Old 05-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #21

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
The only difference is the quality of the wine in the carpet. They are one-nighters.
There is some truth to this statement although, in my personal experience, to a very small degree.

I've been a landlord since I was a pup, first renting a condo then several houses and now a four-plex, a Mexican beach bungalow and my home, a villa also in Mexico. I rent my villa (Quinta Alegria in Huatulco) to tourist for $1000 USD per night and in my experience, over the last ten + years in renting it out, the "upscale" clientele are much more respectful of the property as compared to the beach bungalow that rents for around $35 USD per night.

What I've also experienced over the years is that if you deliver a clean quality product (property rental) people are more inclined to treat it well as opposed to if you delivered a not so clean and low quality rental property. I believe the same would hold true for someone renting their boat through outlets like Airbnb.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #22
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I'll assume I won't be renting a stay on any of your boats which is cool. We have rented nights aboard a few times now and have enjoyed the experience. Most charter operators do it and am glad Airbnb is in the game too now. Let the old women what if themselves to death. Y'all may not be able to figure it out but thankfully many others have.

Just saw DD's post above mine. Excellent post sir.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
Think about the lawsuit when someone falls down your home stairs and breaks their neck. Obviously theses are non issues with the right insurance....and very rare events in the first place. (boat staying in slip anyway)
I have no stairs in my home.

Seriously though, having guests in your home (or boat) is quite different than renting either one to strangers. Your home or boat insurance should cover guests but not renters.

There are a lot of good reasons not to rent either and only one reason to rent ($$). You weigh the good against the bad and make your choice.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK;
There are a lot of good reasons not to rent either and only one reason to rent ($$). You weigh the good against the bad and make your choice.
I was invited to board a Fleming on Saturday by a really nice down to earth gent. His boat is in a charter pool because; "I didn't get the right uncle, so couldn't otherwise afford to own a boat."
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #25

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'll assume I won't be renting a stay on any of your boats which is cool. We have rented nights aboard a few times now and have enjoyed the experience. Most charter operators do it and am glad Airbnb is in the game too now. Let the old women what if themselves to death. Y'all may not be able to figure it out but thankfully many others have.

Just saw DD's post above mine. Excellent post sir.
Amen. We rented our home for two summers on VRBO (lived on the boat) with no problems. As said above price it right and you will weed out the problems.

Rob
(on Ustica Island, italy)
Old 05-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
I notice some with lesser boats than mine in locations and views no better, getting $500 a night for such ! Could be quite a profit center....except like most of you I'd be afraid the guests would screw up something.... wonder if there is a way to lower that possibility....lock the engine room for one...but still one worries about scratches and other issues.

And if the Airbnb price is 500 bucks, how much does the boat owner get ?

Thoughts ?
You comment on "getting $500 a night." Well, you don't know what if anything they are getting. "They're asking for $500 a night." There are some who just put a boat or house up as available at a price that people aren't likely to pay, but if they do, then great.

Talk insurance, liability, contracts with marinas, upsetting other boat owners, not the way for me. A legitimate charter company route just far more appealing.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
The B&B aspect will void just about every private pleasure policy on the market (hotel exposure). If the policy is a charter policy with a bareboat endorsement, it MAY cover that exposure- but the rub is that it's darn near impossible for an individual to get bareboat coverage.

Tread carefully in this arena....

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote