Alaska for the summer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nautibeaver

Vessel Name
NautiBeaver
Vessel Make
Nordlund 68'
Excited for my trip this weekend, heading to Alaska for the summer, plan on making my way to Ketchikan quickly (10 days). Then to Sitka via Craig (fishing my way north) over 8 days. I’ll fly home and head back with my wife and kids (my sons (9 and 13) are coming with me) back to boat in late July to hit up Sitka to Juneau and glaciers! Then back to Everett later in aug. I’ll try to post pictures along the way. I’ll post link to sat tracker. Let me know if we are in the same area, might not have Klondike bars, but will have other treats!

Nice.

Question: when does "summer" end for you lot?

Beaver,
Most do it that way. Should have left sooner and just done northern BC. Then on to Alaska the following year. Or so.

The fishermen’s traditional departure date is April 15. And heading south in late September. A long summer but Juneau is a long long way up there in a boat. And then there’s the trip back.

It's a Great trip but remember to enjoy the journey...you'll be passing thru or nearby a lot of beautiful places while enroute to your destination.

Beaver,
Most do it that way. Should have left sooner and just done northern BC. Then on to Alaska the following year. Or so.

The fishermen’s traditional departure date is April 15. And heading south in late September. A long summer but Juneau is a long long way up there in a boat. And then there’s the trip back.

Hard to argue with your logic. Job/Family responsibilities hold me back. My wife keeps saying I am going on a retirement vacation, yet, I have a long time before I retire. My response, I could be dead when I retire. I am doing it now.

It's a Great trip but remember to enjoy the journey...you'll be passing thru or nearby a lot of beautiful places while enroute to your destination.

Agree, sadly I did the same last time as well. I logic is as follows:

Bucket List Items
  • Drink a cocktail with Glacier Ice I picked out of the water
  • Show kids Glacier from our own boat
  • View Glacier from my own boat

Family high priority Items
See Sitka
  • See Juneau
  • See Bears
  • See Humback Whales in abundance

Important Items:
  • Catch salmon/Halibut (bucketlist Items for a few of my mates, will have along during the Craig to Sitka leg)
  • Get my sons excited about fishing (by catching a lot of fish).
  • Teach my oldest son important boating items (docking, anchoring, machinery, systems) (he just turned 13)
  • Let them spend time with thier grandpas

Notice, enjoy nice relaxing anchorage and watch the eagles fly around are not there. I am saving those for the days when the kids are no longer under my roof full time (I have 4 ranging from 9-18yo). I agree with your advice, I would likely tell me the same things, but at some point, you have to decide what is key in the short time you have, and make it happen.

NB, I agree with your plan. There are obvious reasons the major cruise lines of the world pass through BC without stopping and into Alaskan waters. Okay, I am now ducking from the tomatoes thrown at me from the BC folks (please remove tomatoes from the can before throwing).

NB, I agree with your plan. There are obvious reasons the major cruise lines of the world pass through BC without stopping and into Alaskan waters. Okay, I am now ducking from the tomatoes thrown at me from the BC folks (please remove tomatoes from the can before throwing).

Hey, come on now. We just got back from a cruise the week before last and we did stop in Victoria.

It was the most boring part of the cruise!

Hard to argue with your logic. Job/Family responsibilities hold me back. My wife keeps saying I am going on a retirement vacation, yet, I have a long time before I retire. My response, I could be dead when I retire. I am doing it now.

One of my coworkers died unexpectedly recently and it caused a few guys to retire early with less money, and a few of us younger guys to rethink some things. Good on you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom