there are great handholds when you need to move forward outside.
The 395 has 3 ports and 2 main salon windows. The 34/365 has a mono side window on the main salon and 2 ports. I don't believe they ever called the 395 a 37???
Bruce
Old 05-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
They build these about a half mile from my moorage spot. I will see it someday maybe. They often run a batch out on to the docks for viewing.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:17 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
They build these about a half mile from my moorage spot. I will see it someday maybe. They often run a batch out on to the docks for viewing.
We will get to see your area next spring then!
We'll keep an eye out for you
Bruce
Old 05-31-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
Guru

City: LI or Fla
All the best with your new build!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:19 AM   #16
Guru

Thanks, it is pretty exciting!
Bruce