Algae X

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good grief. The point was not an objection to the cost quotation. The objection is that they are not cow magnets.

Oh, NOW I get it. The meaning of my post escaped you completely. You thought I was claiming that the Algae-X uses cow magnets. Of course it doesn't. The cow magnet reference was in regard to the silly little kit my co-worker saw advertised in a magazine and ordered to install on his car. The two magnets taped to the fuel line thing. The point of THAT story was to demonstrate a) how gullible people can be to pseudo-science claims and b) how people who fall for a gimmick like this will staunchly defend their gullibility despite there being no evidence that it works and that logic and common sense indicate that it can't work.

I have no clue what the in-line treatment units like Algae-X and De Bug TM use for magnets.

Sorry that I totally confused you. I thought it was sufficiently clear that the cow magnet story was not talking about the Algae-X itself.

Last edited:
"The point of THAT story was to demonstrate a) how gullible people can be to pseudo-science claims and b) how people who fall for a gimmick like this will staunchly defend their gullibility despite there being no evidence that it works and that logic and common sense indicate that it can't work."

Witness the current fad for clothing with copper inserts.

Copper tubing in a water system , great, the bugs wont grow,

copper in your skivvies , good luck!

I got coppah in mah skivvies
It's all gone green

I got coppah in mah skivvies
It's all gone green

Please tell me this is all just a dream....

I've stayed out of this, but will merely copy and paste the post I made on a thread when a forum member listed one of these for sale. Which included a test, FWIW.

This was done by a very anal and analytical guy on the Hatteras Owners Forum. Pictures are off line now I guess. FWIW. My Hatteras came with them courtesy of a PO. I don't know if they work or not; I just go a long time, 200-300 hours before having to change filters. My penchant for clean fuel? Maybe. The PO seemed to think they made a difference from his "before" experience. Keep in mind Detroits cycle a lot of fuel due to the high return rate. The name is a misnomer, it's the asphaltenes and other precipitants they supposedly go after. They certainly do no harm. The company does make a nice complete fuel polishing system.

http://www.denninger.net/snake-oil-1.htm

For those of you who have so much money that you can throw your good money at goofball ideas, I have a plan to sell a new anchor stabilization system. It's called the Deepwater Ultimate Mass Ballast Anchor Stabilization System (DUMB ASS).

It consists of a matched set of anchor chain attachments called 'enhancers' that maximize chain drag with minimum weight increase which could tax the limits of your windlass. Each attachment will easily connect to each link in your chain. As an added benefit, these enhancers are color coded to serve as rode length indicators. All enhancers pass cleanly and easily through any marine windlass without a hint of problem.

The standard performance enhancing kit with over 500 Enhancers and full printed instructions complete with extra large print and lots of illustrations will retail for US $449, but I will make it available to TF members at 50% off....just $225.

I have a limited number of first run kits available at this time, so you'll need to act quickly to this rare opportunity. Operators are standing by.

15342377-a-cable-tie-tensioning-device-or-tool-may-be-used-to-apply-a-cable-tie-with-a-specific-degree-of-ten.jpg

I've stayed out of this, but will merely copy and paste the post I made on a thread when a forum member listed one of these for sale. Which included a test, FWIW.

This was done by a very anal and analytical guy on the Hatteras Owners Forum. Pictures are off line now I guess. FWIW. My Hatteras came with them courtesy of a PO. I don't know if they work or not; I just go a long time, 200-300 hours before having to change filters. My penchant for clean fuel? Maybe. The PO seemed to think they made a difference from his "before" experience. Keep in mind Detroits cycle a lot of fuel due to the high return rate. The name is a misnomer, it's the asphaltenes and other precipitants they supposedly go after. They certainly do no harm. The company does make a nice complete fuel polishing system.

Untitled Document

George, the fellow on the Hatteras Forum experienced the same results I did, and as presumably commercial and government users have also. I suppose if someone wants information on a topic, they can ask people with strong opinions and no experience of the matter at hand, or people with experience. Clearly, there are quite a few ready to volunteer for the first group. In general, I lean towards the latter, but perhaps that's just me. The idea that because someone purchases a product and find that it works is merely trying to justify their purchase decision is absurd. You might as well state that someone who argues against a product they haven't bought is tainted by their decision not to buy. Both suggestions are nonsense.

And Marin, I think I did understand the message content of what you were posting. You were suggesting that those who think that a Debug or AlgaeX unit reduces a problem they have with contamination when they observe that improvement are as foolish as the fellow who tapes a couple of cow magnets on a fuel line and expects something to happen and were mocking them.

Thanks for the input.

Turns out I have one on my KK54. Just noticed it tonight (it's well hidden). Whodathunkit?

Richard

You were suggesting that those who think that a Debug or AlgaeX unit reduces a problem they have with contamination when they observe that improvement are as foolish as the fellow who tapes a couple of cow magnets on a fuel line and expects something to happen and were mocking them.

When lab tests conducted by the automotive industry conclusively demonstrate that the Algae-X's magnetic properties have zero effect on bacteria and micro-organism development in fuel, yes, your interpretation of my post is spot on. I tend to give scientific tests with definitive results credibility over individual anectotal claims every time.

Does the Algae-X have other characteristics that are worthwhile? I have no idea. The lab tests in the UK on gasoline, diesel, and Jet-A were specifically investigating the magnetic claims made by the manufacturer, and these were found to have absolutely no basis in reality as aplied to the Algae-X. I do not recall the test results saying that magnetic fields have no effect on living cells, period. The tests were specifically conducted to detrmine if the Algae-X, which was being heavily promoted in the UK at the time, actually worked.

The conclusion was that the filter used on the Algae-X units being sold at the time was a good one. The magnetic influence on the fuel and contaminents in the fuel was zero.

Last edited:
To be clear, we are referring to a system/product's claimed benefits on stagnant, old, lower cetane, water laden, buggy diesel fuel. Not clean fresh gas or diesel.

Some time ago I ran across a Nobel winner's thoughts on Gaussian and magnetic field applications to organic chemistry. When this topic has run its course I will find the synopsis and post it. There may be more to this than we mere TF doubters can grasp.

:confused:

The standard performance enhancing kit with over 500 Enhancers and full printed instructions complete with extra large print and lots of illustrations will retail for US $449, but I will make it available to TF members at 50% off....just $225.

You, sir, are a charlatan. $225 is not 50% off of $449.

To be clear, we are referring to a system/product's claimed benefits on stagnant, old, lower cetane, water laden, buggy diesel fuel. Not clean fresh gas or diesel.

Some time ago I ran across a Nobel winner's thoughts on Gaussian and magnetic field applications to organic chemistry. When this topic has run its course I will find the synopsis and post it. There may be more to this than we mere TF doubters can grasp.

:confused:

Worth admitting that there are lots of products that some gullible folks believe in that have no merit whatsoever. Take penicillin for example. I've taken it when healthy and it has no effect on me whatsoever, yet there are those who still believe it actually kills bacteria. Or slotted anchor shafts. I don't have one of course, but I know that those who do have them and who say they present no problems in anchoring are obviously just defending their purchase.

Reminds me a bit of the guy I worked with who buried a potato with a cow magnet stuffed inside to get rid of warts. Glad I'm smarter than that. :angel:

Fascinating thread, now I know why groups of cattle are attracted to steel farm gates.

"Hanging children's art on austinetic SS refrigerators"

Alas, nothing is sacred any more. Our SS fridge, the first we have had, allows this. Here I thought SWMBO wanted SS for its clean look. Seems the grandchildren's art gets priority over that too.

Sometimes if you are really lucky, you can hear the cows head "clink" as it magnetically attaches to the gate.

"Hanging children's art on austinetic SS refrigerators"

Alas, nothing is sacred any more. Our SS fridge, the first we have had, allows this. Here I thought SWMBO wanted SS for its clean look. Seems the grandchildren's art gets priority over that too.

If a magnet sticks to it, it is very low grade stainless if not a faux finish of some kind.

We still dont know how the "entire" fuel system was cleaned by installing the magnet on an engine with "no fuel return". I can understand the fuel being returned to a useable condition thru simply recirculating it, (magnets or not) and possibly removing the water. This reminds me of numerous stories told in the first hand by people that assume I am as dumb as they are. One old boy had bought a new chevy in the mid 70s that got incredible fuel milage, on the order of high 50 mpgs. He said that apparently he bragged a little to much and one night some guys in white lab coats came to his house, removed the carb, replaced it with a brand new stock one and left. His fuel milage became average and he was devastated. He later learned that this was a "SPECIAL SUPER SECRET EXPERIMENTAL" carburator that had accidentily been left on the car and slipped out un noticed. YMMV

We still dont know how the "entire" fuel system was cleaned by installing the magnet on an engine with "no fuel return". I can understand the fuel being returned to a useable condition thru simply recirculating it, (magnets or not) and possibly removing the water. This reminds me of numerous stories told in the first hand by people that assume I am as dumb as they are. One old boy had bought a new chevy in the mid 70s that got incredible fuel milage, on the order of high 50 mpgs. He said that apparently he bragged a little to much and one night some guys in white lab coats came to his house, removed the carb, replaced it with a brand new stock one and left. His fuel milage became average and he was devastated. He later learned that this was a "SPECIAL SUPER SECRET EXPERIMENTAL" carburator that had accidentily been left on the car and slipped out un noticed. YMMV

You know, that is a great point. Not the bit about the conspiracy theory about the super secret carburetor, but the lack of return line on the Sabb diesel I had that had a contamination problem cleared up with a Debug unit. I have it stuck in my head that it didn't have have one, but now that you point it out, I am not sure how I could explain the effectiveness of the Debug without a return line. It was a great engine, if small for what it was pushing through the water. Perhaps a Norwegian diesel engine aficionado can answer the question of whether the 18 hp Sabb engine had a return or did it not. All I know is what I observed. A persistent issue with black body contamination cleared up with the only change being the addition of the aforesaid Debug. Go figure.

If a magnet sticks to it, it is very low grade stainless if not a faux finish of some kind.

Not necessarily, manufacturers put a thin sheet of steel behind or laminated to the door just so the magnets will attach to the door and add strength as the stainless is very thin.

Ted

You know, that is a great point. Not the bit about the conspiracy theory about the super secret carburetor, but the lack of return line on the Sabb diesel I had that had a contamination problem cleared up with a Debug unit. I have it stuck in my head that it didn't have have one, but now that you point it out, I am not sure how I could explain the effectiveness of the Debug without a return line. It was a great engine, if small for what it was pushing through the water. Perhaps a Norwegian diesel engine aficionado can answer the question of whether the 18 hp Sabb engine had a return or did it not. All I know is what I observed. A persistent issue with black body contamination cleared up with the only change being the addition of the aforesaid Debug. Go figure.

Yeah, really makes you wonder doesn't it.

But I think the answer is quite clear, the magic in the magnets is so strong it traveled back up the fuel line to the tank and blew apart all the bacteria in it.

Yeah, really makes you wonder doesn't it.

But I think the answer is quite clear, the magic in the magnets is so strong it traveled back up the fuel line to the tank and blew apart all the bacteria in it.

That's right Bill. Either magic, like penicillin, or a return line like all Bosch injector pumps have.

Must be magic.

Back
Top Bottom