American Tug 395, hull #12...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This will take a bit of thought.
I'll work on an answer later on tonight but for now let me say that we love the boat.
There are a few issues that need to be worked out but nothing that can't be addressed pretty easily.
Biggest omission is probably the lack of a diesel heating system as I really hate using reverse cycle a/c to heat the boat.
Not sure why they didn't want to add this at the factory, I will add a system as soon as we are home.
Love the way the boat handles choppy conditions, love the ability to scoot when you want, love the watermaker and love my Poppy interior...
That's the condensed version for now.
More later,
Bruce

Why do you hate using reverse cycle a/c?

Why do you hate using reverse cycle a/c?

Mostly for the following reasons:
1. You must be plugged in or running the generator. We like to be able to go through the night without the generator. The temperatures here in the PNW are cold enough that heat is nice so the generator must be on.
2. The Webasto system uses a simple temperature sensor that is located in the return air ductwork. As a result of the sensor location, the fans must be on all of the time. This is fine when you are trying to cool the boat but when heating, you have constant air movement of sometimes non heated air and it makes you cold.
A diesel furnace is a much nicer way to heat a boat!
Bruce

I am surprised they didn't want to add one. Many of the manufacturers will include diesel heat on their boats headed for the PNW and reverse cycle for CA or the East Coast.

Mostly for the following reasons:
1. You must be plugged in or running the generator. We like to be able to go through the night without the generator. The temperatures here in the PNW are cold enough that heat is nice so the generator must be on.
2. The Webasto system uses a simple temperature sensor that is located in the return air ductwork. As a result of the sensor location, the fans must be on all of the time. This is fine when you are trying to cool the boat but when heating, you have constant air movement of sometimes non heated air and it makes you cold.
A diesel furnace is a much nicer way to heat a boat!
Bruce

You mention the PNW but that's not where you're going to be. However, I do understand even colder conditions in the North East. I'm assuming you'll also do some colder weather cruising.

We're use to either being hooked up at a marina or running the generator, although for opposite climate primarily. We have cruised in cold conditions but then the nights were at marinas primarily.

I am surprised they didn't want to add one. Many of the manufacturers will include diesel heat on their boats headed for the PNW and reverse cycle for CA or the East Coast.

Me too but this is the second brand new boat I have heard of now where the owner had to install his own diesel heat. TwistedTree's N-60 being the other.

Better invest in a big buddy propane heater, to take the morning chill off without cranking the gen set.

Me too but this is the second brand new boat I have heard of now where the owner had to install his own diesel heat. TwistedTree's N-60 being the other.

Tomco certainly does install diesel heaters. It is an east coast west coast thing though. West coast boats tend to get diesel heat and no or minimal air conditioning. East coast boats get air conditioning and no diesel heater.
Lots of people have the heat installed after the fact. They simply did not want to do both at the factory.
My big decision will be Espar vs Webasto and furnace vs boiler.
Not sure what I'll do yet.
Bruce

I installed Espar hydronic after the fact and have been generally happy with it. I chose Espar based on friends' experiences but in retrospect I'd put in a Webasto......better parts and service in my area. I also carry a couple small 110 volt electric space heaters for backup and run them off the gen or shorepower. Many times I'll turn one of these on in the salon first thing in the morning to cut the chill.

We put in a webasto forced air system on the saiboats and it was great. Kinship came with a Webasto hydronic system and it has been wonderful.

We also have some 120v space heaters on the boat for when we are at the dock and don't want to burn the diesel fuel.

This is the last night of our Pacific Northwest shakedown cruise. Tomorrow we head back to LaConner, where our little Airstream is waiting patiently for us. We will take a few days to transition from the boat to the Airstream, and pack up the boat for shipping. The factory has a list of details to deal with, and they will manage readying her for trucking. She is scheduled to leave on her cross-country journey on May 15. We will leave ahead of her to be home well before her. The boat will take 10 days to get to Rhode Island. We expect to be on the road in the Airstream by the 7th, and will take about a week, + or -, to get home.

It has been quite an adventure so far, and it has only just begun. Here we are today at our last stop of the cruise, Langley on Whidbey Island, a nice little stopover.

*sniff*

Attachments

• IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 87
Fun watching the build/shakedown. Safe travels.

Mine was factory installed, but final commissioning was done here in the states, including fabrication of the exhaust. But I did the system design and provided the build plans, and Sure Marine kitted and supplied the parts.

The factory has a list of details to deal with, and they will manage readying her for trucking. She is scheduled to leave on her cross-country journey on May 15.

Obviously they'll need to remove the antennas, but what else will be removed to get her to shipping height?
BD

Bruce: where in RI do you keep your boat?

I don't have personal experience with this device, but I do like watching a warming fire. Might be something to consider for both your Airstream and your boat....

What a pretty boat..I love the hull color!

Obviously they'll need to remove the antennas, but what else will be removed to get her to shipping height?
BD

So,
The flybridge is removed, along with all of the rear upper deck railing. The antenna arch is removed too. As I understand it the boat goes on the truck in a bow down attitude. Tomco says it is no big deal...
Bruce

I don't have personal experience with this device, but I do like watching a warming fire. Might be something to consider for both your Airstream and your boat....

We had a propane bulkhead heater on a 32' sailboat once and we loved it!
People get all worked up about the moisture released by the burning of propane but that simply never effected us in any negative way.
This boat is far too large to rely on one of these though. I am thinking on a boiler/hydronic type at the moment...
Bruce

Star0210; said:
What a pretty boat..I love the hull color!
Start saving, Star. In a couple years when two footitis sets in, someone is going to get a nice boat. Might as well be you. Right?
:hide:

Start saving, Star. In a couple years when two footitis sets in, someone is going to get a nice boat. Might as well be you. Right?
:hide:

Just for the record...
We have between the tow of us owned 3 boats. Each boat was owned for an average of about 12 years.
We have as large a boat as we want, now or in the future.
40' is about our limit.
I'm going out on a limb here but we'd be more likely to want a different boat only if our intended use was to change.
Not likely from what we know now...
Of course, "one never knows..."
Bruce

PS Star0210, I have the color code if you ever want to paint something this color...

We had a Webasto hydronic and an Espar forced hot air. If we were to do it again, the hydronic would be our first choice.

While you're in the PNW, if you have the time, stop in at Sure Marine. They sell/service both forced hot air and hydronic systems. A pretty knowledable group.

Sure Marine Service: Webasto Heating, AC & Galley Equipment

The company who did our electronics has good things to say about Sure Marine.
Pretty certain this is our path to real heat!
Thanks,
Bruce

Sure Marine has been the go to place for heating in the PNW for quite a while. They are very helpful.

Sure Marine has been the go to place for heating in the PNW for quite a while. They are very helpful.

I've been in contact with Sure Marine.
They are very helpful! I'm meeting our electronics guy this morning to discuss the installation. I will do the job myself when I get home but he's done a bunch of these and his thoughts will be invaluable.
I'm pretty settled on a Webasto hydronic system, now it is simply a matter of planning and executing!
Bruce

I have had both espar diesel heaters (current) and Hydronic (my 58'). I love the speed at witch my diesel heaters work. But wish I had the hydronic unit back. My Espars seem to pump out way to hot air. I believe they bring a lot more cost to retro fit though. However you get Added benefit of hot water if you choose that options.

Webasto hydronic was my third choice. When I was looking at them they were very noisy at the exhaust. There is a lot to a top flight hydronic install. Have you priced out the installers in Seattle, Sidney and Anacortes?

Surprised the new build didn't go that way initially.

Webasto hydronic was my third choice. When I was looking at them they were very noisy at the exhaust. There is a lot to a top flight hydronic install. Have you priced out the installers in Seattle, Sidney and Anacortes?

Surprised the new build didn't go that way initially.

East coast boats do not get diesel heaters.
Such is life and I need something to do on the boat!
I will install the system myself.
This will keep me happy!
Bruce

East coast boats do not get diesel heaters.
Such is life and I need something to do on the boat!
I will install the system myself.
This will keep me happy!
Bruce

Wifey B: Dorsey's hubby is one sick man. :rofl: If I lived where you do, I'd want one too, but I sure wouldn't install it myself. I did install new batteries in the cable remote today. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom