Old 08-31-2015, 02:49 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Hows this for a confession..? Our boat had had the 240AC transformer removed and the AC circuits rendered dead, and the whole boat was 12DC when we bought it. I decided to 'adapt', (there's that word again), as it was just going to be too expensive to set it all up again as a 240V AC/12DV optional vessel, with new isolating transformer, check or replace all AC wiring, etc, and she is so old, with everything so tight in the ER, there was no place for a decent generator. So, I put up what solar panels I could fit where they won't get walked on, installed a wind generator, converted to 12v DC fridge and LED all possible lighting, and the boat already had propane and an excellent 4 burner stove top/grill and oven. Hot water off engine, no problem, just needed new cylinder.

However, now I want to sell her, I'm told the 'regs' have been tightened, (you know how they try to make everything idiot proof), and the stove is no longer compliant, as there is no flame-out protection on the burners, (there is in the oven). Even though I have remote solenoid switch at the stove that closes off the cylinder, which we always turn off after each use, and the system has worked faultlessly for the 12 years we've owned her, (and before), doesn't count. Not compliant any more, so the stove has to go before sale.

I now freely admit keeping everything as I have it functioning properly is a bit of a PITA, and if I was going new, I'd go genny and all electric, for sure. Also big solar system to minimise penny run time, good inverter and solar controller, (we have big solar system at home - sold on that), and big battery bank. Besides, microwaves are just so handy...

Old 08-31-2015, 06:06 AM   #22
FF
Guru

"So the average genset running time was about an hour daily"

Even an AGM battery with with a huge alt , smart V regulator and batt temp sensor will not be fully charged in an hour.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:58 AM   #23
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Wow! One poster has a 60,000 btu/hr grill and another 90,000 btu/hr. Those are huge numbers, equivalent to a house furnace system. FWIW 90,0000 btu/hr will use up a one pound propane cartridge in 12 minutes. What are you grilling, a side of beef?

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:12 AM   #24
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Another engine and its related systems to purchase, house, and maintain? Not requiring A/C, having a gas stove, and not wanting to spend more than two nights at anchor at the same location at a time; no way hoezay.

How many disdain propane and are worried about the danger when they have a gas-powered dinghy onboard?
Paranoia strikes deep!

Needs for safety concerns/doings keep your eyes open; mind active. Jus sayen...
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Wow! One poster has a 60,000 btu/hr grill and another 90,000 btu/hr. Those are huge numbers, equivalent to a house furnace system. FWIW 90,0000 btu/hr will use up a one pound propane cartridge in 12 minutes. What are you grilling, a side of beef?

David
I was kinda thinking something like that.

My Sea-b-que is 11,000 BTU and is bigger than two people need.

My one at home is (I think) around 40K btu.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:20 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

David
At our old house had 60,000. Currently 98,000. We do occasionally grill for as many as 20-25 people and it's a 54" grill with three regular burners and one searing burner. It's a Lynx.

The 60,000 BTU Weber we had before on propane explains why we have the perception of requiring a lot of propane. Obviously that led to an inaccurate view of propane usage on a boat.

Not quite a side of beef, but we do grill most meals.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:04 PM   #27
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Our boat is all-electric, except for the propane Magma grill that we don't use too often (temp control = blast furnace or off, and it's a pain to clean grease drippings).

Electric cook-top, combo microwave/convection oven, stand-alone slow cooker, coffee maker... all work fine with the genset, and we also charge batteries while we do breakfast and dinner. Water heater works nicely when the genset runs morning and evening, holds hot water long enough 'til the next time.

We had an alcohol/electric cooktop in a previous boat. Alcohol sucks.

No experience with "indoor" propane on a boat, but we have that at our home; works fine. Probably wouldn't want to fool with propane fill-ups "somewhere" if we needed that while underway. (Same reason we didn't pursue a propane outboard for the dinghy.)

-Chris
Old 08-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #28
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
There are places along the ICW that deliver propane tanks as a swap function.

Also heard not all that hard to get refills in the Bahamas or the islands....

But hard or difficult is a relative term.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:53 PM   #29
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
We have a propane oven on the boat with a two burner cooktop and broiler. In the summer, we don't use it. It puts too much heat in the boat. Instead, we bought a portable induction cooktop that we use on shore power or running the generator. We love it! It doesn't put out any residual heat and heat the pans almost instantly. Temps hold rock solid. A bonus that we didn't consider is that we can use it on the docks at our marina where open flames are not allowed. So far, we've done two large fish boils and a fish fry right on the dock. For the fry, we set it at 360 degrees and everything came out perfect. Once it starts to get cold, we will go back to using the propane stove in the boat (when we are not using the grill on the upper deck). In summer, we figure we are going to run the generator at least once or twice a day anyway to top up batteries, run AC and make hot water, and in the morning we use it to make coffee. We don't have an inverter (just a tiny 100 watt one to run the TV at anchor).
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:09 PM   #30
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

We had an alcohol/electric cooktop in a previous boat. Alcohol sucks.

-Chris
I have a non-pressurized alcohol stove, and I have grown to like it. I won't let anyone use it until I give them a lesson, then it's simple. It doesn't get as hot as propane, but great for cooking anything on medium or low heat. I also have a portable butane cartridge stove on the side for quickly boiling big pots of water. This simple setup works well for me.

As someone mentioned; We all adapt to what we have.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:27 PM   #31
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
There are places along the ICW that deliver propane tanks as a swap function.

Also heard not all that hard to get refills in the Bahamas or the islands....

But hard or difficult is a relative term.

Sounds about right. I didn't do much research, just haven't seen any fuel docks here where propane is routinely available. Wasn't actually looking hard, but thought I would have seen one or two. Nada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I have a non-pressurized alcohol stove, and I have grown to like it. I won't let anyone use it until I give them a lesson, then it's simple. It doesn't get as hot as propane, but great for cooking anything on medium or low heat. I also have a portable butane cartridge stove on the side for quickly boiling big pots of water. This simple setup works well for me.

As someone mentioned; We all adapt to what we have.
I couldn't see the flame, and that made me nervous. But it also wouldn't make coffee in a percolator, so I gave up on it. And we had electric at the time, too, so we adapted.

-Chris
Old 08-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
An induction cook top is another nice electric add on. Our many years of home, boat and Euro work induction experiences have shown propane to be a choice in all instances and not a necessity. Throwing in a convection microwave will render gas ovens unnecessary as well.

Our first larger vessel, made in 1971, was all electric. I never gave a thought to running gensets and ACs, ever since. Just felt natural and hassle free. With good choices for large on engine alternators and efficient batteries/inverters, all electric is the standard it would seem. But, a can of Sterno works too so not sure if there a best way, just less troublesome.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:04 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I was talking with someone the other day about the pros and cons of two different ways to configure a boat. I don't even recall what it was - it was just another thing that we could all debate for ever. One person chimed in an said it doesn't matter - whichever you have, you will adapt. Those were some of the wisest words I've heard in a long time, and I think it applies to so many of the this-way-or-that-way debates that we have, whether it's electric vs gas, single engine vs twin engine, which way your windows slant, dry vs wet exhaust, paravanes vs stabilizers, etc. etc. Other than making for fun conversation, it just doesn't matter. You will adapt to whatever you have, and figure out how to make it work. Your trip and use of the onboard electrical system is a great example. And I'm sure you had just as much fun as someone with some other system arrangement.
An emphatic and enthusiastic +1!!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #34
FF
Guru

"Instead, we bought a portable induction cooktop that we use on shore power or running the generator. We love it! It doesn't put out any residual heat and heat the pans almost instantly."

Has anyone has luck operating one of these on a cheap SQ wave inverter?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote