Old 11-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #1

City: star idaho
Thumbs down Albin 49 Tri Cabin

Hello: Does anyone have experience with a 49 Albin Tri Cabin in following quartering seas. If so I would sure like to know how she handled. I noticed they are quite a bit lighter than a grand banks 49 classic. Thinking of buying one. Thank You Very Much.
Brooks Peninsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
I owned a 1981 Albin 49 and was extremely pleased with it's handling characteristics. She was quite a bit lighter than a GB, but was a great boat with a lot of room. She has a high sheer and flare at the bow that can catch the wind, but she tracked true and it didn't take a lot of RPM's to get her going. I had 3208's and used about 10 gph for both engines with a cruising speed of about 9 knots if I am remembering correctly. I lost her in Hurricane Jeane in Florida in 2004.

Very solidly built hull. Taiwanese over-building as they say. I would recommend this boat highly if you check for some of the issues that come up on these older Taiwanese boats. The issues that you have to be worried about are soft decks if it still has the teak (I had the teak replaced with non-slip). Also, the aluminum tanks tend to rust, the wiring and stainless steel were not the best and you should check carefully for blistering. If you have any questions drop me a line. I have great memories cruising the ICW on the Albin. She was tougher than snot.
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #3

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
I have a custom built 50 which has a different hull design so although it is close in size I'm not sure how relevant a comparison my Albin would be to the 49's. Mine is 47Gross 37Net tons, semi disp. 5ft draft, decent sized rudders. Aft cabin runs right to the transom, no cockpit. It does handle as well as can be expected in a following sea given the deep draft and huge relatively square stern but like all other boats of similar design, the more transom/boat the waves have to push on, the greater the tendency to yaw. Properly sized rudders and a nice deep keel can mitigate some of this. All in all, I'm pleased to say, Albin seems to have found a working compromise and I believe it tracks at least as well or better than other boat's I've owned.

Before I bought mine I looked long and hard at the 49 trunk models and would have bought one but the wife insisted on a sun deck over the aft. Sadly, I never did get the opportunity to take a 49 out for a sea trial but if it's anything like mine I don't think you will be disappointed.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #4

Thank you

Thank you very much for the detailed reply Cuty. Much appreciated !!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

Say Cutty any chance you can dhare an out of water pic of Albin 49 showing keel and rudders?
Old 11-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I found a photo that I have scanned to my computer but I don't know how to upload it. I would be glad to email it to you or if someone could walk me through the upload process, I'd be glad to do it. When I go to the "insert image" it asks me for a URL and that is Greek to me.

The keel was fairly deep which was great for tracking. The rudders were relatively small, but I never had trouble in close quarters with the turning ratio.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...-etc-5739.html

Post #6 at the above hyperlink (blue thing) should give you the exact information you need. The rest of the thread is pretty helpful too.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

Thanks Cutty: DaveCathey@msn.com.

Also Thank You Capt Kangaroo.

best cursing grounds on our side of the country is British Columbia Canada and Sea of Cortez Mexico. Both are super cruising grounds, but in between is a long way and the seas can be unpleasant. I have had following quartering make for unpleasant nights in the past, but it was in a 53ft planning hull, heavy boat though 60,000 lb with low profile.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #9

Thanks Cutty an Capt. Kangaroo. DaveCathey@msn.com
Old 11-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #10

We have great cruising grounds in Washington State and British Columbia and Sea of Cortez Mexico, but going between the two can be unpleasant. Most people like the trip down better but I had following seas.....
Old 11-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

OK Thanks for helping with this.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

OK Thanks for helping with this.
Attached Thumbnails
1981 Albin Tri-Cabin.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sorry. can barely see keel after uploading.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #14
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thumbs down?

Maybe someone can offer some explanation as to why this post got a thumbs down early on? Was this thumb's down from a moderator? Being new to this forum, I am worried that I posted something that I should not have? Or is that just another member's opinion of what was said? Or their opinion of the quality of the Albin?

Perhaps some Grand Banks owner took issue when the original post compared the Albin's weight to a Grand Banks? I don't believe he was suggesting the Albin can be compared to a GB. He was just asking about how sea kindly she was.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #16
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk47 View Post
Maybe someone can offer some explanation as to why this post got a thumbs down early on? Was this thumb's down from a moderator? Being new to this forum, I am worried that I posted something that I should not have? Or is that just another member's opinion of what was said? Or their opinion of the quality of the Albin?
Doubt it was you - it seems to apply to the thread, not any specific post. I never noticed the thumb thing since it doesn't show up on the mobile app. But I just rated the thread 4 stars (also doesn't show up on the mobile app <sigh>).

Members have asked for a "Like" function for years. We don't have that, but there's something that spams you with a formula message. Also not possible from the mobile app (do you sense a theme here?).
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #17
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Doubt it was you - it seems to apply to the thread, not any specific post. I never noticed the thumb thing since it doesn't show up on the mobile app. But I just rated the thread 4 stars (also doesn't show up on the mobile app <sigh>).

Members have asked for a "Like" function for years. We don't have that, but there's something that spams you with a formula message. Also not possible from the mobile app (do you sense a theme here?).
Too cute! My post immediately generated it's own frowny icon! Maybe it's random...
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
albin, folliwing sea