Am I getting ripped off AGAIN?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Donna maybe you need to get some estimates inland away from the “ high rent districts “. Palatka, Green Cove, even Lake City might be worth the drive.

That’s where I got the 3 grand quote from just for the glass.

Lee $ Cates will be among the most expensive quotes obtained. They do good work, just not inexpensive.
Try calling Mirror Man Inc in St Augustine. He does work very professionally and much more reasonably. He does glass but not sure if he would have the type your looking for.

Why bother with tempered?

"Total price for safety glass, laminated, was under $200 Canadian,"

Safety is critical but any auto shop can do safety glass , which might even be a better choice than tempered.

We use auto safety glass in pilot house as wipers , even with a FW washing setup, will scratch the window in time , so replacement is necessary.

I just replaced my three pilot house windows. Approximately 27x30 for $85 each laminated. I did the labor.

The heat from sunshine , esp in FL is a constant.

The best way to get rid of it is to reflect it away , a glass that absorbs the heat will feel warm to the touch and pass heat into the cabin.

Out simple system is cloth window covers created so they can be snapped in place either inside or outside.

Cruising they can be snapped in place quickly , for comfort or privacy , when the boat is unoccupied they snap on inside to reduce sun damage and not get blown off in a hurricane.

Marina bound folks can have covers made from RV windshield style material that blocks the sun but allows viewing from inside.,,,, However if you light up inside at night , you are on display.

Marina Plan B is reflective mirror foil stuck on outside , for the Bubba cop sun glasses look.

Plan C is "warm shades" insulated pull or roll down shades that are a great help if air conditioned or heating.

Last edited:
Once you've obtained 3 or more responsible and responsive proposals you have surfaced the market price ...done.

Some good points are raised about what type glass is being considered. Prices may wary widely depending on the glass specs. Good idea to ask what is being quoted. My experience was with single window replacement and I just wanted to match the factory basic grey tempered so not expensive.

Back
Top Bottom