Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #21
City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post

SeatalkNG and Seatalk 2 are both NMEA 2000 just different connectors. I think you would be best served setting up a NMEA 2000 network because anything you add in the future should be NMEA 2000. For example I think your engine and is one of the QSB series and has NMEA 2000 output through a fairly inexpensive adapter.

When I get home tonight, I'll send you some references for the wiring configuration. The color coding is even the same between the two networks. It's a lot easier than NMEA 0183 and with a single connection AIS from a transceiver with a NMEA 2000 interface would be available on any NMEA 2000 networked chart plotter.

Thanks Tom. I had assumed that mine was NMEA 0183 (SeaTalk 1) but you may be right that it is NMEA 2000 (SeaTalk 2). I will see if I can find out.

You are right about the QSB. It can send out engine data but it isn't connected to my Raymarine package. That is something that I would like to be able to do in the future. It would be handy to have the engine data on the MFD, a lot easier to see than the Cummins display that is there.

SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #22
City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Model: Present 38
I used a dedicated antenna for the Sitex. I considered building a NMEA network but after looking at all the pieces required for just a simple basic network I decided the cost was way out of line.

BobH is offline   Reply With Quote