Alternative for 5200/4300

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frequently "thru hulls" are used with sea cocks.

The solidly bolted sea cock keeps the water out of the boat , the thru hull perhaps keeps the hull laminate dry.

On inspected vessels the thru hull may be pulled for inspection at times , so some sort of glue as a sealer serves NO purpose , except to make the task harder.

Taking a look is a great idea , USCG requirement or not , especially after 20-45 years.

Tremco moisture cured polyurethane sealant

Hi Tony, which of Tremco's moisture cured polyurethane sealants do you use, the Vulkem 116 or 45SSL?

Brain,

Like many products, not every market is gone after by the manufacturer. You could take the product, repackage and put "marine" all over it, do a few tests and triple the $$..It's that easy.. That does not make it any better, only way more expensive.. 3M 5200 is a great product, but the cost is beyond crazy, and in actual use, offers nothing better than than many other 1/4 or less priced polyurethanes.

My testing of various moisture cured polyurethanes and hybrid silicone's (GE Ultraglaze 4000 for one) over the past 25+ yrs and proved that to me beyond any doubt... Maybe 95% of the work we preform and methods we use to accomplish what we do has never been "certified" for marine use..ABYC has there place , but there is way more to a product than that. It's all about long term field testing in my book, but also realizing that there is always room for improvement..

Tony

Tony,

That's exactly why I asked you if YOUR experience with the product is in salt or fresh. I'm assuming it's probably in salt, or maybe both - but you know what they say about assuming.

Back
Top Bottom