Alligator River Marina Open?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
Does anyone know the status of this marina?
It was put up for auction earlier this year.

According to cruisers net on April 28th

"Alligator River Marina was recently sold and its owner is retiring after many years of serving Waterway cruisers with delicious food and immaculate facilities. Ms. Wanda will be missed! Alligator River Marina lies on the western shore of the mouth of the Alligator River/AICW, just north of the swing bridge and southwest of flashing daybeacon #12. This facility provides the ONLY readily available dockage and fuel along the patch of the AICW between Coinjock, Elizabeth City and Dowry Creek/Belhaven! Here is a farewell thank you to all her cruising and boating friends:

Greetings to All ICW Travelers:

The Alligator River Marina is open for your fuel and docking needs. We will be transitioning to new management in the upcoming weeks due to my retirement. I appreciate your support and friendship all these years and wish for “ALL OF YOU smooth and happy sailing”.
God Bless each and every one of you and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Ms. Wanda"

http://cruisersnet.net/category/nc-north-carolina/

I hope this helps.

That should answer it, came through 3 weeks back, asked the son who said they were staying open through the sale. He lives in the house that didn't go with the marina....I think.

Same as usual, just be careful of rust/ iron water in one of the washing machines and white t shirts.

It went cheap too... like $600k for the marina, the house, the convenience store, and something like 17 acres.

$600k sounds like someone got a good deal. However I've been there by both boat and rv and it is literally in the middle of no where.

$600k sounds like someone got a good deal. However I've been there by both boat and rv and it is literally in the middle of no where.
So true, every scenario to make the place a big money maker fall to the "middle of nowhere scenario.

If you like solitude, waterfront, fish & game, and just need enough income to break even..... I might be a deal.

The next best thing that came to my mind is an exclusive, high end sportsman club, investors up front for the top class sportsman club and rooms and wet slips for the toys.

But then, I am no businessman. Hooks and good moonshine might help.... :D

A friend of mine will be docking there in about two hrs.

IMG_3549.JPG

If you like solitude, waterfront, fish & game, and just need enough income to break even..... I might be a deal.

You left out the part about working long hours 365 days a year too as many small marina owners do.

Now that also omits one positive that people like Wanda would cite and that is all the people, generally nice people, you meet and interact with over the years. I know one man who in the process of selling his marina "negotiated" a hang around agreement. He was selling to a good friend and seriously wanted to know if it was ok if he just came over and hung around. The buyer said, "you might get put to work, but you're always welcome." The seller said, "Well, I'm not pumping gas, but if someone needs some candy and a soft drink I'll sell it to them." The owner said that he loved being there, he just didn't want to have to be there anymore and he and his wife would travel some.

We were in there two days ago. The marina is still working. The "restaurant" is not open but the grill is open until 5pm. They were pumping fuel. Ms. Wanda said she was there for a few more days and when I asked her what her next chapter was, she just smiled.

Midway Marina in Coinjock is also for sale, currently in Chapter 13.

Last time I did any research on it, there were about 500 marinas in the US officially for sale and several hundred more that easily could be purchased. It's a tough business.

You left out the part about working long hours 365 days a year too as many small marina owners do.

Now that also omits one positive that people like Wanda would cite and that is all the people, generally nice people, you meet and interact with over the years. I know one man who in the process of selling his marina "negotiated" a hang around agreement. He was selling to a good friend and seriously wanted to know if it was ok if he just came over and hung around. The buyer said, "you might get put to work, but you're always welcome." The seller said, "Well, I'm not pumping gas, but if someone needs some candy and a soft drink I'll sell it to them." The owner said that he loved being there, he just didn't want to have to be there anymore and he and his wife would travel some.

Having been there many times, I can guarantee nobody works 365 and long hours.

Not saying it isn't a lot of work....but it's not that kind of marina...having worked in both kinds myself.

Having been there many times, I can guarantee nobody works 365 and long hours.

Not saying it isn't a lot of work....but it's not that kind of marina...having worked in both kinds myself.

Well, still can't run off on long vacations until retired.

Back
Top Bottom