Am I getting ripped off AGAIN?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
In another window thread, I saw prices for window replacement. Now I have 9 windows I’m replacing ONLY the glass. I took them out with a boat buddy and plan on reinstalling them with my boat buddy. Replacing all the fuzzy stuff, yes getting technical now, lol. This is actually an easy job.

So, the prices I have been getting just for cutting grey lite 14 are....3 grand in St. Augustine and 2 grand in Daytona. Now this is just for the glass and cutting. I brought the old windows to them. On top of this they want to charge me a template fee. Really? I gave them the windows. Isn’t that enough of a template?

I need help here. I feel like I’m getting ripped off and with that kind of money I would expect an installation. Am I wrong?

Any suggestions on who you may have used between Jax and Daytona? I’m right in the middle of both cities.

Give Lee & Cates a call or email.

I don't know if they do the glass you want but they did redo the seal on my flybridge door top hatch.

They have multiple Jax locations and one in St Augustine.

http://www.leeandcatesglass.com/

Last edited:
Sounds expensive I used a local glass shop for tempered grey glass and though I don't recall the price I didn't think it was outrageous. Mine were rectangular with a pull handle hole and rounded corners. Do you have special shapes? Are you dealing personally with the glass shop?

Don't know anything about window prices but Yikes!

Just a stranger telling you you're right to be shocked and suspicious. I would be too.

Maybe call an auto glass for a new direction..

Last edited:
Sounds expensive I used a local glass shop for tempered grey glass and though I don't recall the price I didn't think it was outrageous. Mine were rectangular with a pull handle hole and rounded corners. Do you have special shapes? Are you dealing personally with the glass shop?

Yes I’m dealing personally with the shops. No holes just slip on window pull that I will put back. No funky shapes, most square a couple in an angle.

9 windows at two thousand equals just over $200 a window. Is that bad?

Another idea would be if its cheap and easy to remove your frames I'd consider lexan knowing i'd have to replace it periodically due to scratching or UV fading. I'd only consider this for side windows and not a windshield.

Probably not ideal but just a thought.

I suggest measuring one rectangular window then calling multiple shops and asking for a price.
You will need thickness as well as L&W, tempered, grey and a corner specification.

In my case the local shop cut the glass then sent it somewhere to be tempered.

For 9 windows in tempered glass, $2k doesn’t sound bad to me. I wouldn’t be afraid to shop it a little more, but that price per window seems reasonable.

laminated glass is often recommended for boat windows vs tempered and is about double the cost I believe. And there is also a laminated tempered glass which doubles the cost again. What material are you being quoted?

laminated glass is often recommended for boat windows vs tempered and is about double the cost I believe. And there is also a laminated tempered glass which doubles the cost again. What material are you being quoted?

Grey lite 14

Tell them it’s for anything other than a boat! House, RV, train, haha.

9 windows at two thousand equals just over $200 a window. Is that bad?

Yes considering the size. I could have a Pella triple pane tilt in window installed at my house for the same cost and I wouldn’t have to do a thing!

It’s too much! I paid $100 Cdn per window for lami glass. And $175 for a angled piece that was a custom tint. If I wasn’t so particular on the tint, it would have been considerably less. I gave them dimensions. They don’t need to make templates for square or rectangular shapes.

Last edited:
Correction! It was $80-90/ window.

Correction! It was $80-90/ window.

And that’s in Canadian $$, so even a better deal!

Shop some more Donna, you’ll find a better price. And as far as the template fee, you might be talking to a shop that uses CNC for cutting the glass. Just a thought.

And that’s in Canadian $$, so even a better deal!

Shop some more Donna, you’ll find a better price. And as far as the template fee, you might be talking to a shop that uses CNC for cutting the glass. Just a thought.

Thanks. Just feel like they see me coming. It’s happened with other boat stuff too.

I never tell any shop that it is for a boat. just say this is the dimension and type of glass I want, They don't care what you are using it for.

In another window thread, I saw prices for window replacement. Now I have 9 windows I’m replacing ONLY the glass. I took them out with a boat buddy and plan on reinstalling them with my boat buddy. Replacing all the fuzzy stuff, yes getting technical now, lol. This is actually an easy job.

So, the prices I have been getting just for cutting grey lite 14 are....3 grand in St. Augustine and 2 grand in Daytona. Now this is just for the glass and cutting. I brought the old windows to them. On top of this they want to charge me a template fee. Really? I gave them the windows. Isn’t that enough of a template?

I need help here. I feel like I’m getting ripped off and with that kind of money I would expect an installation. Am I wrong?

Any suggestions on who you may have used between Jax and Daytona? I’m right in the middle of both cities.
I replaced 3 windows this year. One windshield, one a head slider and the last a hatch. Total price for safety glass, laminated, was under $200 Canadian, (so almost free when you do the exchange). Tempered would be more of course, but never as miuch as you were quoted.

Doubt very much that anyone got tempered glass for $80 in Canadian dollarettes, (unless they were tiny and square) that's $58US. I was just quoted $650Cdn for 3/8" tempered glass with two holes and radius corners. I have dealt a lot with windows and that is about the going rate.

I've done a total of 46 (Ithink) new custom windows on this boat and my last two boats. Your quote does not seem out of line to me.

The template charge is to program the automated cutter, no one cuts by hand anymore unless shadetree.

Given the size of your windows $200ea. sounds reasonable

Thanks. Just feel like they see me coming. It’s happened with other boat stuff too.

It's hard for any of us to judge but doesn't sound exceptionally high. You have different sizes and different shapes so it is nine different windows rather than one window nine times.

Also, the quality cutters are going to make templates. As a result, using automated cutting, their consistency and accuracy will be perfect.

On the surface, the prices don't seem out of line to me.

I just replaced a 27" x 34" tempered glass for $58. When I picked it up he gave we two because one had a small chip on the edge! That price is crazy unless you have a submarine!

If it's tempered, they'll need to send it out for tempering. It's not cheap. I had a 3/8" windshield replaced, clear glass, rounded corners, had to be templated. 36x26 the piece was $315. That was in 2016. Sounds like your price isn't out of line. I suppose you could use laminated, it could be cut on site, probably less cost, but not as tough.

I replaced my windows by taking 1 pane to a local glass company and told them I needed 6 of the same.
just under $100 each pane and no other charges.

Graylite 14 is a high performance glass with 14% light transmission, tempered. It's a soda lime colored glass. This is much different than just saying I want a tempered glass. I think the quality of glass Donna is getting was somewhat overlooked by those talking about buying cheaper. She'll know the difference when she's comfortably inside with less glare and less heat.

Graylite 14 is a high performance glass with 14% light transmission, tempered. It's a soda lime colored glass. This is much different than just saying I want a tempered glass. I think the quality of glass Donna is getting was somewhat overlooked by those talking about buying cheaper. She'll know the difference when she's comfortably inside with less glare and less heat.

True I am going for the best! I guess I’ll just suck up the cost and move on.

All of you have been very helpful. Just tough when you’re a woman and say the word “ boat”. That’s why I have learned to do most work myself.

Back
Top Bottom