Old 02-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #81
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbonas View Post
This is our third season cruising the BC coast. I wanted to do Alaska but the Admral is very nervous about going. We decided to join up with the Waggoners flotilla to Ketchikan and Juneau. They have a 3 day seminar in March for those thinking on cruising to Alaska. This is certainly cheaper than a captain and you get to meet some likeminded people and have the security of an experienced guide. We are looking forward to our trip this May.
As RCook indicated watch your weather! Here is a site I believe you must have on your phone and onboard notepad,computer.

https://www.windyty.com/?55.615,-131.585,1

This side is dead on with wind forecast as well, as you play with it, waves and temp. The really neat thing about this site is you can view Google Earth at the same time. I say this as follows. On my iPhone I only have wind application and with a click on the screen at the proper location (Horizontal three bars) I access the wind velocity control slide allowing me to go from Google earth to showing the intensity of the wind.
Study Southeast Alaska to day and you can see a storm front approaching.

I believe a GPS embedded in your units will assist as it is a GPS application.

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #82

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Roughin'it
Vessel Model: 1983 37' Roughwater
Welcome

You have picked a spectacular slice of the world to start boating in. I searched long and hard for our trawler and everybody has different needs but if I were in your situation I would look long and hard at the mainship 34'. It's rugged and simple. I've owned 32' bayliner and frankly would not feel comfortable in that boat in Alaskan waters. The mainship hs nice cabins, a large cockpit for fishing etc. And doesn't have the same deck rot problems that some of the Taiwanese boats have. A single diesel with a bow thruster is ideal. Spend some good money on navigation and communication equipment. There is lots of things to run into and if you do it is important that you can get help when you need it. Good luck, enjoy the search.

Roughin'it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #83
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughin'it View Post
I've owned 32' bayliner and frankly would not feel comfortable in that boat in Alaskan waters.
Interesting considering that in the 32' size, the Bayliner is far and away the most popular recreational boat found in Alaskan waters.

I guess us Alaskans just do not know our own waters very well.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #84
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Kevin,
Probably for the same reasons it is down here .. if it is and I'll bet it is.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #85
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I would be fine in the 32' Bayliner in Alaska. I wouldn't have taken the outside Sitka to Port Angeles route back perhaps and would have limited some of the other crossings, but remaining inside most of the time, not an issue.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #86

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
I have worked on the 34 mainship and the 32 bayliner. I much prefer the former, I can hardly fit in the ER of the bayliner. There is a fellow here that is the size of a 12 yo boy that most of the bayliner owners use to work in the ER.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #87
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
I have worked on the 34 mainship and the 32 bayliner. I much prefer the former, I can hardly fit in the ER of the bayliner. There is a fellow here that is the size of a 12 yo boy that most of the bayliner owners use to work in the ER.
In that size range, two feet makes a big difference sometimes. The 34 Mainship is a significantly larger boat. Weighs 8000 lbs more, beam is 2'9" more I believe.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #88
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Interesting considering that in the 32' size, the Bayliner is far and away the most popular recreational boat found in Alaskan waters.

I guess us Alaskans just do not know our own waters very well.
Yep what he said!

There are some L48 folks that don't get it.........
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:41 AM   #89

City: Sitka, AK
Vessel Name: Magnetic North
Vessel Model: 1985 Californian 34
thanks everyone. I've looked into the Mainship 34 and most of the ones I've found have either been redone inside and we don't really like the set-up (just a small couch for seating, for one example) or they haven't been redone at all and would need to be. I'm not opposed to a Bayliner but I'd prefer diesel and I don't know enough about the hino motors or if there's anyone here to work on them. Plus I've heard so much about them not always being built great that I'm a little nervous about getting one of the maybe lesser-built models. I could research it more but then I wouldn't have time to shop for boats!

The biggest thing is that we just really like the layout of the trawler styles that have room to walk all the way around, have plenty of room inside and have a nice sized deck. The idea of cruising for a few days sounds great, but the slow speed is also the biggest dilemma I have. Going out to troll or dip net for salmon for a day trip, or even trying to do a hunting day trip with the short fall and winter days, when 4 or 5 hours of the trip is just transportation is something I'm having a hard time with. I keep telling myself that what I gain in size will be worth what I lose in speed, but in all honesty I'm not 100%. It just seems like it checks off more boxes than the small power boat. So far the 34' Californian seems to have a decent combination of size and speed for what we plan on doing. That being said, I'm going to look at a Grand Banks 32 tomorrow so this could all very easily change. Thanks
robs523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:27 AM   #90
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Slow boats are for old folks that have the time. If I were you living in Sitka , working full time, I would be looking at a fast planing boat like a Sea Sport or Osprey. Boats you can actually go somewhere on a weekend or in a few hours after work. Something with out boards or out
drives that allow you to replace props easily, can put on a trailer for the winter, run rapids at speed. A smaller 26-32' boat with 2-300 miles of range would be far more useful. How many slow charter boats do you see in the harbor, not many I would say.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:37 AM   #91

Scary- I have gone back and forth in my mind many times with this since I moved here. I get a 6 day stretch off every 4 weeks or so, and we really like the idea of loading up the kids and going out for a few days at a time. Think of it as camping without the bears. Plus there are so many really great places to go, and getting to a lot of them at 12+ GPH gets expensive fast. Our biggest priorities include safe, reliable, affordable, fishable, and enough room for us all to go out and sleep on. A Sea Sport or Osprey that size costs a lot more than I plan on spending. Most of the charters are much faster but they get paid a lot of money- a lot of which goes right back into their gas tanks. Until my kids can afford $300 a day, I'm on my own for that. I need to get a multi-purpose boat that checks the most boxes on the list. Thanks
Old 02-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #92
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Having been in your shoes with kids and limited time I cruised extensively with a 28' Bayliner. In fact I logged more miles over the water with that boat than both of my next two,a 4788 Bayliner and my Hatteras 48 LRC. Fuel burn is the least of the expense in boating. The 28 burned about 16 gallons per hour at 22 knots loaded to cruise. Slept four comfortably. Think about it in two hours your 44 knt miles from launch, in four hours your in 88 knt miles out. You want to to stay longer and come back in at 34 knts it's your dime. As to rough weather if it's too rough for a 28 it'too rough to be enjoyable in anything. Current is a much smaller player at 22 knts, there will be times you just have to wait for slack water with a slow boat. In fact Peril Straights can be impassable on an ebb as the current and whirlpools are just to dangerous with a displacement boat. The only place a larger boat is better is at anchor or at the dock. If you like to go out and just hang out and exploring new places isn't important, on a tight schedule, than go with the larger boat. Just bear in mind the the berthing and maintenance of the larger boat will more than offset the cost fuel in a smaller boat that sits on a trailer.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #93
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
check this out:

Pacific Boat Brokers Inc.

They even have 5 pages of US registered boats.
Many of the Canadian listings are located at French Creek, a Vancouver Island location that will cut some time off of your travel plans.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #94
RNL

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Rob n' Lee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42' #192
When I lived in Sitka full time I had a 23' Olympic with an outboard, cabin and dickinson stove. It quickly got me to Peril Strait, Goddard and the Forest Service Cabins when I could coordinate time with my kids or guests and my son and I would overnight aboard too. Nice thing about those boats, i.e. Sea Sport, Olympic etc. is you can turn them over pretty easily there, cost less for moorage and upkeep. You can cover a lot more territory faster and learn the area perhaps faster. I do understand the draw for a bigger boat. I have one now and when I'm there I enjoy living aboard as I no longer have my house there. I think that if I had the bigger boat AND my house there as residence that I would not spend the full time aboard her that I get to when I go for the summer and that would change it for me. I understand both perspectives and understand that you WANT a bigger boat and pure logic of the situation does not always apply. So, get what you WANT and make the best of it. I really wish you well with your pursuit!

Glen
RNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #95
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by robs523
Hello, we recently moved to Sitka, AK and I plan on getting a boat sometime in the next 3-9 months.
Rob; I know you set a limit of 36' but you might want to think about this one. Though I have seen it, I link it only as a suggestion with no personal connection.

I would be surprised it you could not get it for US 75k or less.

38' Californian Sedan Bridge Trawler
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:23 AM   #96

thanks Hawgwash, that is a nice boat but bigger and more expensive than we are looking for. Trying to stay closer to the 40-50k range and under 36'. At this point I'm sold on either the Byliner 32xx or a 34' Californian. I'd prefer the Californian but there are a lot more Bayliners available to choose from
Old 01-03-2017, 12:16 AM   #97

City: Bath
Marin, hope to find you here, I have a wndlass question that only you can answer...
can you message me?
Rowglide
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:22 AM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
Marin, hope to find you here, I have a wndlass question that only you can answer...
can you message me?
Rowglide
Hard to imagine that, but maybe, if you take the risk of publishing your email.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:25 AM   #99
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
He hasn't been here for quite a long time. Check the Grand Banks forum maybe.

No offense but I guarantee you are wrong about the windlass question unless you want to know the serial number on his particular one.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:29 AM   #100

City: Bath
Marin removed an old windlass in 2008. He posted a picture of it at the time. I am trying to learn anything I can about that windlass as I own an identical and equally mysterious (though fully functional) one.

Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote