Old 03-11-2014, 02:44 AM   #1
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
appears to be quite fuel efficient

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boats 269.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	28147

Name:	Boats 270.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	28148 I commented to a fellow in the marina "that must be quite fuel efficient"- he said "I've never seen it move in 4 years". Pretty though.

Name:	Boats 275.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	28149 I love honest boat names

Name:	Boats 281.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	28150 I guess if you never go anywhere, you'll save plenty of money on fuel.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I think that first picture is a Reul Parker design/build.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Are those second and third pictures in the keys?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
first one's bottom looks pretty clean for a dock queen...just launched????
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Us dock queens, as the word in plies, are high maintenance and kept in pristine condition. Including keeping our bottoms clean. The first boat does not appear to be very fuel efficient by hull shape, and size of the out board motor. But certainly has classic lines.Since the Eagle hull is almost straight up and down through out the year I can scub/clean the majority of the hull, and twice a year a diver does the rest.

Last year we put a total of 8 hours way from the dock or about 20 gallons, however for heat we burned 400+ gallons. Since the Eagle is a dock QUEEN condo heat is far more important.
Attached Thumbnails
Eagle on the hard -.jpg  
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #6

City: Baltimore
I never did see the point of some people owning a boat. I would rather have a $40,000 boat that i have time to use than a $4,000,000 boat that never gets untied.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The first boat is very light, long and narrow. They are called "Commuters" after a style of boat on the east coast by that name from the 20s. Transportation to the summer home I guess.

Basically the opposite of a big, fat, heavy and slow trawler. More and more boats like this will eventually come to pass when fuel starts to cost too much. Fuel is still cheap now so long and narrow is rare. When people start buying small sedans instead of big trucks (big PU trucks are driving the market now) boats will get long and narrow.

Think how good looking that boat would be w/o that canvas thing aft.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Guru

Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by eseyoung View Post
I never did see the point of some people owning a boat. I would rather have a $40,000 boat that i have time to use than a $4,000,000 boat that never gets untied.
I guess as long as the owners see the point, much like jewelry that lives in safe deposit boxes that cost the same. To each their own. I don't know if it makes them happy, but it sure makes those who create and sell them happy when bought.
People have their own realities. There's money, then there's money. I got a glimpse of this as a youngster when I met a guy in Atlanta who honestly was thunderstruck when he just remembered he had a Broward Motoryacht sitting down in Florida with a full crew. How does one forget something like that? At the time my dream was just to own a windsurfer! Because it's just one of many things they own, and their accountants pay all the bills. It's called OLD MONEY. Back in the early 90s I sold a sailboat that belonged to Marvin Zales, of the jewelry chain. The boat was in the Rybovich yard in W. Palm Beach. When he showed up, he said: "the old girl looks pretty good, I haven't seen her in years, my accountants just pay the bills Rybovich sends them".. I asked why he hadn't seen her (thinking maybe he lived in another State), and he said "I've been busy playing golf right over there", and pointed across the waterway to Palm Beach toward his house, maybe a mile away. Ok then. A different reality.

Oh, to boats posted. All are located at Stock Island. The 1st one has a 4 stroke outboard. Those engines are extremely fuel efficient, and can be tilted up out of the water when not in use. For some reason none of the boats had any bottom growth, and the Captain I was there to meet, told me they can go years between painting the bottoms there. Saw huge Tarpon in there, so it's not "dead" water. Much like many things down there, I can only go "hmm".

Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
I do believe the 1st boat in the pictures was the Wooden Boat magazine design winner from some year's past for "a fuel-efficient power cruiser". Details escape me (date, in particular), but do believe it was a Reul Parker design.

Result of the competition was a number of light, skinny, minimalist "cruisers" that bear little relevance to the purported focus of this forum. All required that you practice bleeding before embarking on a "cruise", as accommodations were, at best, limited. Advanced camping skills required. And benign weather conditions and flat water.

That being said, this style of powerboat does have application (witnessed by at least one of Reul's designs actually being built and floating in the picture). And this one did achieve impressive fuel economy (>4 nmg, as I recall) when lightly loaded.

Not my cup of tea, but YMMV.

Pete
jungpeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
Phil Fill,

How the heck do you persuade a diver to maintain your vessel's bottom? As I understand the law in Everett, it is illegal for a diver to touch anything but the metallic portions of a vessel's under body while in the water. ie-no bottom scrubbing without haulout.

Inquiring minds want to know. And I want your diver's phone number!

Pete
jungpeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I'm not that impressed w the fuel economy of this boat.

My Willard gets more mpg a has lots more space and range not to mention 100 gal of fuel and fresh water. Also fuel economy where? The commuter is better on skinny waters but Willy does heavy seas as well.

But if you don't need an extra 5 tons of boat and diesel power w all that it provides the commuter would be fine or OK.

At this point in time the commuter would probably work fine for me.

Do you bleed easily Peter?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I'm not sure if fuel efficient is the same as dollar efficient. If you want or need a certain amount of cubic space you can either go long and narrow or short and fat.
The short and wide will cost less in slip fees and haul-outs, at least on most occasions.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
Guru

Speed with efficiency is why boats are long and light....

Commuters were for going to work in Manhattan from Long Island estates in the 20-30's ...

And for every dock queen kept in pristine condition I'll show you 20 that aren't....
Old 03-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Peter, thanks for the personal message. Are you still in Everett?

I believe if the paint is the kind that sloughs off they can not?

Sure you can have his name/number. As soon as the water clears I am having him come check/clean the zincs, though hulls, prop, rudder and heavy growth areas. He does not clean the entire bottom only the heavy growth areas mainly where the stands and blocks where. I am pulling in June but a newbie dirt wantabee person bought the boat moored behind us. He miss wired some stuff so his zincs where gone in three months. So I am hoping he did no damage to the Eagle as the boat is about 60 ft away, but 3 months! Newbees!

What where we discussion? Something bought fuel efficient?

Certainly if the hulls is clean the boat will be more fuel efficient. Dah! Most of the pre 70 and 80 boat where long narrow and planing/semi displacement as MPH was more important than GPH. So full displacement boats/trawler where not very popular at that time. It seems to me the hundred of boats we looked at the Eagle, 58 RW, was the only ugly full displacement trawler, and my wife bought it!

We felt like the ugly duckling for years until we discovered the commercial trawler yards/docks. At least on the commercial docks we were the prettiest trawler around. I guess ugly is relative.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #15

City: Sharbot Lake
Vessel Name: Manatee
Vessel Model: 1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
I wonder how many marina divers get electrocuted.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Guru

Correction: not that it matters, but in the name of accuracy, I just remembered that the aforementioned yacht in Florida the guy remembered he owned sitting with a full crew was a Pacemaker, not a Broward as I had stated. There, thats off my chest.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I wonder how many marina divers get electrocuted.
try Fstbottoms...he posted his recollections once and it sounds like he stays up on the professional level...

thought he said no one he knew of but knew one/a few that were zapped???

But please wait for or contact him for accuracy/specifics.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #18
FF
Guru

until we discovered the commercial trawler yards/docks

Where when cruising a work style boat can usually tie up overnight for free.

Saving $1.00 to $5.00 a foot for docking a 50 ft boat ,

just to take in a meal out, is a nice plus with a non White Boat.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote