Old 07-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I don't see where the Teacher is shopping used or new. Perhaps used is assumed.

If not .. the KE is basically a lobsterboat and great opportunities exist in Maine for a custom boat along lobsterboat lines. A quality built wood boat is also an option. Being lightweight is a bigger advantage to lobsterboats than most. If I had the money that's what I'd do. There's more FG boats than wood though.

A custom boat can be made on a stock hull for economy or because one likes a certain hull. Even within the stock hull there's lots of choices. Built down w deeper draft or skeg built and very shallow. Or the reverse if you wish.

So if you like the kid in a candy store thought a custom build may open doors not yet even dreamed about. And I think there are some very skilled builders up in Maine. I need to go there too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I looove the KE 52's, they are so classic in design and lines.. The one thing I noticed, that seemed like a bad choice (I could well be wrong) was the 480HP Yanmars are fairly small displacement engines, like 360 0r 70 cubic inches.
That's asking an awful lot of those cubes. How much actual time you would spend at full throttle? Probably not enough to cause problems.

I only have two dream boats in my fevered mind, and the KE52 is one of them. <wolf whistle>
Seems to me the Yanmar CX series would be better suited at about 452 cu in. They could push that boat without working too hard.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #23

City: Dayton, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Seems to me the Yanmar CX series would be better suited at about 452 cu in. They could push that boat without working too hard.
I agree.
I imagine they used the smaller ones to keep some free space in the engine room.
I studied the charts for RPM and speed over the water, the boat moves out at a good clip at 2000 RPM, about 13 knots. (10.4 GPH)
I bet they can run that speed continuously.
The engines top out at 3300 and the boat making 22.4 knots!
Pretty nice. The Admiral could do some water skiing.
A bit of a racket going on in that ER, though.
Best speed for me would be 10 knots, 1500 RPM, 4.8 GPH..
These are travelers, man.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I'm not exactly known for my style taste in boats, but the KE is one that makes me swoon, perhaps more than any semi-custom or production vessel mfg. right now. Add the stand-up engine room and the IPL (image/performance/looks) quotient is over the top.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #25
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
I'm not exactly known for my style taste in boats
You're not? You have one of the coolest boats of all!

I got a tour of and a half day on the water in KE 52 a few years ago, from some new owners passing through and shaking down a few things. I really liked the boat and the operating ergonomics. For cruising the islands and the Keys and SW FL, I will take 4 ft over 6 ft draft all day long, it opens up so very many places. The Hatt is 5ft and many is the time I wish I could have raised the keel and running gear a foot or so.

The GB 52 is a great boat, probably the one I'd pick if scaling down, but it is a little less sleek and 7" deeper.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #26
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
We are beginning our 4th year as live aboards, on our GB 46 Europa. We love the boat find it real comfortable. We have cruised her over 7,500 nm and have always felt secure in even the worst conditions we've encountered off shore. She has twin Cat 3116s, 350 hp each. They have run flawlessly for over 3,700 hours.

The engine room is almost stand-up for my 5'8" height and is accessed thru a door in the aft storage room (not the lazzarette). There is no lifting of stairs. If you need more detailed info., just ask away. And, we carry an 11' Boston Whaler with a 25hp 4 stroke on the boat deck with no stability issues at all, even in beam seas. Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #27

City: Lake Monroe, Florida
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 43
Quote:
We are beginning our 4th year as live aboards, on our GB 46 Europa. We love the boat find it real comfortable. We have cruised her over 7,500 nm and have always felt secure in even the worst conditions we've encountered off shore. She has twin Cat 3116s, 350 hp each. They have run flawlessly for over 3,700 hours.

The engine room is almost stand-up for my 5'8" height and is accessed thru a door in the aft storage room (not the lazzarette). There is no lifting of stairs. If you need more detailed info., just ask away. And, we carry an 11' Boston Whaler with a 25hp 4 stroke on the boat deck with no stability issues at all, even in beam seas.
Thanks,

I'll check it out.

Bob
PhysicsTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
The GB 47 Europa is the model I know best since I have one. Draft is 3'10" (I think of it as 4'), and I've been through the NY and Canadian canal systems so know it has low enough air draft. The ER is definitely NOT stand up unless you are a lot shorter than I am (6'3"), but I get around it just fine, including reaching the back sides of both engines. Access is via one of two paths. The primary is via lift up stairs from the cockpit to the fly bridge. Going in that way doesn't impinge on anyone or any part of the interior space, and with the side overhand and boat deck as protection from weather, outside access is not a problem. The alternate access path is via a hatch in the salon/galley area and down a small ladder. I always go in via the cock pit.

The newer 52 (might be a 54 now) Europa might have a higher ER ceiling, but you would be talking about a significant jump in $$ for those models.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I can stand up in my engine "room"/compartment, but my head will be well into the pilothouse. Here, sitting on the battery box:

Having a walk-in/stand-up engine room (no doubt a highly desirable feature but at what cost?) requires either a very large boat or a boat with a high vertical outline very subject to winds.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Having a walk-in/stand-up engine room (no doubt a highly desirable feature but at what cost?) requires either a very large boat or a boat with a high vertical outline very subject to winds.
I guess that depends on your definition of "very large." The Krogen Express is 49'-52', and a little over 20 tons. It most definitely does not feature a high vertical outline.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #31
Guru

I never realized the Krogen express had a full height ER, so have been looking at the floor plans and pictures. Is my interpretation correct that the stand-up portion of the ER is the first 5-6 feet (basically the part around the engines), then it drops down in height for the aft part of the ER where presumably the generator, AC units, etc are located? It's hard to tell from the pictures and layout drawings.

20 tons? Wow, that's a light boat. The GB 47 Europa is about 28 tons and is 5 feet shorter. But the GBs do tend to be on the heavy side.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #32
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Is my interpretation correct that the stand-up portion of the ER is the first 5-6 feet (basically the part around the engines), then it drops down in height for the aft part of the ER where presumably the generator, AC units, etc are located?

That's how I remember it being like, but less if memory serves.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:59 PM   #33
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
The Krogen 39 also has a stand-up engine room with tool bench etc., and also has a low profile, but as noted, the stand-up height is only the first 5 ft. or so, there after it's still quite adequate, but maybe 50" or so. Draft is 4.5'.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
The Krogen 39 also has a stand-up engine room with tool bench etc., and also has a low profile, but as noted, the stand-up height is only the first 5 ft. or so, there after it's still quite adequate, but maybe 50" or so. Draft is 4.5'.
Much easier to accomplish with a deep displacement hull, but much harder on the Krogen Express which is a planing hull.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #35
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I recall the ER being full height (6'? I had to stoop very slightly at 6'2") the full length of the engines and very manageable. Not dissimilar from the lay out of the GB Classics, genset tucked away a bit.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #36
Guru

I own a boat very similar in size set up and performance to the KE. My take on this type of boat is they do best for people who want a wider speed choice 7-16K range. This type of boat is also at home on protected waters but can easily venture into chop but really not a great open water boat. The KE and my boat have twins but most DE types do not. The KE is not in my opinion a true lobster boat but is related and some what down easty. If Yanmar 6ly 2a motors are aboard watch out especially if boat has been over propped or run hard. I personally would not buy a boat with 6ly 2a motors unless the price included a repower option. In general I like the design and considered buying one since the boat fits my use pattern fairly well. I do not consider this type of boat a trawler. An express that can be run like a trawler 7-9K when desired.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:56 AM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Lots of headroom here. But the heat in an engine room can become nearly intolerable.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #38

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. I appreciate your input.