Are all marinas like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard very often "The World supports quality". I don't always feel that way, but when I think of the busiest and happiest people I know, the world is supporting them just fine. I'm confident that you're destined to find your place among like-thinkers, and if you don't, you may be destined to lead the non-like thinkers to think about it.

one thing I have learned by being in business for myself and talking to other business owners all my life.

One indisputable fact is.

No one will ever pay you for what you are worth.

One exception.

If you are in business for yourself. You will get exactly what you are worth.

SD

Here in Southern California a marina is a place to keep your boat and a boatyard is where you get work done. Is it different in other places?

Yes. In California marinas and boatyards must be separate business entities (by law.) The few exceptions to this rule have been grandfathered in. But in general, marinas are where you park your boat and boatyards are where you haul out for maintenance and repairs.

It is fairly irritating to hear easterners using the term "marina" when what they are referring to is a "boatyard." Your marina may have a boatyard or visa versa, but you do not have your boat on the hard for new bottom paint in the marina. :banghead:

that post had more grammatical errors and misspellings then any I have ever seen here on TF.

Is "then" as opposed to "than" a misspelling or grammatical error? How ironic.

Justin, I agree with the poster that suggested starting your own company. Your high standards will likely bring you success.

Really? Read the original post:hide: I'm hardly a spelling/grammar Nazi but that was epic. Can we move on?

So what would you call it then? Ive done a cpl bottom jobs at the marina when i was there. We don't say " bring your boat to the yard". Its always "bring the boat to our marina and we will haul it out for bottom paint". I've been debating for the last 6 months if i wanna open up on business on the river. One of the local marina's has a 35 ft flat deck boat which would be perfect for throwing all my supplies on and going marina to marina.

Justin, Do folks in your area keep boats at private docks, how about a mobile detailing service? If you could find some help with your work ethic

you would be on your way to a successful business.

JohnP

Yes they do, we have islands along the Illinois river that are all privately owned. So i could start there. A few people i know could work with me. Nobody is going to work FOR me. They will be working WITH me.

So what would you call it then? Ive done a cpl bottom jobs at the marina when i was there. We don't say " bring your boat to the yard". Its always "bring the boat to our marina and we will haul it out for bottom paint". I've been debating for the last 6 months if i wanna open up on business on the river. One of the local marina's has a 35 ft flat deck boat which would be perfect for throwing all my supplies on and going marina to marina.

Now you're talking.
Just as there are those who will take advantage of your work and thier customers, there are people who will pay for high quality, timely work.

Keep your operation small and go for it.
If your work is as good as you say, you silk be kept busy and be able to set your own standards and hours.
Richard

So what would you call it then? Ive done a cpl bottom jobs at the marina when i was there. We don't say " bring your boat to the yard".

That's exactly what we say. And we say that because that's where the boat will be hauled out and worked upon. And here we have boatyards that have marinas immediately adjacent and boatyards that have no marina nearby. California legalities aside, marinas and boatyards are different locations serving different purposes. If a car mechanic has a parking lot in front of his shop, he doesn't tell you to, "Bring your car to the parking lot and I'll change the oil."

So what would you call it then? Ive done a cpl bottom jobs at the marina when i was there. We don't say " bring your boat to the yard".

That's exactly what we say. And we say that because marinas and boatyards are different locations serving different purposes. If a car mechanic has a parking lot in front of his shop, he doesn't tell you to, "Bring your car to the parking lot and I'll change the oil."

Here the marina and "yard" or where you would pull the boat out is owned by the same person, on the same piece of property the marina and shop are 30 yards apart. So here its called a marina so ill agree to disagree on that one.

Back east...it's a little true...especially for the oldtimers...back in the old days you saw marina and yard separately a bit more.

But were's not fussy enough to pass laws over it...and some "marinas" by name provide more and better services than some "boat yards"...

So I'm guessing where the vast majority of boaters in the US are really don't care much what you call them.

I think there's a thread someplace where people are getting huffy over the words "salon" and "saloon"...maybe the marina/yard controversy belongs there with other highly important boating issues.:thumb:

I'm guessin' these marina/yard places are not all that friendly towards D.I.Y.ers.

I'm guessin' these marina/yard places are not all that friendly towards D.I.Y.ers.

depends..some are, some aren't...

as environmental laws squeak in...more and more limit what you can/can't do...

some help ya and some hurt ya....

depends..some are, some aren't...

as environmental laws squeak in...more and more limit what you can/can't do...

some help ya and some hurt ya....

Many will charge your subs a percentage of the bill usually 10-15%.

There is a yard(currently for lease for $8,000/month) within my marina( can not differentiate boundaries ). Same owner, same island( private island ) but separate and distinct entities for legal reasons. DIY yards do still exist in California but they're as rare as hen teeth.

DIY is not allowed at my home yard/marina but approved, insured contractors are allowed to use the yard by my owner on a job to job basis until the yard is leased in whole by someone. Reason stated to me by harbor master/island manager is pure and simple liability. Owner feels its far cheaper to have a vacant yard than any EPA issues.

Last edited:
There is a yard(currently for lease for $8,000/month) within my marina( can not differentiate boundaries ). Same owner, same island( private island ) but separate and distinct entities for legal reasons. DIY yards do still exist in California but they're as rare as hen teeth.

DIY is not allowed at my home yard/marina but approved, insured contractors are allowed to use the yard by my owner on a job to job basis until the yard is leased in whole by someone. Reason stated to me by harbor master/island manager is pure and simple liability. Owner feels its far cheaper to have a vacant yard than any EPA issues.

not sure when...but I feel at some point the pendulum may swing back....I'd be willing to post an "environmental bond" till my "area of work" has been inspected by an EPA guy (much like a building inspection process) just so I could continue to work on my own boat.

Concerning most yards...I just don't trust or like the job they do and certainly can't wait for their schedule...hopefully something will bring back sanity to boating...and I even agree to being more sensitive to the environment...but not at the cost it has had on the little guy who really isn't the threat.

not sure when...but I feel at some point the pendulum may swing back....I'd be willing to post an "environmental bond" till my "area of work" has been inspected by an EPA guy (much like a building inspection process) just so I could continue to work on my own boat.

This will never happen. Thee EPA is not staffed to have an inspector come out and check every DIYer's work space in the yard, nor are they mandated to do so. The boatyard is a "point source" of water pollution and under the federal Clean Water Act, are responsible for the effluent they produce. This is why more and more yards are restricting DIY activities. And honestly, it's as much about lawsuits against yards by environmental watchdog groups (some legitimate, some not) as it is the EPA enforcing the law.

it's as much about lawsuits against yards by environmental watchdog groups (some legitimate, some not) as it is the EPA enforcing the law.

That's the real bottom line. In California we have watchdog groups for everything. One guy is a wheelchair bound lawyer who makes a great living by suing every business he visits(so it seems) over some of the most obscure wheelchair accessibility rules of the ADA.

My boat is in a yacht club where DIYers are encouraged. The club accepts used motor oil, exchanges oil blankets, stores "A' frames, and allows the use of the boat launching hoist for "heavy lifts." (I used the hoist to install a 5K gen set in my boat.) Even when we were in a public marina (Sunroad, Walt) I was allowed to build a ramp from the dock to the stern of my boat to get an engine off and back on to my boat.

This will never happen. Thee EPA is not staffed to have an inspector come out and check every DIYer's work space in the yard, nor are they mandated to do so. The boatyard is a "point source" of water pollution and under the federal Clean Water Act, are responsible for the effluent they produce. This is why more and more yards are restricting DIY activities. And honestly, it's as much about lawsuits against yards by environmental watchdog groups (some legitimate, some not) as it is the EPA enforcing the law.
Actually just had some one PM me that a yard near them did swing back to DIY in a very restrictive area....after working a deal with the EPA and insurance companies they all saw the light of losing too much business in the long run.

I can see the writing on the wall here in NJ...a few yards have become very restrictive in what they will allow you to do and they are almost vacant....the more progressive marina owners are looking for that happy medium....yes comply but compromise.

Even when we were in a public marina (Sunroad, Walt) I was allowed to build a ramp from the dock to the stern of my boat to get an engine off and back on to my boat.
I love SunRoad and I have tried all the marinas over the years. Our manager is the "best" & even hosts two cruises a year. One to Ensenada, Mexico and one to Catalina. We have parties that would knock your socks off and the response to a legitimate complaint is immediate.:smitten:

Back
Top Bottom