Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #61
Veteran Member
 
Bruce B Wifey D's Avatar
 
City: Newport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Esmeralde
Vessel Model: Sabre 386 (soon to be an AT 395 FB)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 32
Bruce will bean me for this, but I can't help myself. This week we said good-bye to our current boat, a Sabre 386. I always have a difficult time 'moving on', whether it's a car, a boat or a house, but this one was especially tough since we're not just moving to another boat, but from sail to power. I will love the new boat. We have great times ahead of us, new adventures, new places, new experiences. I will recover, but I'm going to miss this boat, and most of all I will miss sailing.

[Edit to add that I was posting this while Bruce was, apparently, posting the previous post.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7U1327.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	57162  
__________________
Advertisement

Bruce B Wifey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #62
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Progress is slow these days. I believe they are scurrying to get a couple of boats ready for launching and that the crew is mostly allocated to that task...
There has been progress though. These are stringers getting laminated into our hull.
Bruce
Bruce are those stringers wood? Douglas Fir I suspect if they are.
__________________

__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #63
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Bruce are those stringers wood? Douglas Fir I suspect if they are.
I don't believe they are wood. I remember asking and all I remember is that the stringer core changes throughout the boat depending on what is on top of them. In the engine compartment I think they use a high density composit but I can't remember what they use elsewhere.
I'll ask and report back next week.
Bruce
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #64
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B Wifey D View Post
Bruce will bean me for this, but I can't help myself. This week we said good-bye to our current boat, a Sabre 386. I always have a difficult time 'moving on', whether it's a car, a boat or a house, but this one was especially tough since we're not just moving to another boat, but from sail to power. I will love the new boat. We have great times ahead of us, new adventures, new places, new experiences. I will recover, but I'm going to miss this boat, and most of all I will miss sailing.

[Edit to add that I was posting this while Bruce was, apparently, posting the previous post.]
Wifey B: I think moving on has all the emotions from sadness to excitement and exhilaration. Our lives after changes are incredible but that doesn't mean they weren't very very good before. I think part of living life to it's fullest is always having fresh and new things in our lives, always moving forward, not just staying exactly the same. There's that sense of adventure. It may not always seem spectacular, but it's adding something more to all that has come before.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #65
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 507
And we have a deck!
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	57165  
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:22 AM   #66
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 507
A forward cabin sole and some bulkheads are taking shape...
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	57166  
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 329
very cool,congrats!
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #68
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I think moving on has all the emotions from sadness to excitement and exhilaration. Our lives after changes are incredible but that doesn't mean they weren't very very good before. I think part of living life to it's fullest is always having fresh and new things in our lives, always moving forward, not just staying exactly the same. There's that sense of adventure. It may not always seem spectacular, but it's adding something more to all that has come before.
Dorsey understands this. We have certainly been here before with boats.
I like to remind her that with each boat that enters our life she makes "an announcement", it is typically along the lines of, "while I understand why we are making the switch, the 'new boat' will never be a replacement for the 'old boat'...".
She then proceeds to bond with the 'new boat' and complains when we (I) decide that it is time to move on.

As she says, she will love the American Tug. What is different this time is that we are moving from sailing. This has her "edgy"...

We are both excited about the new adventures the tug will allow us. It will be a blast!

Bruce
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:19 AM   #69
Veteran Member
 
North Baltic sea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 67
A new baby is born the part and parts ... ask them to shoot as far as possible, all of which will be left behind structures, such as pipes, electricity ect. Later, they can be of great use to you or to the next owner. I was glad when the Nordic Tug was photographed in the process to build a boat. I can look at the technical details, I've found the images more storage opportunities that I did not know.


When he will be ready for you?
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:13 AM   #70
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
A new baby is born the part and parts ... ask them to shoot as far as possible, all of which will be left behind structures, such as pipes, electricity ect. Later, they can be of great use to you or to the next owner. I was glad when the Nordic Tug was photographed in the process to build a boat. I can look at the technical details, I've found the images more storage opportunities that I did not know.


When he will be ready for you?
Last I heard, it should be finished in March and ready for delivery in April. We will see how close they get to that target in the end.

We've had numerous conversations with Tomco about our desire to record the boats construction with photos. They promise that there will be plenty. We had the same goal for our last boat 11 years ago and there are times when those pictures have been very helpful in trying to determine the way something was put together..
Not to mention the fun in seeing it all come together!
Thanks,
Bruce
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #71
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 507
More progress...
This is beginning to feel real!
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	57281  
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #72
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,684
Oh boy, it's getting real now. Excited for you Bruce.
__________________
Craig - AKA Some Clueless Idiot

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #73
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
More progress...
This is beginning to feel real!
Bruce
Wifey B: The dudes in the photo sort of puts it in perspective, especially the one standing. They look like mini-men running around in there.

Reminds me of trying to do the simplified tonnage calculation. You never think about how deep the boat is normally. Everyone knows length and beam, but how many know the depth?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #74
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: The dudes in the photo sort of puts it in perspective, especially the one standing. They look like mini-men running around in there.

Reminds me of trying to do the simplified tonnage calculation. You never think about how deep the boat is normally. Everyone knows length and beam, but how many know the depth?
I never seem to be able to correctly assess a space before it is finished. I remember seeing our home staked out on the site and thinking that it was way too small. I thought that there wouldn't be enough space for furniture in some rooms. It all can be quite deceptive.
Bruce
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #75
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 507
Aaaaand....we have a hull!
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Popping Hull 5.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	57602  
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #76
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,080
Greetings,
Mr. BB. Helluva hull!
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:16 PM   #77
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,060
Ooooooo I like the color!
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #78
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Ooooooo I like the color!
We've done the dark hull thing before...beautiful in Awlgrip but expensive and HOT! We didn't think this design would look great in white and we each promised the other that we'd not have a dark hull again.
First saw this color on a Shelter Island runabout and knew we'd have it on a boat someday...
Someday is here!
Thanks,
Bruce
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:25 PM   #79
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 507
Coming out of the mold...
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	57606  
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #80
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 507
Nice white bilges...
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	57608  
__________________

__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012