Old 07-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #1

City: Lake Monroe, Florida
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 43
Alternatives to Krogen Express?

I've concluded that a Krogen Express coastal cruiser is the best fit for my desires: Great Loop capable, low 4' draft for exploring my native Florida and docking behind my house on the St Johns River, two roomy staterooms with two head/showers, seaworthy to the extent of sailing the Caribbean and Gulf, and (non-negotiable) a stand-up engine room. However, I solicit any suggestions for comparable boats that I should consider before I make the leap.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob Breum
Lake Monroe, Florida
PhysicsTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Went on one during Trawler Fest, didn't appear to be built very well small for the size, and also the woodwork wasn't anything special. Also didn't like that they put Yanmars, but that's just IMO.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Went on one during Trawler Fest, didn't appear to be built very well small for the size, and also the woodwork wasn't anything special. Also didn't like that they put Yanmars, but that's just IMO.
Most of the boats on the used market are equipped with Cats, not Yanmars. Honestly, I'm not that concerned with the woodwork, as long as it is functional. Someday I see myself in a Nordhavn, but I want to put in a couple of years or so getting my feet wet exploring the east coast and the islands first.

Bob
Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsTeacher View Post
Most of the boats on the used market are equipped with Cats, not Yanmars. Honestly, I'm not that concerned with the woodwork, as long as it is functional. Someday I see myself in a Nordhavn, but I want to put in a couple of years or so getting my feet wet exploring the east coast and the islands first.

Bob
Oh ok, my knowledge was limited to the one I boarded. Cats are great engines! Do you plan to go faster then normal displacement speeds, or just average displacement speeds? You can explore the wast coast and the islands with a Nordy, we are.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
It's a little smaller, but a Grand Banks Europa is great for what your describe, and I think an all-around better built and finished boat.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
What Cat engines? Not all are made equal. Lots of other vessels to consider but absent more details on your must haves and budget, difficult to come up with comps. That said, for the loop Offshore and GB have some lovely choices assuming you want to comfortably cruise at 16 knots.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:47 AM   #7
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Actually was looking at one this afternoon, and was surprised to just notice there's no direct access from the flybridge to the aft deck. One has to go down the stairs and back through the salon to reach the aft deck. That's really not the best route when one's in a hurry, like needing to release a line (-yeah I've done that before, got a few feet then boing!!) or need to grab a line. Good looking boats though.
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Lots of other vessels to consider but absent more details on your must haves and budget, difficult to come up with comps.
Actually, when you read what he posted, "and (non-negotiable) a stand-up engine room.", there are not that many vessels out there in that size range to consider after all.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Actually, when you read what he posted, "and (non-negotiable) a stand-up engine room.", there are not that many vessels out there in that size range to consider after all.
Probably true, but it seems a shame to compromise the boat for the sake of the engine room.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #10

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
The one I was on at Trawlerfest a few years ago had John Deer for engines. IMO the Krogen Express is an ideal couples all around cruiser for just about everything. Great range, ability to go slow or kick to the teens, low air draft, shallow draft, pilothouse comfort, stand-up engine room, plenty of room for a nice tender, walk-around decks, nice galley Etc. I could go on but as you can tell I'm kind of smitten. My dock neighbor has one so I see it every day. I love my Californians' aft deck, so does the Admiral but I would trade for the KE in a heartbeat.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
The one I was on at Trawlerfest a few years ago had John Deer for engines. IMO the Krogen Express is an ideal couples all around cruiser for just about everything. Great range, ability to go slow or kick to the teens, low air draft, shallow draft, pilothouse comfort, stand-up engine room, plenty of room for a nice tender, walk-around decks, nice galley Etc. I could go on but as you can tell I'm kind of smitten. My dock neighbor has one so I see it every day. I love my Californians' aft deck, so does the Admiral but I would trade for the KE in a heartbeat.
Not to mention the commodious, covered aft deck for indoor outdoor living. My only real negative of the design is 2 sets of steps to access the forward cabins. I guess you have to compromise something to get that stand up engine room.

I think it could be a really good cruiser for Florida and the Bahamas. I like it.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Probably true, but it seems a shame to compromise the boat for the sake of the engine room.
I don't think a Krogan express is much of a compromise. They seem like a pretty nice boat.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
The one I was on at Trawlerfest a few years ago had John Deer for engines.
Are you sure it was a Krogen Express and not a Kadey Krogen? Totally different boats and totally different companies. I ask because Deeres are pretty common in Kadey Krogens, and people often assume the two boats are from the same company.

My apologies in advance is you already know all this, and in the words of Roseanne Roseanadana, "never mind".
Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I don't think a Krogan express is much of a compromise. They seem like a pretty nice boat.
Well, the great thing about boats is that there is one out there for everyone no matter what your preferences. On the Krogen Express I was on, I just didn't think the build quality and fit and finish were comparable to a Grand Banks. But we all have our own priorities, so whatever rings the buyer's bell, they should buy.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Well, the great thing about boats is that there is one out there for everyone no matter what your preferences. On the Krogen Express I was on, I just didn't think the build quality and fit and finish were comparable to a Grand Banks. But we all have our own priorities, so whatever rings the buyer's bell, they should buy.
I agree the GBs are better built in some ways. But the requirement for a true stand up engine room eliminates most GB models around that size from contention. Other than perhaps the older 48-49' motor yacht models. Which are a much different style than the Krogan express.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #16

I truly appreciate all of the input. I posted here because there is no search option for a stand-up engine room or low draft, and I was confident that the forum subscribers would be able to help.

Regarding engines, I have only seen Cats and Yanmars on the Krogen Express, with the Yanmars being the less common, more expensive, higher power option.

I researched the Grand Banks suggestion. It looks like the 46' models have a similar draft, but that access to the engine room requires lifting the stairs. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm looking for engine room access that can be easily accessed while under way, and not by passing through a stateroom, as in some Nordhavns.

As far as price range, I hope to spend between $400-600K on a used boat. Less is always welcome, of course.

Bob
Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
Guru

The ER access and work space Physics Teacher likes on the Express will come in handy as all too many Cat 3116s have exceeded f=ma limitations. Be sure that outboard after cooler can be easily reached and removed.

Over propping on this vessel is a no no. Be sure it can exceed rated full load RPM by about 50 in its current state.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #18

Quote:
The ER access and work space Physics Teacher likes on the Express will come in handy as all too many Cat 3116s have exceeded f=ma limitations.
Your reference to Newton's 2nd law gave me a chuckle, but can you be more specific? It would seem that overpropping would reduce the a in F=ma, but I think you just threw that in there for comic effect. What effect does chronic overpropping have on these engines? What other concerns should I have regarding the Cats?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsTeacher View Post
What effect does chronic overpropping have on these engines? What other concerns should I have regarding the Cats?

Thanks,

Bob
The best source for this type of information is boatdiesel.com with literally hundreds of threads on the more popular engines. The lower HP version Cat 3116 and 3126 can be marvelous engines if propped and serviced correctly. All too few are done so. Once above the 350HP rating the effects of over propping and subsequent overload commonly lead to cracked heads through overheating.

Lack of servicing on the after coolers on any diesel can lead to salt water leaks and early engine demise. The Cat after coolers on the 3116 require special attention.

A priced right - to allow all in financial latitude if engine problems are evident - Express can still yield immense fun and pleasure. Cat supports parts and knowledge for the 3116 and will for a very long time. The Express is a unique vessel and will always have a good following for reasons you have noted. Add to that the reasonable economy at 16 knots with a good running set of engines and even Sir Isaac would be happy.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #20

City: Dayton, OH
I looove the KE 52's, they are so classic in design and lines.. The one thing I noticed, that seemed like a bad choice (I could well be wrong) was the 480HP Yanmars are fairly small displacement engines, like 360 0r 70 cubic inches.
That's asking an awful lot of those cubes. How much actual time you would spend at full throttle? Probably not enough to cause problems.

I only have two dream boats in my fevered mind, and the KE52 is one of them. <wolf whistle>
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote