Alum vs FRP RIB dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

truant2

Vessel Name
Kava Kava
Vessel Make
Sealine 420 Statesman
In the market for a new RIB, lighter is better, and there seem to be a flood of new alum dinghys on the market. Any concerns with the alum pitting, painted or bare, etc? Always appreciate the wisdom and experience.of the members of this forum. Cheers for a wonderful new year.

Buddy had an alum inflatable. The one issue he had was the towing eye deformed from the pulling after about a year, but he towed it full time and was operating a day sail business so it was under way almost daily.

As far as weight it was much lighter than the same size frp dingy. He had no issues as far as to putting or the paint. The one he had was a Highfield brand.

Current RIB is an AB 8.5' with a bare alum hull. Motor is a Nissan 9.8 2 stroke. I did install a plastic keel protector and beaching on our gravel and oyster beaches has not been any issue whatever so far.

I have previously also had a painted aluminum hull - the paint bubbled off in spots. I recommend the bare - it may be a bit cheaper $$ as well.

Used to have a Caribe RIB fiberglass hull - it was stated to weigh in at #110 lbs., but was actually around #130lbs. very heavy to try to cart about with the motor if the tide went out.

The current alum AB with a 9.8 Nissan 2 stroke together weigh around #133 lbs.

This becomes somewhat manageable between the admiral and I if stranded by the tide.

I have the powder coated AB, I've had it a year now and it seems fine, a few scratches on the bottom but it has the rubber protector, inside looks really nice, and easy to clean. No bubbles on the bottom as yet, but it is stored out of the water when not in use.

What he ^^^ said. Been using and abusing them in Australia for decades.
No powder coat or paint, raw alloy is best by far.

I'm a recent convert and will never go back. I'd recommend unpainted. It doesn't look as yachtie, but a painted hull won't look very yachtie for long anyway, so you might as well get ahead of it. At least unpainted aluminum is supposed to look the way it does, where chipping and bubbling paint just looks like crap no matter what.

Drake,
Are you assuming we all know what a "Highfield Ocean Master" is?

My lighter aluminum RIB is much easier for me and my Steelhead crane to handle than a much heavier fiberglass RIB of similar size. I've had both and I don't worry about beaching or scratching or chipping with the aluminum. The lighter weight makes it easier to plane as well.

What he ^^^ said. Been using and abusing them in Australia for decades.
No powder coat or paint, raw alloy is best by far.

My mistake.
I thought you were talking ally dinghy vs fiber rib.
I will never have another rib, to fragile for our usage.

Confusing, 2 threads overlapping...but both are interesting.
It`s really different boats for different conditions, they all have their best applications. If your area is rocky with coral even a hard hull rib may not do, but AL would. Down here plain vanilla inflatables are just fine, they are light, not too pricey, so people use them.

Aluminum

I have a 15 year old Aqua-Pro aluminum RIB that is in remarkable condition. Holds air well. Hull is original white (paint/powdercoat?). There has been no bubbling or flaking. Nor any pitting. At 8.5' and approx. 75 lbs., it's a great little tender. When not in use, it has been stored since new upside down on the fore cabin and is covered. I am sure that has contributed to its longevity. When we replace, we'll go with an Aluminum RIB over fiberglass - just a bit longer.

Great thread. At the end of this month we will be looking for an aluminum RIB at the Seattle boat show. I am hoping there are a couple dealers with package options. We are also looking at davits. Thinking Sea Wise to save swim platform room.

So I wonder how many AL dealers there will be at the Seattle boat show

It seems unanimous that AL is preferred over FRP. Does anyone feel otherwise?

I neither agree nor disagree... but FWIW I haven't gotten any sense of unanimity from reading the several threads on dinghies.

Looks to me like individual evaluation based on factors like expected usage, weight, stowage requirements, internal and external dimensions, basic design (seats athwartships? console? internal storage? whatever), horsepower requirements, etc. Lots of wandering about 'glass (or plastic) RIBs versus rigid aluminum boats... with fewer comments specifically about aluminum RIBs (unless I just didn't recognize some of those by brand name).

-Chris

I neither agree nor disagree... but FWIW I haven't gotten any sense of unanimity from reading the several threads on dinghies.

Looks to me like individual evaluation based on factors like expected usage, weight, stowage requirements, internal and external dimensions, basic design (seats athwartships? console? internal storage? whatever), horsepower requirements, etc. Lots of wandering about 'glass (or plastic) RIBs versus rigid aluminum boats... with fewer comments specifically about aluminum RIBs (unless I just didn't recognize some of those by brand name).

-Chris

I meant specifically in the context of this thread, i.e. RIBs with AL hulls vs FRP hulls. So that excludes a lot of other variable and choices, some of which may be better for any give application.

So if you assume one has decided on a RIB, and has a choice of an AL or FRP hull, so far I don't think I've heard anyone say they would prefer FRP, and I've heard lots of people say they prefer AL.

Well, I guess I am the opposite. Grand Infltables, a Canadian company that also has dealers in the northern US markets Grand FRP and Gala Aluminum Ribs. After visiting the showroom and seeing both I chose the FRP over Aluminum. The FRP was a little lighter for my davits, nicer finish and had optional tube ends with boarding steps. The final decision maker was that the Rib fully rigged with a 20hp Tohatsu was the same price in CDN dollars as the US dealers were offering in US dollars, about a 30% saving. I did buy in November when the boat business up here is dead so that may have been the reason.

GRAND MARINE INTERNATIONAL Inc - GRAND RIBs and GALA inflatable boats

I meant specifically in the context of this thread, i.e. RIBs with AL hulls vs FRP hulls. So that excludes a lot of other variable and choices, some of which may be better for any give application.

So if you assume one has decided on a RIB, and has a choice of an AL or FRP hull, so far I don't think I've heard anyone say they would prefer FRP, and I've heard lots of people say they prefer AL.

Ah. Got it.

FWIW, I'd still be in the "how much does it weigh?" camp. I have a big aluminum canoe, and the previous canoe was aluminum... good experience, although not specifically related to the idea of a dinghy.

The first inflatable was a roll-up, so didn't count... other than to confirm for us that inflatables of some sort were the better choice for our needs. Our current one is a "plastic" (really, I think; not FRP) RIB, and it's working well enough, too.

But the drivers were mostly other features -- especially weight, OAL, interior space, built-in "floor" and built-in storage -- without regard to hull material. Don't think I'd care one way or the other; don't see a clear advantage to one or the other, given the way we use the dink. Scrape resistance for AL would be a plus, if we needed that... but mostly we're in mud, around here...

-Chris

Well, I guess I am the opposite. Grand Infltables, a Canadian company that also has dealers in the northern US markets Grand FRP and Gala Aluminum Ribs. After visiting the showroom and seeing both I chose the FRP over Aluminum. The FRP was a little lighter for my davits, nicer finish and had optional tube ends with boarding steps. The final decision maker was that the Rib fully rigged with a 20hp Tohatsu was the same price in CDN dollars as the US dealers were offering in US dollars, about a 30% saving. I did buy in November when the boat business up here is dead so that may have been the reason.

GRAND MARINE INTERNATIONAL Inc - GRAND RIBs and GALA inflatable boats

Nice. I wish they were at the Seattle boat show.....:blush:

I have had so many issues with blow up boats, davits and the problems I have given up. Sold the dinghy, gonna sell the davits. My dinghy is a pull behind 17 foot Boston Whaler Montauk... now THAT is a dinghy!:rofl::rofl:

I have had so many issues with blow up boats, davits and the problems I have given up. Sold the dinghy, gonna sell the davits. My dinghy is a pull behind 17 foot Boston Whaler Montauk... now THAT is a dinghy!:rofl::rofl:

Met a guy over the weekend who does the same thing. Tows the Whaler everywhere. When going into his slip he ties the boat sideways along his stern (he has a 13.5' Whaler and a big, wide stern). He was extolling the virtues of towing a Whaler with a big motor. He likes the speed and the range it gives them when they are cruising.

"My dinghy is a pull behind 17 foot Boston Whaler Montauk... now THAT is a dinghy!:rofl::rofl: "

We have had great results and great times towing inflatables from 14' to 24' over the past 20 years or so. Often pulling them between 7 and 18 knots over 800 miles a season.
It opens up a lot of possibilities like exploring, skiing, and anchoring out easily.

I realize that I'm about 6 months late to this thread but I stumbled upon it while researching aluminum RIBs. In talking with Nick Jackson this morning about his 500# davit vs his 1000# transom mounts, there's about a $1000.00 difference in price. I have since discovered that I can buy a Highfield 11' aluminum RIB and motor and be much lighter than a comparable FRP & motor. Less weight, smaller motor, planes faster, more economical. Bonus? I'm buying a Nick Jackson #500 and saving $1000.00!

500# Transom Model

I realize that I'm about 6 months late to this thread but I stumbled upon it while researching aluminum RIBs. In talking with Nick Jackson this morning about his 500# davit vs his 1000#, there's about a $1000.00 difference in price. I have since discovered that I can buy a Highfield 11' aluminum RIB and motor and be much lighter than a comparable FRP & motor. Less weight, smaller motor, planes faster, more economical. Bonus? I'm buying a Nick Jackson #500 and saving $1000.00!:dance:

500# Transom Model

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom