Old 12-03-2015, 11:33 PM   #41
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I don't disagree with this at all. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on one's point of view, I'm not basing my assessment on something not solving a problem I don't have but on the UK laboratory tests I mentioned in an earlier post that pretty definitively proved that the Algae-X does nothing whatsoever with regards to its magnetic properties having any effect on fuel or things in it.

I have seen references to other tests over the years that demonstrated the same thing, but the one I mentioned is the only one I've actually read.

These tests were conducted with the Algae-X. I had never heard of or seen reference to the De Bug TM system before this thread so I have no idea how the two systems are similar or different.
I have no personal experience with the Algae X unit, so I can't comment.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #42
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
No you don't got it. But you did get taken.
So that would be confirmation that you have no experience with contamination occurring with such a unit, therefore your experience would be evidence they don't work. Novel approach to reality, but hey, if it works for you, go for it.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:43 AM   #43
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Marin's posting of cow magnets was much appreciated, if irrelevant.
You failed to understand my point. The point was not what kind of magnets are involved, it was that sometimes "scientific" explanations are negated by common sense and logic.

Thus the parallel between my ex-co-worker's determination to ignore what happened to the fuel in his car after it passed between the cow magnets and into the float bowl and how this negated the "molecule alignment" theory, and the passage of fuel through the magnetic field inside an Algae-X on it's way up the line to the engine which is not where the fuel bug problem is in the first place. At that point in the fuel system, what difference does it make if the bugs are dead or alive?

If one is determined to use a magnetic field to try to kill bugs in the fuel then put the field in or around the tank which is where the little critters live.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:02 AM   #44
Grand Vizier

Quote:
You failed to understand my point. The point was not what kind of magnets are involved, it was that sometimes "scientific" explanations are negated by common sense and logic.

Thus the parallel between my ex-co-worker's determination to ignore what happened to the fuel in his car after it passed between the cow magnets and into the float bowl and how this negated the "molecule alignment" theory, and the passage of fuel through the magnetic field inside an Algae-X on it's way up the line to the engine which is not where the fuel bug problem is in the first place. At that point in the fuel system, what difference does it make if the bugs are dead or alive?

If one is determined to use a magnetic field to try to kill bugs in the fuel then put the field in or around the tank which is where the little critters live.
Actually, I was responding to your statement that your colleague said the units used cow magnets available for $.25. They aren't.

And the only reason to care if the bacteria are dead or alive is that dead bacteria don't reproduce.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:08 AM   #45
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Actually, I was responding to your statement that your colleague said the units used cow magnets available for $.25. They aren't.

This was back in 1980 or something. I don't know how much cow magnets cost back then. It's irrelevant. Our engineer said about a quarter. His point was that they cost a hell of lot less than the fifty bucks our colleague paid for his "fuel saving" kit.

PS-- As it seems important to you I just checked. You can buy cow magnets today for $2.95.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:19 AM   #46
Grand Vizier

Quote:
This was back in 1980 or something. I don't know how much cow magnets cost back then. It's irrelevant. Our engineer said about a quarter. His point was that they cost a hell of lot less than the fifty bucks our colleague paid for his "fuel saving" kit.

PS-- As it seems important to you I just checked. You can buy cow magnets today for $2.95.
Good grief. The point was not an objection to the cost quotation. The objection is that they are not cow magnets. The unit may be over priced. Let's stipulate that all purchasers are being gouged. The question is do they work. Apparently some governments and some commercial vessels and little ole me have experience that they do, and if they do, they do so without resorting to cow magnets.

Now we could all be, as Capt Bill suggests, delusional and simple minded dupes. So, just to put the matter to rest, let me further stipulate that when I observed from first hand experience the resolution of a bacterial contamination problem after installation of a Debug unit that I was in my psychedelic phase and that it is entirely possible all other users of the product, both governmental and private that attest to its efficacy may be similarly delusional due to different, or perhaps similar, mental deficiencies.

Hopefully, that will put the matter to rest.

Ok?
Old 12-04-2015, 01:43 AM   #47
Guru

The late highly competent Australian racing driver Peter Brock briefly produced modified Holden (local GM arm) cars equipped with a Polarizer involving magnets and crystals encased in resin, until Holden decided they did not share his faith in the effectiveness of the devices and ceased the association. Brock had driven extensively in motor racing for Holden`s HDT (Holden Dealer Team) with great brand loyalty, so it was a notable bust-up, especially as Brock really believed in the device.
Brock died years later in a high speed encounter with a tree during a road rally/race. He was greatly revered and mourned, but I think his Polarizer was not.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:54 AM   #48
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Marin. Oh ye of little faith. SOTA Magnetic Pulser Discounted Rebate - Silver Pulser - Water Ozonator - Magnetics - Bio Tuner - ZBB5 - SP5 - MP5
I direct your attention to the "Magna-Flow Magnetic Fluid Conditioner/Fuel Saver" towards the bottom of the page. Read the testimonials.
Perhaps your "testy" responses are as a result of your over exposure to EMF in which case you need use the "Protex-Ion Shield" (same page).
Oh, and don't forget to drink your magnetic water...It REALLY worked for Bob S. The Effects of Magnetic Water
Old 12-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #49
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Delfin, with no fuel return how did the debug unit clean the fuel system ?
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #50
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
So that would be confirmation that you have no experience with contamination occurring with such a unit, therefore your experience would be evidence they don't work. Novel approach to reality, but hey, if it works for you, go for it.
You're making assumptions. The boat that I put DeBugs on had signs of contamination in the filter elements. Not catastrophic but noticable in the filter elements. That didn't change in anyway I could see after the installation of the DeBugs.

As to your fuel getting cleaner, since the magnetic units filter nothing, your fuel is just as likely to have gotten cleaner based on the function of the filters.

If you're happy with them fine. But there is zero independent evidence that they work as advertised. And a good bit that they do nothing at all.

Just saying.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #51
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Carl

As the owner of the finest Trawler on the Forum, given that platform I'd suggest you may may be onto something. For those not in the know, Delfin took the fight to Rocna and won.

But, for those suggesting these magnets work in cows to collect bits of barbed wire I am unmoved. As a former cowboy I never recall packing magnets in my holster, maybe an Urban Cowboy thing.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #52
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
cow magnets for sale on Amazon

Mostly used on dairy farms like the one I worked on. Lots of small pieces of metal lying around in barns and barnyards ..... don't know about the open range.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #53

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
RTF... ever the diplomat. Interesting link, I sincerely doubt the Proton Ionizer is effective, however I did order two magnetic beauty masks. I figure if they don't work to make me purdy, I can use them for holding up seven-eleven's.
Attached Images

Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #54
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
voodoo
Attached Images

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #55
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Marin's point of internal filtration with Algae-X without the hoopla has merit
I had a Algea x system on my last boat & I can't say that the magnets did anything at all. I can state that it was piece of cake to filter the fuel in each take or all at once.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #56
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Mostly used on dairy farms like the one I worked on. .
BP

Got it, de-ionized milk.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #57

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Delfin, the fact that the bacteria cleared up doesn't PROVE the system did it. It may have, it may not have.

I ate chicken soup when I had a cold, and the cold went away. Therefore chicken soup is the cure for the common cold.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence for these miracle cures, but very little scientific evidence. And, there are rules for creating scientific evidence. A tank full of diesel in a boat is NOT a controlled scientific environment.

Did you add any fuel? Did you add anything else to the fuel? What were the ambient temperature extremes? How much was the engine run? And, in connection with that what were the tank temperature extremes?

And so on, and so forth.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #58
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CK " Having spent a lifetime in the field of Microbiological and Biomedical Sciences..." HAH! That proves nothing. Anecdotal opinions only and since you never had any success with the product you're OBVIOUSLY wrong. You weren't using the device correctly.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #59
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
"Now we could all be, as Capt Bill suggests, delusional and simple minded dupes."

Just to be clear, I never suggested you were delusional nor simple minded.

As to being duped, since I bought them once at least you are in good company.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #60
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I am surprised that this argument continues. I have previously pointed out, and will again, that since the magnetic fuel cleaners have come out, the US EPA, which rules the suppliers, has cleaned up our fuel to the point that you can no longer see any effect, if there ever was one, of such a device.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote