Old 10-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Alaska Calls!!

Spring 2017... My wife and I plan to take a two to three week vacation voyage into Alaska's confines. We do not know Alaska. Would like to fly in and take this voyage on a relatively sane cruise-boat/very-small-ship. Sure do not want to be couped up on the 25th floor nor 2nd floor of a 5,000 tour-person ocean liner sky scraper.

I feel lots of TF members should have great knowledge regarding best (most interesting) places in Alaska to visit... as well as some of the best touring boats to do it in.

Looking forward to suggestions!

Thanks,

Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I haven't been to AK yet, but I have charted up around Anacortes two times, both private (bareboat charters). The most popular are probably Anacortes Yacht Charters and ABC Yacht Charters. Both offer a good selection of boats.

Don't forget those of us to stand and wait--we like to see LOTS of photos.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Farmington, NM
Vessel Name: UTUG2
Vessel Model: Outer Reef 26
Misty Fiords would be nice out of Ketchikan. Fishing for Halibut, rockfish, and salmon out of Cedars Lodge in Ketchikan is excellent. They process fish and will ship. Don't bother going whale watching you will see all you want from the cruise ship.

http://www.expeditions.com/destinati...ness/overview/

ufish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

City: Anacortes Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Here is what you are looking for if you really want to get a feel of what it's like in Alaska:

bnycharters.com This is a 52 foot cruiser and the owner skippers the boat, with room for 4 guests. He has been doing this for many years and will know all the right spots to go. The quests will be helping with the meals. You will probably need to eat lot's of fish, crab, and shrimp, so hope you like fresh seafood.

northwestnavigation.com This is a old 65' wooden cruiser that the owners rebuilt and have chartered for the past several years. The owner is the skipper and his wife does all the homemade cooking on a wood stove. They have room for approx. 6 guests. There are several video's on this boat on youtube. Looks like it would be a great time.

Of course both these boats will go places none of the cruise ships can go.
Good luck.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Last week visiting Alaska, it was around 30-degrees F in Anchorage and 0-degrees in Fairbanks (with ice flows in the rivers). So, when are you planning to visit?
Old 10-30-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 40 Tri-cabin
Take a look at Pacific Catalyst for cruises aboard beautiful old wooden ships powered by old slow turning diesels.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
Guru

Art, FWIW, (maybe not much with your preference), we did it, 10 nights, last May on a Norwegian ship from Vancouver, ending Seattle. We never felt crowded, there were good spots onboard with surprisingly few fellow pax(eg. the top deck forward lounge), we saw a lot at the numerous ports, and enjoyed excellent weather. I know it`s not for everyone, but it worked for us,especially the informality of Norwegian.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #8
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
About every other year we do the summer SE Alaska cruise-ship thing. Done it about a half-dozen times, on Norwegian, Princess, and Holland America. Favor Princess now since they do round-trips from San Francisco so we avoid airline stress and expense. Scenery is fantastic.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Farmington, NM
Vessel Name: UTUG2
Vessel Model: Outer Reef 26
Art, here is the one I was looking for.

ufish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Alaska Dream Cruises I believe is the best small ship company. They will take you to culture in the Native Villages, Glacier Bay and personalized adventures such as small boating or kayaking in remote Alaska. This is an Alaskan owned company with decades of local knowledge.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:10 AM   #11
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Send a private message to Arctic Traveler at this forum or google the name. He has a 49 DeFever and is not afraid to use it either.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:06 AM   #12
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
WOW - What a great bunch of Posts/Replies for ways ta go... into confines of Alaska. Thanks to you all. Linda and I will review all mentions closely and research from names provided.

Again thanks! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:54 AM   #13
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I haven't been there as much as some, but I have been from the beginning of the Inside passage around to Kodiak, all of the Aleutians, most of the islands in the Bering, Nome, all of Cook inlet, much of the Kenai peninsula, parts of Prince William sound and more bits and pieces....

I love Alaska and would go back every summer if I could. But I also feel like I have only scratched the surface of really seeing it all. For a place as big as it is....seeing Alaska is as big of a challenge as the state itself.

So for me, the first question is...what do I REALY want to do?

See a lot and go back and seriously visit favorites....see a little and really get to know that area or something I specifically wanted to do or see....

Tough questions...but they may be the ones you wish you answered before you go.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:14 AM   #14
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
I never get tired of SE Alaska!

The small ships that take 20-50 or more passengers seem like a good way to go - great routes, good activities, not absurdly expensive. Traveling on one that takes only 4-10 passengers could be really nice. We see many of these cruisers along the same routes and in some of the same anchorages we are most fond of.
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:37 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
If you make it to Seward, please look me up.

Always love to share a beer with a TF'er.
www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:25 AM   #16

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
I sold a Northern Marine trawler this past summer that is going into charter service out of Whittier. the company is Phillips Cruises and Tours. They do day trips to the Glaciers also and will have SOUND ENDEAVOR doing charters this summer. here is the Contact info for the new owner.
Contact Us

Toll Free 800-544-0529
Local 907-276-8023
info@26glaciers.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lora Northern Marine.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	58094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lora Master.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	58095  
Old 10-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #17
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So you want to go to Alaska. Big subject. With just two to three weeks will make it tough. Chartering? Bring your boat? What are you interested in? Lots of stuff to consider. We took our first cruise on ASD last year. Thank a look at our blog. Crusty Chief and I are heading back that way summer 2017 to kill as many fish as possible......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I would suggest looking at Un-cruise adventures. https://www.uncruise.com/destinations/alaska-cruises

My Mom has gone on a number of their trips, including an Alaska cruise. She loved it. Small ship, nice folks, and lot of opportunities to kayak and hike.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:21 PM   #19

City: Oakland
Vessel Name: Arcangel
Vessel Model: Buewater 40
What a great post! We're going next year on May... let's see how far we can go north in a month... Open to suggestion starting from south...
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #20
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
What a great post! We're going next year on May... let's see how far we can go north in a month... Open to suggestion starting from south...
Starting from where? What start date? Do you prefer anchoring, or marina? How fast do you travel? How long a day underway do you like?

Over many years we've found that traveling an average of only 30-40 nm per day, underway for 6-8 hours, often including some fishing and floating around gawking, is most enjoyable for us. This past summer, with a bigger boat (Nordic Tug 37, purchased only in May) we hoofed it a lot faster to meet up with guests who had planes already booked. We started May 29, made it from Anacortes to Sitka in only 16 days, traveling 968 nm - average 60nm/day, underway for an average of 9 hours. Slowed down a good bit after that.

It was fun, as it was quite the new experience for us (trailer boat cruisers for the last 25 years), but we didn't have much time to smell the roses. We spent only one day waiting for weather, prior to crossing the Queen (going around Cape Caution to the north coast of BC) - unusually good weather luck, in our experience.

Moving at a pace something like that could be fun if you really want to see how far you could get in only a month - maybe up to Ketchikan and back, or a bit further - depending on where you start, and how the weather co-operates.

RCook is offline   Reply With Quote