Old 09-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Al's Interesting Boat Thread Hijack

Boy! that brought the thread to a halt!! Anyway, to keep things interesting here is a offer in Birchbay Washington. This is an example of perhaps pulling the two gas pots and installing a couple of small (You decide) diesels and run the boat as a displacement boat with tons of comfort!

44 Foot Silverton Aft - Cabin Yacht

Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Boy! that brought the thread to a halt!! Anyway, to keep things interesting here is a offer in Birchbay Washington. This is an example of perhaps pulling the two gas pots and installing a couple of small (You decide) diesels and run the boat as a displacement boat with tons of comfort!

44 Foot Silverton Aft - Cabin Yacht

Al
Silverton are nice boats, nearly purchased one some years back.

Lets say $12 cash buys the boat. $50 to $70 K pulls gassers and implants couple smallish diesels. = $72K (diesel cost averaged at $60K). For an old boat with resale value at maybe $35K??? PS: Much, much time finding correct items for refit as well as sooo many other items needing to be altered to accommodated the diesels = No use of boat for long duration after purchase.

Lets say boat $12K cash. $10 to $15K rebuild one gas 350 cid and spruce-up the other too. = $24.5K (engine rebuild/spruce-up averaged at $12.5K). For an old boat with resale value at maybe $30K??? PS: Not too much time needed to accomplish rebuild/spruce-up. All items ready to go. = Use of boat in relatively short duration after purchase at not toooo much (approx 1/3) expense.

You make the call.

BTW: Beauty gal placing canvas over windows on beautiful boat is leaving wiper blades exposed to ravages of sun. I always cover mine. There is something in that photo that would look nice uncovered - ehhh Eric??
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Al to "run as a displacement boat" you'd need to do serious surgery to her afterplane.

The Silverton is a nice looking boat though.

The opposite end of the slow end would be a displacement boat not a SD boat. There is more extreme to be had.
Like the Lobsterboat picture though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Both your expertise postings are respected, the knowledge you guys share brings meaning to "Interesting Boats" throughout the forum subjects. Thanks to both.

Art- Gas Pots Will never live in any trawler size boat I ever own. Period.
Eric- SD hulls can travel in displacement mode.

Example of replacement engine for this Silverton. (First one) as this would be a work in progress, time allowed to clean up the engine rooms and acquire two of these as the second came available.

Yanmar 4JHTE 75 HP Marine Complete w Transmission Kanzaki 2 14 1 | eBay

The "Interesting Boat" concept of this boat was the acquiring a project appearing in fair shape and available due to typical mishap of an engine failure and no funds by the current owner to proceed. Acquiring machinery to replace what is required at a price(s) that reflect the original goal of affordable comfort at a "interesting Price/Cost" project.

I just happen to be of that mind, a challenge wroth with pitfalls none of which in my fortunes would break the bank given a disappointment in some aspect of the adventure.
Matter of fact, I had been drooling over a Tolly 34 same as your model with the same intent.
It had a bad Gas Pot and the owner was despondent over the cost of replacement of the engine. The boat sat turning fouler without any activity. Couldn't score as the boat WAS not for sale, just a despondent owner. The boat lays as discribed a year later!!!
Regards.
Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Old 09-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
Art
Guru

Quote:
Both your expertise postings are respected, the knowledge you guys share brings meaning to "Interesting Boats" throughout the forum subjects. Thanks to both.

Art- Gas Pots Will never live in any trawler size boat I ever own. Period.
Eric- SD hulls can travel in displacement mode.

Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Yo, Al - Your expertise is likewise respected.

Feel I must ask: You ever own/often-use, sometimes take fairly long cruises... with an inboard self contained boat having good condition gasser(s). Taint all that bad atall!

Also, If that 34' Tolly tri cabin comes available to you at low cost... I can probably get you in touch with a fellow who repowered one with diesels couple years ago.

IMO... diesels have their place and fill needs in certain boats of most sizes. Gassers have their simplicity and low cost in certain boats up to approx. 38'.

People scared of gasoline explosion = People scared of their own upkeep and precautionary measures.

Happy Boating Daze! - Art

In 1960's - 70's we ran Nordberg Night, Gray Marine, and Chrysler Crown gas engines. We also ran Perkins diesel. Every engine has its place as well as its highs and lows.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
Al
Guru

Art, Good post! I believe we have had a conversation early on when I first joined, on the subject of Gas over Diesel. As a refresher. in my early career days with Standard Oil, (60's)one of the daily assignments was on the marine fuel dock. After three explosions, (all on commercial fishing boats and all gas powered) followed up by a massive pleasure boat explosion at a distant lodge while visiting in our boat, I swore that as soon as I could,gas pots would be out!! Because of the income level at that stage gas boats were the only game.

Before that Art, as a 14 year old,(50's) fishing on commercial seine boats where a young fellow started, all of the boats were gas, old, and in poor shape. Matter of fact my job each morning was as follows: The bunk I slept in was over one of the gasoline fuel tanks. Above my head by bare inches, was the overhead. On deck was he oil stove fuel tank which fed the stove off to my right as I lay in the bunk. As normal on these older low cared for boats" the oil line had a slight leak. Fix it? sure a tuna fish can with a wire loop to hold it under the drip. Each morning before I raised my head, I would gingerly take the about full can, and pour the contents into the previously lifted stove top lid. Then strike a match and start the stove. What a perfect picture for a disaster!! The next boat was an upgrade to steel and still it had a Chrysler Royal power plant, then finally a "Diesel Powered" seine boat (65 HP Atlas)

So yes I have had my fill and experience with cruising long distance with gas and yes modern gas pots are much improved and the incident level has reflected those improvement.
Charge it off to being able to deal with diesel only for all the reasons diesel is the more respected mode of power.

Sure gasoline marine engines have their place. Really like it to be down the float from me, which is not the case currently. Having a smaller boat now over years past places me in the vicinity of majority gas powered boats. I am not daily sweating being there, just happy not to be a owner of one.

As to the Tolly, I had my eye on a couple of those Yanmars I gave as an example Natural aspirated as the example was. Perkins 4-108's were also in the running those being before I became enamored with the 4-236 Perkins

Enjoyed the conversation,
Al
Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Al
Guru

Hey Art! One more of these and a "Take it or leave it" on the Silverton 44 and one could be on the way to a great adventure!!!

Perkins Marine Diesel Engine Transmission | eBay

Al
Old 09-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
Art
Guru

Quote:
Hey Art! One more of these and a "Take it or leave it" on the Silverton 44 and one could be on the way to a great adventure!!!

Perkins Marine Diesel Engine Transmission | eBay

Al
Al - IF I were you...I'd try getting that Silverton for bout 6.5K and then put in diesel engines. But, I'm not you. And, that my fellow boating friend, is another reason that TF is a darn good boating forum!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
If he gets that boat I'll pay money to watch him drive it in Alaska. There's no lower helm station, flybridge only.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:03 AM   #10
Al
Guru

Thanky You CP!!! About had a heart attack when reading your post! I really think Art knew it too. Little devil.

Al
Old 09-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #11
Art
Guru

Quote:
Thanky You CP!!! About had a heart attack when reading your post! I really think Art knew it too. Little devil.

Al
So tell me, Al - What months of the year do you boat in your region of Alaska?

When boating in Maine we were on fly bridge all the time... approximately end of April through end of September... then hauled and covered. Plied New England coast many seasons NY to Maine and most points between. When living in NY on LI's South Shore the use months and dry dock times/items were similar to Maine.

I see nothing wrong with operating from open fly bridge in correct season of any geographic region; that does not rain all the time. Before or after that can get though if it's too cold in some climates; especially during inclement weather conditions. And, oh by the way, we did not have enclosed bridge on 37', raised deck, single screw diesel, 1950, sport fisher. We did however have a salon helm station. Don't think it was used but a couple times in many years.

In that boat we replaced Nordberg Knight gasser with Perkins diesel in 1965. It was expensive even then and a BIG hassle to get everything in order. But it eventually worked out OK. To do a twin swap of gas to diesel in today's market costs makes no economical sense to me. I know boaters who have done that. They were excited while getting into it... quieted quite a bit during it... seemed to not want to really talk about it too much after completion. I do know the costs and time it took to complete. I do not recommend doing that to any old low value boat.

I run on the KISS principal - but - Each to their own!

Happy Boat Dream Daze! - Art
Old 09-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
Al
Guru

Art-
We are able to boat year around pending weather as understood. We are blessed with living in a large portion of protected waters if one chooses to select those during wind conditions. Our prevailing wind is Southeast and average one could state is around 15 knots. 10 knots and 2 foot sea is considered "Good Conditions" 20 knots and 4 foot seas are not to be trifled with as a pleasure boater only if the driving need to go is involved.
We average close to 200 inches of rain each year. Matter of fact, Saturday we had 8 inches in 24 hours followed by near 9 inches on Sunday. Exception for the time but not a record by any means.
From this you can understand a couple of bridge issues. I have a open bridge. When the weather permits yes, I am up there with all the glory in God's country. Cup of hot coffee, binoculars and my Sirius head set.
However this current season there were maybe 6 days out of say, 45 days at sea that pleasant opportunity arose.

Second, I do wish I had arrived at the point of posting photos. Perhaps Eric or Markpiece both having endless photos of Southeast Alaska might jump in with some showing various modifications to different boats that have enclosed the flying bridge with what we title "Top Houses". This term is the result of commercial seine boats, where the skipper would spend endless hours in the past, sitting in the rain determining where to drop the net overboard, This required vision from a high point which the bridge gave. With the addition of the "Top House" both comfort from the rain and vision were obtained.
This concept has gained a ton of acceptance in the pleasure boat fleet. Where at first the covering and still is in many cases, canvas was used, more now where affordable, aluminium is being used. Done correctly the results can be pleasing and functional.

As to the subject of re powering a older boat with diesel. Nuff said on this thread. Trust we will cross swords at on future occasions.

Al
Old 09-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Second, I do wish I had arrived at the point of posting photos. Perhaps Eric or Markpiece both having endless photos of Southeast Alaska might jump in with some showing various modifications to different boats that have enclosed the flying bridge with what we title "Top Houses". ...

Old 09-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post

Although ours (the 40'er) had a fly bridge (the lower helm station was removed a few years after the fly bridge was added) ... we'd changed out the interior though prior to that. A lot of changes occur when you build/own a boat for 49 years!
Any month of the year can see me shutting the pilothouse doors so I'm not chilled during daylight hours.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
Art
Guru

Quote:

As to the subject of re powering a older boat with diesel. Nuff said on this thread. Trust we will cross swords at on future occasions.
Al
Al my pal... In marine doings... I'd rather cross oars. Let's stage a virtual reality rowing race. That's how it all starts when we was tikes! And, I still luv doing it!!

Cheers! - Art
Old 09-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #16
Al
Guru

Art- -Sent you a PM-

Al
Old 09-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #17
Al
Guru

But to get it started, what do you think of this?

Regards,
Al
Old 09-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #18
Al
Guru

Just reading another publication and this came up "Tango" rescue.

Water pumped out of leaky boat at marina in Port Orchard - Story

Al
Old 09-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #19
Art
Guru

Quote:
But to get it started, what do you think of this?

Couldn't see your PM - It went blank soon as I began reading.

For this imaginary page - I'll give you a dollar three eighty plus tax!

Regards,
Al
PS: Time we cease this thread hijack! The bouncers will get PO'd!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:24 PM   #20
Art
Guru

Warned ya Al! TF Bouncers can be Ba Ba BAD!