Old 10-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #41

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinclay View Post
So what would you call it then? Ive done a cpl bottom jobs at the marina when i was there. We don't say " bring your boat to the yard".
That's exactly what we say. And we say that because marinas and boatyards are different locations serving different purposes. If a car mechanic has a parking lot in front of his shop, he doesn't tell you to, "Bring your car to the parking lot and I'll change the oil."

Old 10-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #42

Here the marina and "yard" or where you would pull the boat out is owned by the same person, on the same piece of property the marina and shop are 30 yards apart. So here its called a marina so ill agree to disagree on that one.

justinclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Back east...it's a little true...especially for the oldtimers...back in the old days you saw marina and yard separately a bit more.

But were's not fussy enough to pass laws over it...and some "marinas" by name provide more and better services than some "boat yards"...

So I'm guessing where the vast majority of boaters in the US are really don't care much what you call them.

I think there's a thread someplace where people are getting huffy over the words "salon" and "saloon"...maybe the marina/yard controversy belongs there with other highly important boating issues.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #44
Guru

I'm guessin' these marina/yard places are not all that friendly towards D.I.Y.ers.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
I'm guessin' these marina/yard places are not all that friendly towards D.I.Y.ers.
depends..some are, some aren't...

as environmental laws squeak in...more and more limit what you can/can't do...

some help ya and some hurt ya....
Old 10-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #46
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

depends..some are, some aren't...

as environmental laws squeak in...more and more limit what you can/can't do...

some help ya and some hurt ya....
Many will charge your subs a percentage of the bill usually 10-15%.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #47
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
There is a yard(currently for lease for $8,000/month) within my marina( can not differentiate boundaries ). Same owner, same island( private island ) but separate and distinct entities for legal reasons. DIY yards do still exist in California but they're as rare as hen teeth.

DIY is not allowed at my home yard/marina but approved, insured contractors are allowed to use the yard by my owner on a job to job basis until the yard is leased in whole by someone. Reason stated to me by harbor master/island manager is pure and simple liability. Owner feels its far cheaper to have a vacant yard than any EPA issues.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
There is a yard(currently for lease for $8,000/month) within my marina( can not differentiate boundaries ). Same owner, same island( private island ) but separate and distinct entities for legal reasons. DIY yards do still exist in California but they're as rare as hen teeth.

DIY is not allowed at my home yard/marina but approved, insured contractors are allowed to use the yard by my owner on a job to job basis until the yard is leased in whole by someone. Reason stated to me by harbor master/island manager is pure and simple liability. Owner feels its far cheaper to have a vacant yard than any EPA issues.
not sure when...but I feel at some point the pendulum may swing back....I'd be willing to post an "environmental bond" till my "area of work" has been inspected by an EPA guy (much like a building inspection process) just so I could continue to work on my own boat.

Concerning most yards...I just don't trust or like the job they do and certainly can't wait for their schedule...hopefully something will bring back sanity to boating...and I even agree to being more sensitive to the environment...but not at the cost it has had on the little guy who really isn't the threat.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #49

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
not sure when...but I feel at some point the pendulum may swing back....I'd be willing to post an "environmental bond" till my "area of work" has been inspected by an EPA guy (much like a building inspection process) just so I could continue to work on my own boat.
This will never happen. Thee EPA is not staffed to have an inspector come out and check every DIYer's work space in the yard, nor are they mandated to do so. The boatyard is a "point source" of water pollution and under the federal Clean Water Act, are responsible for the effluent they produce. This is why more and more yards are restricting DIY activities. And honestly, it's as much about lawsuits against yards by environmental watchdog groups (some legitimate, some not) as it is the EPA enforcing the law.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #50
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
[QUOTE=markpierce;182540]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post

Every day there are multiple spelling and grammatical errors posted here. I've more important issues to deal with.
Like defining the difference between boatyards and marinas?
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #51
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
it's as much about lawsuits against yards by environmental watchdog groups (some legitimate, some not) as it is the EPA enforcing the law.
That's the real bottom line. In California we have watchdog groups for everything. One guy is a wheelchair bound lawyer who makes a great living by suing every business he visits(so it seems) over some of the most obscure wheelchair accessibility rules of the ADA.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #52
Guru

My boat is in a yacht club where DIYers are encouraged. The club accepts used motor oil, exchanges oil blankets, stores "A' frames, and allows the use of the boat launching hoist for "heavy lifts." (I used the hoist to install a 5K gen set in my boat.) Even when we were in a public marina (Sunroad, Walt) I was allowed to build a ramp from the dock to the stern of my boat to get an engine off and back on to my boat.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
This will never happen. Thee EPA is not staffed to have an inspector come out and check every DIYer's work space in the yard, nor are they mandated to do so. The boatyard is a "point source" of water pollution and under the federal Clean Water Act, are responsible for the effluent they produce. This is why more and more yards are restricting DIY activities. And honestly, it's as much about lawsuits against yards by environmental watchdog groups (some legitimate, some not) as it is the EPA enforcing the law.
Actually just had some one PM me that a yard near them did swing back to DIY in a very restrictive area....after working a deal with the EPA and insurance companies they all saw the light of losing too much business in the long run.

I can see the writing on the wall here in NJ...a few yards have become very restrictive in what they will allow you to do and they are almost vacant....the more progressive marina owners are looking for that happy medium....yes comply but compromise.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #54
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Even when we were in a public marina (Sunroad, Walt) I was allowed to build a ramp from the dock to the stern of my boat to get an engine off and back on to my boat.
I love SunRoad and I have tried all the marinas over the years. Our manager is the "best" & even hosts two cruises a year. One to Ensenada, Mexico and one to Catalina. We have parties that would knock your socks off and the response to a legitimate complaint is immediate.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote