Old 05-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Aluminum hulls and quicker electrolysis??

Guys,

Im slipped next to a 40 foot Chris Craft Roamer which is fully aluminum. He's doing a full refit. Probably about 50% done. The remainder of the work will be performed in the water.

Others on my dock arent happy about it because they said that a fully aluminum boat will contritbute to the faster breakdown of all our zincs. Yay or nay?? Hes my neighbor! I'm freaking out!

South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I think that if anything his boat would be the one having a problem not the glass boats.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
Guru

City: Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Absolute baloney. If any of the dock talkers even mention the word "electrolysis" they clearly don't know what they are talking about. Electrolysis has nothing to do with corrosion on boats. It's simply a catchy term that the uniformed have latched on to just like the hair salon people using "electrolysis" to remove body hair.

If an aluminum boat does leak DC current, he will sink long before it has any effect on your boat. ABYC Certified Marine Corrosion Analyst.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Boatpoker:

Could you explain for the forum how the terms, electrolysis, galvanic corrosion, etc. are used relative to boats. I am ChE and those terms are confusing to me as applied to boats.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Boatpoker:

Could you explain for the forum how the terms, electrolysis, galvanic corrosion, etc. are used relative to boats. I am ChE and those terms are confusing to me as applied to boats.

David
Forget "electrolysis" it is a different process used for a specific (irrelevant) purpose. AC/DC Galvanic & Stray Current & Electrolysis Mythology.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #6

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Common fallacy in human thinking. Like the guy that tries to time the lights or splits tens at the blackjack table.

"Can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me".

Thanks for posting this. It is good to be aware of biased thinking.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #7

City: Saanich BC
Vessel Name: Therapi
Vessel Model: 1998 Bayliner 4087
Crap, excuse my start. Al is a creat building material. To day Al is almost as resident to salt/fresh water issue as steel. Take a look around you. Many ALCAN house cruisers, some almost 30 yrs old are still on the water. New construction Al boats serve the recreational as well as commercial industrial market. The navies of the world as well.

We all want boats to last forever, get a grip. Who has owned a boat for over 15 years and who cares when you sell how long it’s life will be. We of the “Tupperware ware” society cannot comment and for the most part have no knowledge of metal boats. I owned “steel” for 37 years and mixed Al with it.

The makers, modern, CC and Marenett made great boats and per dollar value are still a great buy.

One last rant, electrolytes an issue we all face especially in salt and brackish water. Proper wiring on your boat coupled with proper dock wiring is necessary. Ever wonder why swimming is not allowed in marinas?
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #8

Isn’t aluminum LOWER on the galvanic scale than zinc? If so, the aluminum goes first.
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #9
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
No. Simply not true.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
Guru

Here's my neighbor. She's gonna be beautiful when done. Solid rig. 15 foot beam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_103624_HDR.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	89216
Old 05-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #11

Ask yourself if electricity from an aluminum boat is different than from any other source?

/sarcasm
Don't try to chew gum and walk while you ponder this question. Oh, no. It's those aluminized electrons, watch out. Boat cooties, watch out. If lightning strikes an aluminum boat in a marina it can transport all of the other boats into a black hole, or a time-warp, watch out.
/end sarcasm /for the moment
Old 05-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,

From a paper on such things written by Michael H. Mallon, research assistant, Department of Agricultural Engineering, Oregon State University, and by Edward Kolbe, commercial fisheries engineer, OSU Marine Science Center, and assistant professor of agricultural engineering, Oregon State University:

Electrolysis—Traditionally, this term has described all forms of electrochemical corrosion, including both galvanic action and stray-current corrosion. Strictly speaking, it is the producing of chemical changes by passing an electric current through an electrolyte.

Electrolyte—A solution that contains charged particles ("ions") and, therefore, conducts electricity.

Galvanic action—When two different metals are immersed in an electrolyte and connected together electrically, either directly or by a conductor, a current will flow from one to the other. The metal more prone to corrosion will corrode; the other will be protected. This effect is called galvanic action.

Stray-current corrosion—If a voltage difference is accidentally impressed on two underwater metal components, one of them (the more positive one) will corrode. This effect is called stray-current corrosion.

Further: ...passing a current through an electrolyte creates an electrolytic process. Seawater is an electrolyte, dissimilar metals created a current and one of them corrodes away in the process. The whole world calls that electrolysis, even if it is not a voluntary practice intended to break down the electrolyte. No one in the marine industry cares about what happens to the electrolyte seawater, we only care about the electrodes and which one corrodes away. Boaters know it is a process that involves an electrolyte and dissimilar metals, that is good enough for all but the likes of...
Old 05-26-2019, 10:59 PM   #13
Guru

Thanks for the info. Sheesh, tough crowd.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Old 05-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #14
Guru

The previous poster is correct. You have no need to understand the difference betwen electrolysis, electrolytic action, stray current corrosion or galvanic corrosion. You may simply cut & paste from wikipedia as he does and thats fine. However if you own an aluminum boat I'd think you'd want to hire someone that has been trained in these matters and understands that the differences are more than mere sematics.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #15
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BP. Golly. Thanks. I never knowed it was so complimicated....

Old 05-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. BP. Golly. Thanks. I never knowed it was so complimicated....

Only to the uninformed and uneducated.

I have spent a significant amount of time and money on my educations on these matters taking courses including courses from Ed Sherman, Paul Fleury, Dave Rifkin and Kevin Ritz. My investment pales in comparison to the 40yrs my good friend and dock neighbor invested. He retired a year ago as President of IEEE and now consults with the US Navy on corrosion mitigation of their newer electric warships. He also consults with the new Panama canal.

Please don’t tell the US Navy or the Panama Canal that they could have saved a fortune in research consultancy fees if they had just slipped you a few bucks to show them how to use Wikipedia.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #17
Guru

Boatpoker: You're a marine surveyor, correct? Do you talk to your clients who are inexperienced and fresh to the boating life the same way you have done here? I remember over the winter you gave me some rude response on another one of my liveaboard threads. I have a good memory....

I wouldn't pay you one cent for a survey. Experience and accolades are very important but being a teacher and imparting information are just as important in my book.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Old 05-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #18

Nobody ever appreciates my rudeness. What's he got that I haven't got?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I used to be halfway smart on electrowinning. I won't bore anyone with the details except to say it is how zinc, copper and a few other metals in their final forms are produced. Plus this generalist statement won't get BP's knickers in a twist identifying sources just as RT did.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #20
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I went in circles with a previous boat chasing galvanic corrosion about 5 years ago. There are very few people out there who truly understand the subject so overall BP makes some good points. I used the term electrolysis with one Tech, and he asked me if we were talking about woman’s hair removal. I didn’t use the term again after that.

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote