Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
As long as you are happy where you are now,,,fine...

But if working around boats is your dream and you don't like how some of the businesses are run or even just part of the one you were with...I gotta say that's being short sighted.

I loved being a USCG helo pilot even though I didn't always agree with US Government or even USCG or my commanding officer's policies...but that doesn't mean that I could go look for another job with the same satisfaction...none out there in my mind. So not agreeing how things are done...and as Sunchaser pointed out...your idea of the way of doing things is neither the industry standard or the right way either.

So think long and hard about just "going back" to the way things were if you had a dream...we all have them and often when we get there the "streets aren't lined with gold" as we may have thought...but silver ain't so bad in the long run.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #22
Guru

Here in Southern California a marina is a place to keep your boat and a boatyard is where you get work done. Is it different in other places?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Here in Southern California a marina is a place to keep your boat and a boatyard is where you get work done. Is it different in other places?
yes
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
Guru

City: Trenton
Unless you are the lead sled dog the view is always the same.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Justin use that little spell check thingy. ABC with a check mark.

My spelling is horrible.

I just spelled horrible wrong.

SD
Old 10-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Justin let it go on record that I also was put down for bad spelling and perhaps more. That was only once and some time ago and let the same happen to you.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Near Nashville
Vessel Name: No name either
Vessel Model: No boat yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
Justin use that little spell check thingy. ABC with a check mark.

My spelling is horrible.

I just spelled horrible wrong.

SD
Ha ha, my spelling is beyond horrendous but fortunately between Firefox's spell check, Office's spell check and the Dictionary.com bookmark on my toolbar it doesn't show very often.

Dictionary.com - Free Online English Dictionary

Occasionally I'll type something none of them can decipher so I have to resort to using the Thesaurus...
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #28
Guru

[QUOTE=Daddyo;182304] that post had more grammatical errors and misspellings then any I have ever seen here on TF.

Is "then" as opposed to "than" a misspelling or grammatical error? How ironic.

Justin, I agree with the poster that suggested starting your own company. Your high standards will likely bring you success.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #29
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinclay View Post
As for the grammar, im not upset by it. This is a forum not a formal grammatical school. Forums were intended to feed off each others information and knowledge. I have little knowledge of some stuff and is the reason im on here. Also why i ask a lot of questions and for the most part people answer back with sincerity.
Justin, I think it took a lot of courage to do what you did. 9/29/13 made 16 years of my feeding myself and being in business. One if my biggest complaints was the lack of integrity in my field by the dealerships I worked for. I felt back then that I could be honesty and still make a living- and I have. If you choose to start out on your own I encourage you to embrace the idea that "I'm not the cheapest guy around, but I am the best choice". Ultimately the customer base you build will understand that he will always get your best. And you will always tell him the truth. Not every customer thinks this way, but a lot do. Good luck!!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Here in Southern California a marina is a place to keep your boat and a boatyard is where you get work done. ...
Same here.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #31
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I've heard very often "The World supports quality". I don't always feel that way, but when I think of the busiest and happiest people I know, the world is supporting them just fine. I'm confident that you're destined to find your place among like-thinkers, and if you don't, you may be destined to lead the non-like thinkers to think about it.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #32
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
one thing I have learned by being in business for myself and talking to other business owners all my life.

One indisputable fact is.

No one will ever pay you for what you are worth.

One exception.

If you are in business for yourself. You will get exactly what you are worth.

SD
Old 10-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #33
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Yes. In California marinas and boatyards must be separate business entities (by law.) The few exceptions to this rule have been grandfathered in. But in general, marinas are where you park your boat and boatyards are where you haul out for maintenance and repairs.

It is fairly irritating to hear easterners using the term "marina" when what they are referring to is a "boatyard." Your marina may have a boatyard or visa versa, but you do not have your boat on the hard for new bottom paint in the marina.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #34
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
[QUOTE=mahal;182463]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
that post had more grammatical errors and misspellings then any I have ever seen here on TF.

Is "then" as opposed to "than" a misspelling or grammatical error? How ironic.

Justin, I agree with the poster that suggested starting your own company. Your high standards will likely bring you success.
Really? Read the original post I'm hardly a spelling/grammar Nazi but that was epic. Can we move on?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
[QUOTE=Daddyo;182536]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post

Really? Read the original post I'm hardly a spelling/grammar Nazi but that was epic. Can we move on?

Every day there are multiple spelling and grammatical errors posted here. I've more important issues to deal with.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #36

So what would you call it then? Ive done a cpl bottom jobs at the marina when i was there. We don't say " bring your boat to the yard". Its always "bring the boat to our marina and we will haul it out for bottom paint". I've been debating for the last 6 months if i wanna open up on business on the river. One of the local marina's has a 35 ft flat deck boat which would be perfect for throwing all my supplies on and going marina to marina.
justinclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #37
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Justin, Do folks in your area keep boats at private docks, how about a mobile detailing service? If you could find some help with your work ethic

you would be on your way to a successful business.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #38

Yes they do, we have islands along the Illinois river that are all privately owned. So i could start there. A few people i know could work with me. Nobody is going to work FOR me. They will be working WITH me.
justinclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #39
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
So what would you call it then? Ive done a cpl bottom jobs at the marina when i was there. We don't say " bring your boat to the yard". Its always "bring the boat to our marina and we will haul it out for bottom paint". I've been debating for the last 6 months if i wanna open up on business on the river. One of the local marina's has a 35 ft flat deck boat which would be perfect for throwing all my supplies on and going marina to marina.
Now you're talking.
Just as there are those who will take advantage of your work and thier customers, there are people who will pay for high quality, timely work.

Keep your operation small and go for it.
If your work is as good as you say, you silk be kept busy and be able to set your own standards and hours.
Richard

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #40
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
So what would you call it then? Ive done a cpl bottom jobs at the marina when i was there. We don't say " bring your boat to the yard".
That's exactly what we say. And we say that because that's where the boat will be hauled out and worked upon. And here we have boatyards that have marinas immediately adjacent and boatyards that have no marina nearby. California legalities aside, marinas and boatyards are different locations serving different purposes. If a car mechanic has a parking lot in front of his shop, he doesn't tell you to, "Bring your car to the parking lot and I'll change the oil."