Old 04-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
I don't talk to the whole boat so much, but I have a favorite engine and one less than favorite engine, who I speak to on a regular basis. The port engine is "sweetheart" or "baby" and the starboard I call simply "You Pos!"

Baby never fails, starts anytime you turn the key, doesn't leak fluids, never needs her valves adjusted, purr's like a kitten and always brings me home.

POS is hard starting, developes seeping oil leaks which come and go, needs a valve adjustment twice a year, will start to surge with the slightest obstruction in it's fuel filters, sucks junk into the strainers and gets cranky at the worst times.

Their serial numbers are 3 numbers apart, so I think must be a case of the bad child!! At one point I contemplated bring a priest down and having an exorcism!!
LB
That is funny! I call it the "cursed Port engine"
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Dear Ann:

The other day my boat asked me a question about my infidelity - we were looking at other boats. As I stammered out my reply about more bling, bigger tanks and a longer waterline I quickly realized I had been caught with my pants down. What should I do to bring peace to the family?
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egregious View Post
That is funny! I call it the "cursed Port engine"
True thing--- The then-proprietor of the very experienced diesel shop we use in Bellingham told me years ago that their records over many years of being in business show that in the twin engine boats they work on--- and it's a lot--- the port engines suffer more problems more frequently than the starboard engines. He had no explanation for this, only the numbers to show it's true.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
....I quickly realized I had been caught with my pants down. What should I do to bring peace to the family?
For starters pull your pants back up. That's a sight picture none of us need.

Then, since you apparently believe this "talk to your boat" stuff, tell your boat that if it doesn't shut the hell up and stop whining you're not only going to buy a different boat but you're going to donate your boat to one of those "donate your car/boat to charity" organizations where it will either be parted out and scrapped or sold for a dime on the dollar to some stoner who will convert it into a meth lab.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
True thing--- The then-proprietor of the very experienced diesel shop we use in Bellingham told me years ago that their records over many years of being in business show that in the twin engine boats they work on--- and it's a lot--- the port engines suffer more problems more frequently than the starboard engines. He had no explanation for this, only the numbers to show it's true.
I have an explanation:
the water pump, and other hard to get at stuff on the port engine is hard to get at. So they don't get serviced and they fail. Rebuilding the Port vs. Starboard side injection pumps would be less than 1/2 the price since the port side is so hard to get to.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I also have been known to hang onto the branch of a tree when I'm enjoying its fruit.....just in case it can feel my pleasure.
Nice.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #27
Scraping Paint

On our boat with its twin Lehmans it's the port engine that is way easy to service--- raw water pump, fuel pump, oil cooler, hoses, injection pump, etc. are all on the inboard side. There's really nothing on the outboard side of the engine that needs any attention.

Of course the opposite is true of the starboard engine where everyhing that might need servicing is on the outboard side of the engine.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
markpierce:I have conversations with myself. Does that count? "

Only sure way to an intelligent discussion. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I talk to anything I own! Not always in good ways... but sometimes. I listen to them (occasionally) too. None of these encounters really make a sweet bit of real difference... but in my behalf, I can let some steam off when necessary. The objects just keep on smiling no matter what they or I might say to each other. Talk with lifeless objects is good! Yeah Right!

BTW – Boats do have a soul – Yours!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #30
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Marin...recognize these words from the syn oil thread???

"One of the girls in the executive lounge of the hotel we stayed in in Xiamen, China gave me a little wooden Buddha and I rub its tummy every day before going to work. Don't know if it makes any actual difference but it makes me feel like I'm being pro-active in how my day goes. So perhaps one of these little guys will help you believe your engine cranking is doing some good. Never underestimate the power of superstition......"

By golly I think they are yours!!!!

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #31
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
PS

Writers and politicians who commit thier many thoughts to video or paper eventually say something opposite to their current position. It would seem you caught Marin with his pants down. As Marin recently said, "pull your pants back up, thats a sight picture none of us need."
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #32
Art
Guru

dou·ble-talk / Spelled[duhb-uhl-tawk] Noun:
1. speech using nonsense syllables along with words in a rapid patter for purposes of confusion to others.
2. deliberately evasive or ambiguous language: When you try to get a straight answer, he gives you double-talk.
3. to engage in double-talk.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #33
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Guys
I think that this was the best ever thread in this forum so far. It has been a great way to meet you guys and have a small but precise idea about the personality of each one of us. I have selected in this thread, the good sense of humor guys as well as the bad ones; the ones who fight for their ideas and dreams, and the ones who do not care about being happy, as long as they are comfortable.

Yes I do talk to my boat, I do dream with it now and forever. I am entitle to be happy and carry a smile as many hours as possible during the day, every day!

Cheers
Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
Guys
I think that this was the best ever thread in this forum so far. It has been a great way to meet you guys and have a small but precise idea about the personality of each one of us. I have selected in this thread, the good sense of humor guys as well as the bad ones; the ones who fight for their ideas and dreams, and the ones who do not care about being happy, as long as they are comfortable.

Yes I do talk to my boat, I do dream with it now and forever. I am entitle to be happy and carry a smile as many hours as possible during the day, every day!

Cheers
Hello Portuguese - You are an insightful, soulful, and happy person! CONGRATS!! Art
Old 04-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #35
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Most often it's only my boat's parts and equipment I talk to or chuckle at. I do regularly talk to my dog.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0894.jpg  
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Marin...recognize these words from the syn oil thread???

"Never underestimate the power of superstition......"

By golly I think they are yours!!!!

Is there an emoticon for extreme sarcasm? Apparently a lot of you don't recognize it when you see it.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
PS

As Marin recently said, "pull your pants back up, thats a sight picture none of us need."
Again, is there an emoticon for extreme sarcasm? An awful lot sails right over you guy's heads, doesn't it. I guess I'm gonna have to de-tune my writing style into a sort of "TF Mode" when I post here.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #38
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Until something better surfaces, perhaps a "wink" will suffice.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

I'll try that, thanks Mark. I don't hold out much hope, though......
Old 04-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #40
Art
Guru

Word to the wise...

Boastfulness is unbecoming – for anyone. Especially to accomplish self aggrandizing put-downs toward others.