Old 11-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post
Interesting, have never heard or, or seen, these crush sleeves you speak of. Might have to retrofit mine if I have to pull it apart again.

Marty.................
They're pretty hard to "see". You may already have them. If not , it isn't a simple matter of sliding them in. They have to be sealed in with high temperature epoxy to prevent crevice corrosion (not shown in these pics). Here's what they look like:

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #22

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
They're pretty hard to "see". You may already have them. If not , it isn't a simple matter of sliding them in. They have to be sealed in with high temperature epoxy to prevent crevice corrosion (not shown in these pics). Here's what they look like:

Definitely do not have them. Not leaking now but will keep this in mind if I ever do develop a leak.

Marty...............
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Survey before purchase on my friend's new "cream puff" 1974 GB42 required replacement of the exhaust hoses. Probably 20 ft each side. $6000 job, as the interior cabinetry had to move to permit the replacement.
NO, I didn't see what was wrong with the hoses. Neither did the purchaser.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:50 AM   #24
FF
Guru

"Survey before purchase"

Many surveyors "find" something so the purchaser can beet the owner down for more than the cost of the survey.

The surveyor is actually screwing both parties by this deception.

BEWARE
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:19 AM   #25

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Survey before purchase on my friend's new "cream puff" 1974 GB42 required replacement of the exhaust hoses. Probably 20 ft each side. $6000 job, as the interior cabinetry had to move to permit the replacement.
NO, I didn't see what was wrong with the hoses. Neither did the purchaser.
I am in pretty much the same situation as your friend. The surveyor said something like this:
"See that plastic around the exhaust hose? They haven't done that in YEARS. They are probably the original hose installed when the boat was built (Marine Trader, 1987). You need to replace all those hoses."
I'm looking at $1000 worth of hose so I can replace something that looks just fine to me. My twin engines are located amidships, and there is a long run to the exhaust ports on the transom. It all seems like overkill to me, but that is what went on the final survey report, and that is what the insurance company wants done. Yuck.
seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:29 AM   #26
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
As long as the hose isn't leaking or break easily when flexed a bit....not sure what the issue is.

I have never seen a "longevity" chart for hose and while critical hoses certainly can benefit from PM, not sure why exhaust hose needs replacing because of "looks".

I have seen hoses recommended by surveyors to be replaced last many years and engine hours past the recommendation.

Looks can be deceiving. Some hose like my sanitation hose looked pristine , still wrapped in plastic, yet I could rip it out with just bare hands. Other nasty looking, burnt exhaust hose or dry, cracked engine hoses were strong and supple enough to last much longer than they thier looks suggested.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I guess it depends if you are "feeling lucky". 28 years is a long time. Hopefully a big item like that was negotiated into the selling price.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote