Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #41
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
You guys are thinking like Californians. What you do is get a towboat on the radio and offer him a case of beer to come over and blast all the mud out!!! Works everytime!
Well, a guy did that here in Biloxi and he got a $10,000 fine and the toe boat operator got a $900,000.00 fine. That's right $900k! So be weary of gubment we have elected.

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #42
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Next time you're at the boat ask your harbor master how easy it is to get a dredge permit. The dock extension permit should be a piece of cake by comparison.
If one can build an "outlaw" apartment into their house... Oh well, I guess "outlaw" dredging is more recognizable by others.

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post

FF and FlyWright, why the recommendations for non-trawlers? Cheaper and faster?

Thanks all!
I mentioned those boat brands as possible contenders in your budget. A 38 Bayliner, while not a true trawler, is capable of slow cruise with moderate efficiency. If you go non-turbo diesel, you'll likely enjoy enhanced safety, reliability and efficiency from your powerplant.

The Mainship suggested above is another good possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Well, a guy did that here in Biloxi and he got a $10,000 fine and the toe boat operator got a $900,000.00 fine. That's right $900k! So be weary of gubment we have elected.
Swampu, good to 'see' you back! How's the river boat project coming along? Maybe in another thread? Don't mean to hijack this one.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I mentioned those boat brands as possible contenders in your budget. A 38 Bayliner, while not a true trawler, is capable of slow cruise with moderate efficiency. If you go non-turbo diesel, you'll likely enjoy enhanced safety, reliability and efficiency from your powerplant.

The Mainship suggested above is another good possibility.

Swampu, good to 'see' you back! How's the river boat project coming along? Maybe in another thread? Don't mean to hijack this one.
Mainship and Bayliner are the perfect examples of non-trawlers ideal for the kind of cruising most trawler type boats are used for. A full displacement true trawler type boat is overbuilt for what most people here actually do. Now being overbuilt isn't bad, except when it does come into play on draft. I'm amazed at the people who have boats capable easily of cruising in worse conditions but never venture out in more than 3'. Bayliner made, in my opinion, the best use of space any boat in it's size range ever has.

It reminds me a bit of cars. My parents always drove what I describe as boxy cars. No sleek models for them. They had headroom in the backseat and trunk space. Far more comfortable for 4 or 5 people than a two door coupe or sports car.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #45

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
Thank you, all! Some really great information and points to think about.

I had written off Bayliner but maybe we need to walk around on one or two first. A shallower draft would be nice. After all, at this point we're not crossing oceans.
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
Thank you, all! Some really great information and points to think about.

I had written off Bayliner but maybe we need to walk around on one or two first. A shallower draft would be nice. After all, at this point we're not crossing oceans.
I don't own and haven't owned a Bayliner but there are a lot of happy Bayliner owners on this forum and I haven't run across any who are unhappy with theirs.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. P. Here ya go. Single diesel, shallow draft and cheap...
1998 Penn Yan 269 Legend Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I might trade my center console for that! Diesel, room to sleep, and room to fish! However, if we get another boat it'll have more living space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Tristan, I bought our 65' boat when I was 35. I am still working on it but it will be done this summer. It's never too early. Jump in, if it doesn't work out sell it.
Good to hear, thanks. That's what I'm thinking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
lots of great advice on here.

Supposedly Twain said "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

works with trawlers, too. Fire up the motor(s). Explore. Dream. Discover.

As one of my boating friends lies in an ICU, fighting for his life, that has become all the more poignant. Do it while you can, you don't know what the future holds.
So true.

Thanks, all!
Old 01-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #48
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Supposedly Twain said "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ........... Do it while you can, you don't know what the future holds.
It's a matter of balance (and luck). A guy I worked with (my age) had retired from a 35 year career and started working at my location. He was one of those people who believed in doing it while you can. He had nothing to his name, all his life he spent what he had. He travelled, he had the deluxe cable TV plan, the deluxe cell phone plan, etc.

He was working because he had to and he would have to continue to work until the day he died.

Yes, you might die tomorrow but what if you don't?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #49
Veteran Member

City: Orange Beach, AL
Howdy. We fish offshore and like to cruise the ICW and weekend on the boat. So we bought a Proline 2950 (97 model) with twin OB 300 Suzuki's (08 models). It has a full cabin, 2 berths, galley, head w/shower. Not roomy like a trawler but runs 50MPH if needed. Fits on a lift, and is all fiberglass.

Our retirement boat will be a trawler of some type. That's a ways away, but with more time we plan to explore more water. Have fun and enjoy!
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #50

City: Leesburg, VA
Look at this one.

1988 Ken Hankinson Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The price is right and it's not too far away. If I had a place to put it, I'd be interested.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:27 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Look at this one.

The price is right and it's not too far away. If I had a place to put it, I'd be interested.
Nice boat. The boat is most likely on Lake Lanier, though, and that would present some problems to the OP for getting it to Pensacola. Still a nice boat, though. And the price is attractive.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #52
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
That's a lot of boat in 32ft.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:23 AM   #53
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
It's a matter of balance (and luck). A guy I worked with (my age) had retired from a 35 year career and started working at my location. He was one of those people who believed in doing it while you can. He had nothing to his name, all his life he spent what he had. He travelled, he had the deluxe cable TV plan, the deluxe cell phone plan, etc.

He was working because he had to and he would have to continue to work until the day he died.

Yes, you might die tomorrow but what if you don't?

Uh yeah spending all the money you have and not saving for the future is NOT what I'm suggesting. But putting off all your pleasures for a future that may never come... I would suggest not doing that. You have to find a balance.

My friend is still in a coma.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #54

Hjorgan, that's a neat way to do it. It would also allow me to do more offshore fishing! I'd love to be able to trailer and lift it but the wife really wants something comfortable for st least a week at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Look at this one.

Now that is intriguing. Think the mast could be made to fold? If so, it would definitely fit under the bridge and I could probably tow it with my truck. I love the single diesel and it's a gorgeous boat. I wish it had just a little more space for socializing inside. Very interesting...

Pineapple Girl, best wishes to your friend and his or her family.