American Tug 395, hull #12...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Food for thought : I have little interest in seeing how someone's pickup truck was put together, but find the construction of a trawler, whether glass, steel or wood, fascinating! While the trawler is obviously more complex, I think it's the difference between assembly line work and craftsmanship.

Ted

I've had fun asking for opinions about gear choices and options to select for our new American Tug here on Trawler Forum, I've learned a lot too!
As a follow up, I thought I'd post some of our decisions.

• Side rails, although people made compelling arguments for a side rail extending back all the way to the cockpit, we elected to forgo that option as the width of the side deck aft of the pilothouse door makes the rails more of a hinderance than a help.
  • We chose to go with the dinghy crane option instead of davits as we would like the swim platform clear.
  • I know that some people will be aghast but we eliminated the microwave and chose to upgrade the fridge to a Vitrifrigo DW-250. There are lots of places a microwave might live for a future owner, we don't use one…
  • We elected to stay with the Sapele interior as built. It is a dark wood that is not my favorite but I will slowly begin varnishing the trim with a gloss finish after delivery. The wood really pops with varnish and I believe it will be nice. The sole will be gloss finished Sapele/maple hardwood that is something like 5/8" thick, no plywood here!
  • We will have a main salon table that is mounted on a moveable base. It will have 2 leaves that fold up so that when folded the table top is 2’ by 2’ and when unfolded we will have a 6’ by 2’ table.
  • We have decided to use Furuno electronics on the boat. The only item not Furuno will be the VHF and for that We have chosen a Garmin “black-box” type. 2 NavNet TZT 14 displays for the pilothouse and a 9’ for the flybridge. A simple fish finder, full AIS, doppler radar, wind, depth and speed sensors and a Furuno pilot.
  • In the end, we decided to equip the boat with the 480 hp version of the Cummins QSB. With the addition of the flybridge and the T-top/Bimini we felt that the extra hp would come in handy on those times when we want to push. We have had the pleasure of riding on a 380 hp sister ship for about 100 miles now much of it at speeds greater than 14 knots and while I agree that this mode will not be the normal mode of transportation, it certainly is nice to be able to push it when the desire strikes. We will have a Veem 5 blade propeller.
  • Finally, we both decided that although I really love red, we will keep the red limited to the settee. We chose the UltraLeather color “Arctic” for the pilothouse seating.

I really appreciate all of the responses to my questions here on the forum, even those that seemingly “ruffled my feathers”.
This has been a lot of fun!
Bruce

It's been a lot of fun tagging along on your build Bruce. Some of the best advice I get ruffles my feathers a bit. Even if I do not take it it does force me to think deeply about my choices. Deep thinking is far cheaper than reworking after the fact.

Good luck with your completion and don't forget a WOT video of sea trials.

Greetings,
Re: Post #123. I agree, now you need the t-shirt...

giphy.gif

Bruce,

Thanks for sharing...keep it up!

We would enjoy meeting you and seeing your new boat when the time comes. La Connor is just a couple of hours by car or boat for us.

If you haven't already, I recommend a Wagonners Cruising Guide to give you a taste of what is ahead. You can download a copy free if you wish. We like the spiral-bound version as it lays flat on my navigation (ok...everything) table.

If I can be of any assistance please reach out.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I downloaded the free copy of Wagonners a couple of months ago and have gradually been making my way through it. Although we have extensive cruising experience (by sail), we've never been to the PNW so it's all new. I'm thinking of starting a thread here that goes something like: "If you had the month of April to shake down a trawler, where would you go? What are your favorite spots? What's on your "don't miss this!" list? Where's your favorite food? How far north would you plan to go? How far south? etc. I'll get that started shortly in a new thread.

Hi Jeff, I downloaded the free copy of Wagonners a couple of months ago and have gradually been making my way through it. Although we have extensive cruising experience (by sail), we've never been to the PNW so it's all new. I'm thinking of starting a thread here that goes something like: "If you had the month of April to shake down a trawler, where would you go? What are your favorite spots? What's on your "don't miss this!" list? Where's your favorite food? How far north would you plan to go? How far south? etc. I'll get that started shortly in a new thread.

Wifey B: Is April as much as you can get? Not possible to maybe shakedown in the PNW in April, then to Alaska for June and July? :)

Oh, and no microwave.:nonono::nonono::nonono: :rofl:

Wifey B: Is April as much as you can get? Not possible to maybe shakedown in the PNW in April, then to Alaska for June and July? :)

Oh, and no microwave.:nonono::nonono::nonono: :rofl:

Sigh...the microwave again!
We can and may come back to do Alaska. It is complicated but we have decided to make that decision after we take delivery of the boat. Our cruising in New England is pretty nice too and we are feeling deprived after this past season!
We will see...
Bruce

Sigh...the microwave again!
We can and may come back to do Alaska. It is complicated but we have decided to make that decision after we take delivery of the boat. Our cruising in New England is pretty nice too and we are feeling deprived after this past season!
We will see...
Bruce

Wifey B: I couldn't resist. You reminded me of it in your post. Yes, New England will be beautiful. Guess it is whether Alaska in on your bucket list or any list of must see since you'll be there and may never make it back. Honestly, I wasn't all that excited about Alaska as too cold for bikini's. However, as we started planning the trip and as we did it, I did get excited. :dance::dance::dance:

Whatever you do, it's all "win-win."

Wifey B: I couldn't resist. You reminded me of it in your post. Yes, New England will be beautiful. Guess it is whether Alaska in on your bucket list or any list of must see since you'll be there and may never make it back. Honestly, I wasn't all that excited about Alaska as too cold for bikini's. However, as we started planning the trip and as we did it, I did get excited. :dance::dance::dance:

Whatever you do, it's all "win-win."

Well now,
I am sure no one wants to see me in a Bikini! Cold is bad for a guy...

As for Alaska, We both would love to see that!!!:angel::angel:

Hopefully we will back in time to meet up with you.

I would suggest Sidney or Victoria, BC, Port Townsend via Deception Pass, Friday or Roche Harbor and Stuart Island.

Great job, enjoy your time.

I read that you selected in the 480hp cummins, it is a good choice.

I would like to tell you from my own NT behavior even though they are in different boats AT. High waves +3m go back while driving 15 knots, drive wave dovn boat go surfing about 20 knots and it can be dangerous, the boat could be cut with a wave(broaches) and boat turn wave and Fast swing and stability It is gone in a moment.

Help, when I decrease the gas, and to get the momentum to rise too high, the more the wave of gas rises up again. This is certainly due to the fact that the boat is designed SD hull does not increase the speed of the planig hull, hull will start planig and stability. A lot of possible AT last for more speed, and this problem only assures It is big wave go back.

Sorry my bad english...

Again,
Not much happening now as we wait for the engine, we did however get a GoPro picture of the hull today!
Yea!
Bruce

Attachments

• 379b7a735106bf402849d8f55c030d61ecc80c27.jpg
    379b7a735106bf402849d8f55c030d61ecc80c27.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 242
Well, it appears that our engine has been delivered!
Next it gets installed. Very exciting stuff!
Bruce

Attachments

• 80d6d1fb303e3c283b0c32ee976c85d38d63fb07.jpg
    80d6d1fb303e3c283b0c32ee976c85d38d63fb07.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 126
Regarding the "shake down" aspect of your April use of the boat in the PNW my advise don't go too far from sources of repair and correction of little and big problems that can pop up on a new craft. The idea of fueling up and heading to Alaska is best put on hold until you put a few hundred hours on the boat underway and weeks on the hook or dock living aboard. My advise is for the prudent skipper and yes I know some people think stepping on a boat calls for throwing caution overboard. Considering the type of boat being built I assume a prudent skipper.

Well, it appears that our engine has been delivered!
Next it gets installed. Very exciting stuff!
Bruce

Very nice. What are you doing for fuel filtration? That may be as important as your choice of engine. If you have not read Toni Athen's articles on the subject go to Boat Diesel forum or directly to Seaboard Marine site and Toni's tips.

Very nice. What are you doing for fuel filtration? That may be as important as your choice of engine. If you have not read Toni Athen's articles on the subject go to Boat Diesel forum or directly to Seaboard Marine site and Toni's tips.

Here is a picture of the fuel filter system installed on a sister ship.
The fuel supply points are at the bottom of the tanks.
I will have to re-read Tony's paper on filtration. There is a lot of information on that site!
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 85
Cummins white as snow, be sure to keep him in the same way at all times.:peace:

Great to hear everything smooth, yeah you started to plan next year's upcoming adventures?

Greetings.
Mr. BrB. Nice fuel set up but one thing that comes to my mind is the use of, what appears to be, a soft material behind the filter mounting plate. It's probably some sort of sound deadener which, of course, is necessary but it will be very hard to keep clean and unpunctured. Great for the first while but one slip of the wrench or poke with a sharp object and the integrity of the surface will be compromised and a cavity for dirt/soot accumulation will result. Also very difficult to mount any additional equipment one may want to install. Any chance of covering it with a more resilient material? I'm thinking that aluminum plate stuff with all the holes.

Cummins white as snow, be sure to keep him in the same way at all times.:peace:

Great to hear everything smooth, yeah you started to plan next year's upcoming adventures?

We are trying to keep cruising options open until we take delivery. We will use the boat in the Pacific North West for a bit and then decide if we simply want the boat back home or if we want to return and do more cruising in that area.
We will see!
Bruce

Here is a picture of the fuel filter system installed on a sister ship.
The fuel supply points are at the bottom of the tanks.
I will have to re-read Tony's paper on filtration. There is a lot of information on that site!
Bruce
My comment about the filtration SX shown. It lacks vac. gauges with captive needles and a closed loop OB bulb pump would greatly simplify filter changes. The vac. gauges would warn you of trouble before it becomes critical. If you look close at picture you will see two spin on filters with vac. gages and captive needles the first filter is a mud or high capacity unit. Each engine has two more filters on the engines. Look close and you will see the closed loop OB pump systems with their stopcocks interrupting the fuel line before the filters. This is pretty much a Toni Athens Seaboard Marine setup.

Attachments

• fuel filters 2.jpg
    fuel filters 2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 102
My comment about the filtration SX shown. It lacks vac. gauges with captive needles and a closed loop OB bulb pump would greatly simplify filter changes. The vac. gauges would warn you of trouble before it becomes critical. If you look close at picture you will see two spin on filters with vac. gages and captive needles the first filter is a mud or high capacity unit. Each engine has two more filters on the engines. Look close and you will see the closed loop OB pump systems with their stopcocks interrupting the fuel line before the filters. This is pretty much a Toni Athens Seaboard Marine setup.

The AT setup is very similar to mine (other than he has a better genset filter). Hidden behind the filter selection valve is a vacuum gauge.

This is a pretty standard setup and is based on Cummins recommendations. I think this is perfectly adequate for operation in an area with good fuel sources. Sure, you could go with an additional filter as Tony would recommend, but I don't think it is necessary.

I do agree with that some type of pump to fill the filters after a change would be nice. I don't have that on my system and it is one of the many little things that I would like to do at some point.

Engine, generator and water maker are in the hull!
The floors will be installed next and the 3/8" thick solid Sapele flooring laid out.
We are not far from the joining of hull and deck!!!
It is all moving along nicely now, I'm beginning to get excited...
The picture of the Sapele sole is a sister ship, I love the look of the solid, no maple sole.
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 4d281e7afe78f3c1382ef2982da620330e384dfd.jpg
    4d281e7afe78f3c1382ef2982da620330e384dfd.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 7403a90443f437da7f3651e52d745b2d762ba861.jpg
    7403a90443f437da7f3651e52d745b2d762ba861.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 3cb4a60909ce5907ccd73942f905e677a36a8df8.jpg
    3cb4a60909ce5907ccd73942f905e677a36a8df8.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 112
I've had fun asking for opinions about gear choices and options to select for our new American Tug here on Trawler Forum, I've learned a lot too!
As a follow up, I thought I'd post some of our decisions.

• Side rails, although people made compelling arguments for a side rail extending back all the way to the cockpit, we elected to forgo that option as the width of the side deck aft of the pilothouse door makes the rails more of a hinderance than a help. ..

• A major reason for me choosing the Coot over the NT was strong, 360-degree railings and wide 360-degree decks. (Yes, we all must compromise.)

A major reason for me choosing the Coot over the NT was strong, 360-degree railings and wide 360-degree decks. (Yes, we all must compromise.)

Coot is a very interesting boat...I get it!
There are lots of boats that I find interesting and I'm sure that I could rationalize any of them. I'm pretty good at rationalization...
Bruce

Lookin' really good Bruce. You have to be crazy-excited.

Why do they call these boats "expedition trawlers"?

Back
Top Bottom