Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member
 
Bruce B Wifey D's Avatar
 
City: Newport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Esmeralde
Vessel Model: Sabre 386 (soon to be an AT 395 FB)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 34
On another topic of building a new boat...

When we built our current boat, we lived only a few hours away here on the East Coast so we popped in every few weeks to monitor progress and document the build with pictures.

This time, we live in New England and the boat is being built at Tomco in Washington state. We really want to a) get photos of the build on a regular basis so we can monitor the progress, and b) have photos to develop a storyline of the boat as she develops, for both the historical and personal record. I'm certain the factory will send us basic pics of the build, but we'd kind of like to pay someone -- a photographer with an eye for the story -- to pop in to the factory at regular intervals during the build process as sort of a photojournalistic approach. We want the basic boat, but we also want some details, we want key moments, and we want the people who are building her.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to accomplish this from afar? Obviously whatever we do will need Tomco's blessing, but just tossing it out there for now...

Thanks for any suggestions!
__________________
Advertisement

Bruce B Wifey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #22
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9,175
My overseas builder must have sent over a hundred photos of the boat's construction. Perhaps, your builder will be as cooperative.

__________________

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #23
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B Wifey D View Post
On another topic of building a new boat...

When we built our current boat, we lived only a few hours away here on the East Coast so we popped in every few weeks to monitor progress and document the build with pictures.

This time, we live in New England and the boat is being built at Tomco in Washington state. We really want to a) get photos of the build on a regular basis so we can monitor the progress, and b) have photos to develop a storyline of the boat as she develops, for both the historical and personal record. I'm certain the factory will send us basic pics of the build, but we'd kind of like to pay someone -- a photographer with an eye for the story -- to pop in to the factory at regular intervals during the build process as sort of a photojournalistic approach. We want the basic boat, but we also want some details, we want key moments, and we want the people who are building her.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to accomplish this from afar? Obviously whatever we do will need Tomco's blessing, but just tossing it out there for now...

Thanks for any suggestions!
Photos are a start. When we built on an opposite coast we had a surveyor from the area going periodically. However, here is my suggestion. Go. Don't let distance stand in your way. I don't know how often you went last time, but if you go four times during the build, it will be worth it. If you can't go that often, go however often you can. You'll strengthen relationships, not just with those who sell but actually meeting some of the workers. Take them a treat perhaps, like an afternoon ice cream party or just free soft drinks out of the machines for the day. I can assure you it's an easier trip from the NE than from Fort Lauderdale. Only say good things when you're walking around, hold the bad ones for inside in the office. I think they'll be flattered you think enough to make the trip. Have you seen their facility? Photos are better when they're memories of what you actually saw, when you can put the stories to them, your thoughts at the time. I think the workers are happy for the chance to meet the couple they're building for. I don't know how much time you've spent in the PNW, but you'll get an additional feel for the area and the people. If you can drive from Newport to Raymond, Maine, then what's a little flight to Seattle.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #24
Veteran Member
 
Bruce B Wifey D's Avatar
 
City: Newport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Esmeralde
Vessel Model: Sabre 386 (soon to be an AT 395 FB)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Photos are a start. When we built on an opposite coast we had a surveyor from the area going periodically. However, here is my suggestion. Go. Don't let distance stand in your way. I don't know how often you went last time, but if you go four times during the build, it will be worth it. If you can't go that often, go however often you can. You'll strengthen relationships, not just with those who sell but actually meeting some of the workers. Take them a treat perhaps, like an afternoon ice cream party or just free soft drinks out of the machines for the day. I can assure you it's an easier trip from the NE than from Fort Lauderdale. Only say good things when you're walking around, hold the bad ones for inside in the office. I think they'll be flattered you think enough to make the trip. Have you seen their facility? Photos are better when they're memories of what you actually saw, when you can put the stories to them, your thoughts at the time. I think the workers are happy for the chance to meet the couple they're building for. I don't know how much time you've spent in the PNW, but you'll get an additional feel for the area and the people. If you can drive from Newport to Raymond, Maine, then what's a little flight to Seattle.
Raymond, Maine. You don't miss a thing!

I completely agree with everything you said. We used to take batches of cookies and other goodies with us on our trips to see the current boat, and our visits really did have an impact on the men and women in the trenches. We also set up a web site up to document the process, and the workers were thrilled. We learned they checked into it daily. (You can still see it here - with apologies for the horrible old and broken technology. http://www.esmeralde.net/Construction.htm) I did a silly video of the whole process, and a VP asked me to send a copy so he could show it on a big screen at the monthly employee meeting. We loved that part of the last project. Being so much a part of the build process was a big part of our experience with the boat. A year after we took delivery we sailed her in her first Newport-Bermuda Race, and everyone at the factory who participated in our boat sent us a good luck card. What a warm happy surprise that was. And if we hadn't visited the factory, we would never have known that this little gem is permanently buried in the fiberglass at the bow. So we might yet make that (those) trip(s)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	55701  
Bruce B Wifey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #25
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Photos are a start. When we built on an opposite coast we had a surveyor from the area going periodically. However, here is my suggestion. Go. Don't let distance stand in your way. I don't know how often you went last time, but if you go four times during the build, it will be worth it. If you can't go that often, go however often you can. You'll strengthen relationships, not just with those who sell but actually meeting some of the workers. Take them a treat perhaps, like an afternoon ice cream party or just free soft drinks out of the machines for the day. I can assure you it's an easier trip from the NE than from Fort Lauderdale. Only say good things when you're walking around, hold the bad ones for inside in the office. I think they'll be flattered you think enough to make the trip. Have you seen their facility? Photos are better when they're memories of what you actually saw, when you can put the stories to them, your thoughts at the time. I think the workers are happy for the chance to meet the couple they're building for. I don't know how much time you've spent in the PNW, but you'll get an additional feel for the area and the people. If you can drive from Newport to Raymond, Maine, then what's a little flight to Seattle.
Of course you are correct. We should head out a few times anyway. The issue for me is my dislike of flying. It isn't as though I won't fly but I sure dislike the idea!
Having spent my career maintaing mechanical things, I have a vivid understanding of the possibilities and for whatever reason I dwell on them before the flight. This always seems to be the time cable tv chooses to air those documentaries about why flights crashed too...

So, I sit at home considering what might go wrong making myself miserable until It's time to go. Then I board the plane and I get caught up in the mood and enjoy the flight.

Of course the real victim here is my wife! She has to live with me during the days before the flight...poor girl!

Bruce
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #26
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,601
You know the answer now, just don't know how to do it. You want to make trips there to enjoy the aspect you did so much last time. So, you're going to find a way to do it. That does mean dealing with your dislike for flying. I don't like flying but my reasons are different. I do it only because it's necessary. I did so much in my working days. Think of it as something you're going to see that you absolutely wouldn't miss for any price. Something like a daughter giving birth to your first grandchild or the wedding of your son. And, if that doesn't seem to help, I'd suggest perhaps trying hypnosis. Not the stage type that turns you into a chicken, but the type that helps you with your thoughts regarding flying, replaces the bad thoughts with good. The type athletes get to help themselves deal with negative thoughts interfering with their ability to perform their best. It could help you remove one thought from your pre-flight time and replace it with another. Might be as simple as removing the thought of all that can happen and replacing it with the thought of the boat factory.

I have a fear of heights but my wife wanted me to do the Zip Line in Catalina a couple of years ago. I used some self hypnosis and had various thoughts of doing it and even the rewards at the end. I still wondered if I'd have nerve to open my eyes. However, I did it. Didn't change my fear of heights but next time we were thinking of doing one I was able to think back to how beautiful things were from the line and what I would see.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #27
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,086
We moor on K float behind the American Tug facility in LaConnor WA and there is always 5 or 6 ATs on a long float. Seen every hull color but white .. the obvious best color for a pleasure boat. The colors are all sort of odd. There's a blue-grey that I kinda like. I like yellow but not the AT yellow (it's a rather light washed out yellow) and most of the other colors are .. shall we say "unusual". Perhaps the're all very nice and I have bad taste. But if I was faced w choosing one of those colors for my boat it would be a very hard decision.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #28
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Thank you! I will call him and see what he says.

Appreciate the tip!

Bruce

FWIW, I have heard good things about Matt Harris although I have never used him.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #29
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,027
I can't even imagine how excited y'all must be. Good luck and congratulations.

PS...I saw that you mentioned stereo so it must be important to you. I am happy with a Fusion head unit and JL Audio everything downstream of that...amp...sub and speakers. JL is pricey stuff but cannot be beat if you like good sound.
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #30
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I can't even imagine how excited y'all must be. Good luck and congratulations.

PS...I saw that you mentioned stereo so it must be important to you. I am happy with a Fusion head unit and JL Audio everything downstream of that...amp...sub and speakers. JL is pricey stuff but cannot be beat if you like good sound.
It is pretty exciting!

As for stereo, yes I am a little on the fussy side. The Fusion/JL audio system you refer to is high on my list for the boat. On our last sailboat I used a McIntosh Labs 12v head unit, one of their 12 amplifiers and some B&W speakers for the main cabin with JL Audio speakers in the cockpit. It was delightful! No longer in production though so this time we will go the Fusion route.
Glad to learn that you like your setup!
Bruce
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #31
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I can't even imagine how excited y'all must be. Good luck and congratulations.

PS...I saw that you mentioned stereo so it must be important to you. I am happy with a Fusion head unit and JL Audio everything downstream of that...amp...sub and speakers. JL is pricey stuff but cannot be beat if you like good sound.
Ditto On the JL Audio/ Fusion I run both those setups in multiple boats and love them.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #32
Veteran Member
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: REEL INN
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Commander 36 Tournament Fisherman
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
It is pretty exciting!

As for stereo, yes I am a little on the fussy side. The Fusion/JL audio system you refer to is high on my list for the boat. On our last sailboat I used a McIntosh Labs 12v head unit, one of their 12 amplifiers and some B&W speakers for the main cabin with JL Audio speakers in the cockpit. It was delightful! No longer in production though so this time we will go the Fusion route.
Glad to learn that you like your setup!
Bruce
Don't pussyfoot around...go for tubes and horns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_809.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	55723  
pacopico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #33
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacopico View Post
Don't pussyfoot around...go for tubes and horns.
That is awesome!
I'm guessing that this would be stretching the "wife comfort zone" just a bit though...
Bruce
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #34
Veteran Member
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: REEL INN
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Commander 36 Tournament Fisherman
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
That is awesome!
I'm guessing that this would be stretching the "wife comfort zone" just a bit though...
Bruce
Just think of the concert you could enjoy on the hook, beer in hand, feet up...

I understand the wife factor: I have a dedicated music room at home (no, that picture was not my setup), and 3" full range speakers on the boat with a tiny sub hidden in a cabinet...it's all a matter of real estate available.
pacopico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:43 PM   #35
Veteran Member
 
Bruce B Wifey D's Avatar
 
City: Newport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Esmeralde
Vessel Model: Sabre 386 (soon to be an AT 395 FB)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacopico View Post

I understand the wife factor:
Bruce B has a very amenable wife factor.
Bruce B Wifey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #36
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B Wifey D View Post
Bruce B has a very amenable wife factor.
She deserves the halo...
No question!
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #37
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,601
Wifey B: Our taste in music is calmer and more sedate, so we don't shake up the whole world. Funny, you'd think age wise I would want loud. We have nice systems but nothing over the top. Honestly, I know nothing about audio systems. On the boat we're on now, I have no idea if this is considered good or not. You can tell me. Won't hurt my feelings. This is cut and paste from the paperwork as I don't know enough to translate it. I did recognize you guys said Fusion and knew we had something that name. It sounds fine to me, but we don't turn it up and blast away, more into love songs and romantic and classics and soft.


Bose Lifestyle 535 5:1 Surround entertainment System with Pioneer Blu-ray player in the saloon. Cockpit zone performance audio upgrade with Four Sonance Extreme Speakers with Sonos Connect and amplifier. Flybridge zone performance audio upgrade with Four Sonance Extreme Speakers with Sonos Connect and amplifier and one Speakercraft Subwoofer. Fore deck zone performance audio upgrade with Two Bose removable Speakers with Sonos Connect amplifier. The zoning audio to be linked to the Saloon AV system via Sonos Connect with one iPad mini supplied for control of the zones through a Sonos App. Harmon Kardon Bluray/DVD/CD/Radio head unit with Stereo flush mount speakers and an Auxiliary HDMI socket linked to AV system for the Master cabin. Harmon Kardon Bluray/DVD/CD/Radio head unit with Stereo flush mount speakers and an Auxiliary HDMI socket linked to AV system for the Forward cabin. Fusion DVD/CD/Radio tuner linked to TV with stereo speakers with Bluetooth wireless connectivity for the starboard cabin Fusion DVD/CD/Radio tuner linked to TV with stereo speakers with Blutooth wireless connectivity for the port cabin.


Not like we designed it. It was just the package offered.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:55 PM   #38
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,502
Looks like a nice package. The important thing is that it works well for you, that is what matters.

I love music and like it to be reproduced well. However, as I've gotten older a couple of things have happened. The first is that I find I am less "picky", then second is that audio gear has gotten much better and the prices have dropped. I used to haunt the local audiophile stores, now most of those are gone and I find that I really don't miss it much.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #39
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Our taste in music is calmer and more sedate, so we don't shake up the whole world. Funny, you'd think age wise I would want loud. We have nice systems but nothing over the top. Honestly, I know nothing about audio systems. On the boat we're on now, I have no idea if this is considered good or not. You can tell me. Won't hurt my feelings. This is cut and paste from the paperwork as I don't know enough to translate it. I did recognize you guys said Fusion and knew we had something that name. It sounds fine to me, but we don't turn it up and blast away, more into love songs and romantic and classics and soft.


Bose Lifestyle 535 5:1 Surround entertainment System with Pioneer Blu-ray player in the saloon. Cockpit zone performance audio upgrade with Four Sonance Extreme Speakers with Sonos Connect and amplifier. Flybridge zone performance audio upgrade with Four Sonance Extreme Speakers with Sonos Connect and amplifier and one Speakercraft Subwoofer. Fore deck zone performance audio upgrade with Two Bose removable Speakers with Sonos Connect amplifier. The zoning audio to be linked to the Saloon AV system via Sonos Connect with one iPad mini supplied for control of the zones through a Sonos App. Harmon Kardon Bluray/DVD/CD/Radio head unit with Stereo flush mount speakers and an Auxiliary HDMI socket linked to AV system for the Master cabin. Harmon Kardon Bluray/DVD/CD/Radio head unit with Stereo flush mount speakers and an Auxiliary HDMI socket linked to AV system for the Forward cabin. Fusion DVD/CD/Radio tuner linked to TV with stereo speakers with Bluetooth wireless connectivity for the starboard cabin Fusion DVD/CD/Radio tuner linked to TV with stereo speakers with Blutooth wireless connectivity for the port cabin.


Not like we designed it. It was just the package offered.
That sounds like a pretty complete package with very nice components. The reality is that a boat is a terrible place for "high fidelity". I'm sure I'd be happy listening to your system. The issue for us with all of these systems is the amount of power they use. It is amazing how quickly the batteries drop when we rock out in our current boat.
What I like about the Fusion head unit I am considering is the fact that it has a simple almost Apple IOS style menu and that it has 4 separate audio outputs. We can have sound everywhere.
I'm sure I'd be happy with the Bose surround system if I wanted a 120 volt system. Bose does some interesting things with digital audio to compensate for variations in room design. That is something I will have to live without.
As nice as the McIntosh gear is in our current boat, I'd probably go with the Fusion gear anyway if I had the choice. If we had more ability to generate and store energy, I'd consider the Bose...
Bruce
__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #40
Guru
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
City: RI
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Looks like a nice package. The important thing is that it works well for you, that is what matters.

I love music and like it to be reproduced well. However, as I've gotten older a couple of things have happened. The first is that I find I am less "picky", then second is that audio gear has gotten much better and the prices have dropped. I used to haunt the local audiophile stores, now most of those are gone and I find that I really don't miss it much.
I believe that our hearing degenerates too... I've noticed that my wife and I each ask each other to repeat ourselves more often these days.
'What was that...?"
Bruce
__________________

__________________
American Tug 395, hull number 12, being built!
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012