Old 12-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #101
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
It's known as post-purchase rationalization.
I know many boat brands whose owner's fit that statement. In fact I could even direct you to a website ------

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #102
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I guess your opinion, like Bill's, falls under the "If I don't know about it, it doesn't exist" department of information theory. Useful.
What exactly do I not know?

I bought the product, I used the product, it didn't work, I've seen the tests that show the product doesn't work as advertised, I've heard anecdotal stories that they do work and I'm fully aware magnetic fields have many legitimate uses.

So what am I missing?

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #103
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
There are 2 schools of thought amongst most people. Its the best therefor I own it, and, I own it therefor its the best. Boats and the devices associated with them are the very best example of this.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #104
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
What exactly do I not know?

I bought the product, I used the product, it didn't work, I've seen the tests that show the product doesn't work as advertised, I've heard anecdotal stories that they do work and I'm fully aware magnetic fields have many legitimate uses.

So what am I missing?
Well actually, I was referring to the statement that there is no empirical evidence these units work. I think you said the same thing just now, right? So I corrected the record by posting links to empirical experiments that confirm what users who actually have bacterial contamination have to say about the efficacy of these units in addressing the problem. If you don't like anecdotal evidence from people who tell you they seem to work, then perhaps avail yourself of the evidence they do from independent labs. Or not, your choice.

Since you ask, what you are missing is that if you do not have such contamination - and nothing in your posts states otherwise - your observation that the cure for contamination you don't have doesn't do anything is basically nonsense. Or do you want to expand your remarks and clarify that you did have bacterial contamination, then bought the units and they didn't work? If so, how should we weight that anecdotal evidence against the objective information from labs I posted? Based on your standard, it should be dismissed, but perhaps you can clarify why you think they don't work. Because you believe so, or because you have personal experience? Let me guess which one it is....
Old 12-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #105
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Not quite, I simply want scientific evidence which you are unable to provide.
Now if you could provide such evidence, that would be useful.
Well, I don't really feel the need to prove anything to you. Perhaps read the tests I posted, since the methodology they used seemed sound to me. If you don't find them convincing perhaps you can point out why Shell oil or Riva don't come up to your standards of scientific inquiry.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #106
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
If you don't like anecdotal evidence from people who tell you they seem to work, then perhaps avail yourself of the evidence they do from independent labs.
Terrific ..... please provide links to that evidence, that is assuming you mean actual evidence based on scientific method by a certified independent laboratory. Any information provided by you so far has not been based on scientific method.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #107
Guru

The links to the "tests" you provided were published by some outfit called Carina Chemical Laboratories Inc. and don't come close to scientific method. Don't you think it's curious that this outfit does not show up on the internet ?
Old 12-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #108
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Kinda interesting that Shell NZ requested a study and report, results were not condemning. The sample tested was, as I have seen in other studies, problem fuel.
ICI is also a very large company, and their results seem to indicate that the reduction in contamination takes 3 weeks plus. It's been 20 years since I put the Debug on my sailboat, and I can't remember how long it took to clear up the issue I had, but it would have been at least that long. That is the reason I installed them on Delfin. Probably completely unnecessary given how we handle fuel, but you can't measure the effectiveness of something preventative because you can't separate out nothing to prevent from success in preventing. But they were cheap so I figured why not, since they worked before?
Old 12-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #109
Grand Vizier

Quote:
The links to the "tests" you provided were published by some outfit called Carina Chemical Laboratories Inc. and don't come close to scientific method. Don't you think it's curious that this outfit does not show up on the internet ?
Probably time to pay attention to the first rule of holes. Stop digging.

http://www.ianmiller.co.nz/3673.html

But believe whatever you like. You may have confused me with someone who cares one way or another.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #110
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Magic has an Algae X fuel polishing system and two Algae X magnetic devices. They were installed by the PO. Do the magnets work? I have no idea. On the other hand, they look really cool, they are silent, use no fuel or electricity, and did I mention that they look cool?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #111
Guru

Quote:
Probably time to pay attention to the first rule of holes. Stop digging.

http://www.ianmiller.co.nz/3673.html

But believe whatever you like. You may have confused me with someone who cares one way or another.
The tests in the links you provided were published by Carina Chemical Laboratories Inc.

The link you now provide is to a company called Carina Chemical Laboratories Ltd. which shows no reference to the "tests" you previously linked to.

Nowhere in "Ltd." history is there any indication of being called "Inc."

Curious eh ?
Old 12-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #112
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
On the other hand, they look really cool, they are silent, use no fuel or electricity, and did I mention that they look cool?
Howard---I do not recall any of the lab studies/experiments that I read about in the UK motoring press back in the 1990s saying anything about the Algae-X being harmful or detrimental in any way. They were testing the manufacturer's claims about the effect of the unit's magnetic properties on contaminants in fuel. Zero effect is zero effect: not helpful, not harmful.

So if you have them on your boat there is no compelling reason to get rid of them unless they're physically in the way or something.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #113
Grand Vizier

Quote:
The tests in the links you provided were published by Carina Chemical Laboratories Inc.

The link you now provide is to a company called Carina Chemical Laboratories Ltd. which shows no reference to the "tests" you previously linked to.

Nowhere in "Ltd." history is there any indication of being called "Inc."

Curious eh ?
Oh yes. Deeply suspicious. Probably part of a plot to trick you. You can't be too careful to ensure you aren't taken advantage of.

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote